"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2019, 01:32 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Lol, unfortunately not, K-L. Our laundry room is small with direct plumbing to the waste lines, and our basement was blasted out of solid rock up here on the mountain. Since the basement is below grade, I can't have normal, gravity affect plumbing to have a utility sink down there. I'd have to install a powered pump.

I'm probably going to pick up a standalone utility tub and Jerry rig it where the old sink would have been. Gotta figeure out how to run water lines, though. Duct tape won't hold for long.

Then I have to clean out the trap in the downstairs bathroom now that it is starting to get clogged up.

Fun fun fun.
Go to an RV dealer, and get some food-grade water hose. You can also find it at some places like Home Depot, but in short lengths. It will look like a garden hose, but will be white.

Get a cheap utility sink, and put a five gallon bucket under it. As long as you use a bio-degradable soap, like Campsuds, you can dump the wash water out in your yard. You should be able to buy Campsuds at the local Walmart or sporting goods store.

It will be like camping... but not as much fun.

CD

Old 02-05-2019, 03:52 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
...As long as you use a bio-degradable soap, like Campsuds, you can dump the wash water out in your yard...
You don't even have to get as fancy as "Campsuds". I use 7th Generation dish soap in our kitchen. It's biodegradable and very environmentally friendly. I even use it to wash off our fruits and veggies.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:31 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Even laundry detergent, my washer discharge line is hooked up to a 50 gal rain barrel with a long irrigation tube leading out to the back yard,
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Go to an RV dealer, and get some food-grade water hose. You can also find it at some places like Home Depot, but in short lengths. It will look like a garden hose, but will be white.

Get a cheap utility sink, and put a five gallon bucket under it. As long as you use a bio-degradable soap, like Campsuds, you can dump the wash water out in your yard. You should be able to buy Campsuds at the local Walmart or sporting goods store.

It will be like camping... but not as much fun.

CD

Good ideas Casey. Not much fun but it has to beat hauling pots, pans and dishes in to work.

Frankly, I'd just rent an RV to put on the property while the work is being done. It would also be somewhere to go to get away from construction noise in the house.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:50 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

I appreciate the suggestions, but with the exception of the past few days, our daily temps have been in the teens and single digits, especially at night. Any kind of camping setup or RVing is out of the question as a going concern.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:07 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I appreciate the suggestions, but with the exception of the past few days, our daily temps have been in the teens and single digits, especially at night. Any kind of camping setup or RVing is out of the question as a going concern.

Geeze, there I go, not thinking about your cold temps.
Still, if you had an electrical cord from your house to the RV you'd have heat for your daytime sleeping without any construction noise.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:41 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
My suggestion was to use the food-grade RV hose to get water to a temporary sink in (or close to) your kitchen.

CD
Old 02-06-2019, 11:46 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes, and it was a very special suggestion.

Thanks so much for participating.

Here's a trophy. Now, run along...

Lol, sorry, couldn't help it.

I've been planning on installing a standalone utility sink where the old sink was. I just need the time off. Between the Stupid Bowl last week and Grammys this Sunday, I'm swamped.

buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cook, cooking