"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2017, 04:43 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cooking grits

So for many many years I have "cooked" Quaker instant grits on stove for 15 min up to an hour or two. With a lot of stirring, they get very creamy and delicious.

But living in MN, its impossible to get bulk boxes of instant grits - most come in packets which don't do me any good for cooking for family.
Surprisingly, I can't find large boxes (35 oz or bigger) of instant grits anywhere on internet.

So I tried Quaker orig grits and cooked them similarly on the stove (salt water, slowly stirred in, cooked low heat and stirred a lot) - even with lots more salt and they still turned out terrible. Both taste and texture.

Going to try quick grits next but am scratching my head why I can't cook basic grits.
Any suggestions?

Old 03-19-2017, 05:03 PM   #2
Master Chef

Hi, Moonshadow, and welcome.

I've never used instant grits, only ground cornmeal. Goya coarse ground yellow cornmeal, to be exact. I don't add much salt at all. I cook it for about an hour, stirring frequently but not constantly, and keep adding liquid to it as it thickens. The bag calls for a four-to-one ratio of water to meal, but I end up adding at least a full cup more of liquid as it cooks.

I use whatever liquid is compatible with the meal I'll be serving it with, such as chicken broth for a gumbo. Usually, though, I use half milk (2%) and half water. A large chunk of butter, and cheese if it goes with the meal, are great additions to it right before you serve.

Maybe a milk-water blend would help you, and adding more liquid, too. Good luck!

I've considered trying a finer ground corn since I have fine ground for baking, but I've read that too small of a grind results in a pan of paste. No, thanks!

Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:08 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Here in my part of the South, grits can be part of just about any meal. As a matter of fact, we're going to have grits tomorrow for breakfast.

I've never had any experience with quick grits. Always been cooking the original version.

You might want to have a look-see at this information from Southern Living magazine. I've never had anything bad from those folks.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:27 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks for info thus far.
I am familiar with using broth or a milk combo but haven't tried. Also,have "finished" the grits many ways with bfast and dinner combos. Historically I start with far more water than grits and as they cook keep them stirred and add water as necessary so they don't get too thick.

What specific brands are you using (thanks for the Goya)?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:52 AM   #5
Sous Chef

I use Jim Dandy and have for years. I do mine with water and butter mixed and whisk when I first put them in and let them cook until they are tender. check out Amazon there is a ton of them there. https://www.amazon.com/Jim-Dandy-Enr...ds=grits&psc=1
Old 03-20-2017, 07:18 AM   #6
Master Chef

IMO, having nothing is better than having instant grits. Delta Grind gets my vote for real grits. You can order on line.

Welcome to DC!
Old 03-20-2017, 11:01 AM   #7
Master Chef

Courtesy of the late George Carlin:

Hi there folks. Welcome to the cooking show. A lot of you folks been writing in asking us “How do you cook them damn grits?” Well, we're gonna to show you today how you cook them damn grits.

First of all kinda get those grits down is a shallow sauce pan, kinda get a little water, about an inch and a halfa water above them grits. Get that thing boilin', get a good high rollin' boil, a high rollin' boil, we call it a high rollin' boil. Get that thing goin' good then you're gonna drain them off a little bit, drain them off a little bit, get a little steam out here, drain them off a little bit.

Get 'em down a little bit of moist little patties, two fat moist little patties. Put 'em in a hot skillet, a hot skillet with lots of hot grease, get 'em brown on one side, get 'em brown on the other side, and then throw 'em away. They're no good folks, you can't eat them damn grits.

Hi there folks. Welcome to the cooking show. A lot of you folks been writing in asking us “How do you cook them damn grits?” We're going to show you today how you cook them damn grits.

First of all kinda get those grits down is a shallow sauce pan, kinda get a little water, about an inch and a halfa water above them grits. Get that thing boilin' good, get a good rollin' boil, a high rollin' boil, we call it a high rollin' boil. Get that thing goin' good then you're gonna drain them off a little bit, drain them off a little bit get a little steam out here, drain them off a little bit.

Get 'em down a little bit into moist little patties, get 'em down into moist little patties, two little fat little moist little patties. Put 'em in a hot skillet, a hot skillet with lots of hot grease, get 'em brown on one side, get 'em brown on the other side, and then throw 'em away! They're no good folks, you can't eat them damn grits.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:19 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Instant grits cooked for hours?
We like grits and never use the instant. We use stone ground yellow grits.
They take 20-25 minutes.
They are great. Salt, pepper and REAL butter for me.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:38 AM   #9
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I love grits and usually use Albers quick grits - you can find these in most stores and on amazon. They come in a box and take about 10 minutes to cook.

There are several kinds of grits and I think that if you are cooking for hours - you're probably using stone ground and maybe cooking more than needed.

Stone ground: Stone-Ground Grits can take anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes. Can be soaked in water overnight, but it is not necessary. Stone-Ground Grits are very perishable and should be stored in the freezer (they get rancid).

Quick and Regular grits take 5 to 15 minutes to cook

Instant: Comes in packets; add hot water and stir. Avoid these - they just aren't very good, imo and are often loaded with salt
Old 03-21-2017, 05:50 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Let me rephrase that I don't "cook" instant for hours more that they simmer for an hour sometimes while everything else is cooking.
Thanks all.

Tags
cook, cooking, grits