"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2019, 04:10 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Cooking/Home-cooked meal withdrawal

So, the past few days I've been away at a convention.
I love going to new restaurants, trying new foods. Im always looking to expand my culinary / palate experiences and knowledge.
What I've notices, is that there comes a point ( at least for me), where I crave being back in the kitchen, cooking, experimenting or just whipping ups familiar home cooked meal. For me, after about 2 or 3 days, I start missing it. When I visited my son in Montana last year, it wa a 10 + day stretch without a home cooked meal, It almost drove me crazy. Ive also been known to get a hotel room with a small kitchen, hit up a local grocery store, and make something home made , on the road.

Just curious if anyone else experiences the same , or can you go on an on eating out, with no desire to get back into the kitchen and get your hands dirty.

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:09 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm right there with ya, El Aurens of Lawn Guyland.

My wife begged the guys demolishing our kitchen to reinstall the stove so we could just cook something...anything.

And afterwards, I've been hauling the used pots and pans into work to wash them there.

Even if I still had my apartment on West 72nd, or better yet on 9th Ave, we'd still get sick of eating out everyday.

And it's only been 2 weeks. 5 or 7 more to go.

Btw, if you're in the city tomorrow night, stop by CBS. You can watch the Super Bowl from the studios, and there'll be catering everywhere.

buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:11 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Larry, I've experienced the same thing though not to the extent of renting a kitchenette so that I could cook for myself on the road. When we going away on vacation, there're always lots of great restaurants, but towards the end of the trip I long for a home-cooked meal. Something like pot roast or my own pasta with meatballs and sausages. I guess we're just not cut out to be world travelers.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:26 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Craving a "home cooked" meal is the same as craving any certain food you love. There are times when Pirate and myself just don't feel like cooking. Yesterday was one of those days. Today there will be chicken legs in the oven along with baked potatoes. We both have just been picking what ever we found in the fridge. No pickings left. So thank heavens Pirate took the chicken out of the freezer.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:55 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I hear ya Larry. SC and I have done a lot of traveling and one of the best things about coming back is home cooked food. We enjoy cruising, but with the rare exception, the food is always beautiful but bland and tasteless to us.

Even the spectacular looking desserts taste like nothing. Unlike some, I actually loose weight on a cruise, so that's a good thing.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:50 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I can relate, larry. At least our annual vacation is at our timeshare down on Fort Myers Beach, FL. We have a full kitchen there, so I can cook whenever I want. When we first would go down, I cooked all of the time to save money; Himself had just been laid off, he wasn't getting Social Security deposits, and I was holding the purses strings close together. Once money started back into our bank account, we went out all of the time - for a vacation or two. Now we dine out most of the time, but I have to cook one or two suppers just to keep from getting nervous.

When we spend any time with our kids, we stay with our daughter in her condo. I take over the kitchen and cook lots of big family meals. Even then, when I've spent most of the nights cooking for people I love, I really enjoy getting back home to my kitchen. It's comfortable, like a perfectly fitted pair of shoes.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:41 PM   #7
Executive Chef

As some of you know, I travel for weeks at a time. I spent most of the month of December on the road. And yes, eating out gets old. Plus expensive and fattening. A salad can cost fifteen bucks, and have 1,500 calories.

Now, if I am meeting up with a bunch of old friends, like I did for the SEMA convention last year, it is different. The meal out is more about talking, laughing and eating... in that order.

CD
Old 02-02-2019, 06:24 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
I'm right there with ya, El Aurens of Lawn Guyland.

My wife begged the guys demolishing our kitchen to reinstall the stove so we could just cook something...anything.

And afterwards, I've been hauling the used pots and pans into work to wash them there.

Even if I still had my apartment on West 72nd, or better yet on 9th Ave, we'd still get sick of eating out everyday.

And it's only been 2 weeks. 5 or 7 more to go.

Btw, if you're in the city tomorrow night, stop by CBS. You can watch the Super Bowl from the studios, and there'll be catering everywhere.

What a total PITA Bucky!! Doesn't that gorgeous house have a laundry service porch with a big wash tub for those dishes? That's what I used when my kitchen was torn up. It's so miserable to be without a working kitchen and I can't imagine WEEKS of that!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:43 PM   #9
Head Chef

I'm with you larry, before I worked for myself, I worked as a rep on the road. It involved 1 week every month away, so meals at the local pubs were every night, good grub, but not the same, by the following week I was hanging out for home cooked. My faves to this day are cheap meals, like I was raised with. We never had a lot as a kid. My kids are the same now, they love cheap cuts of meat as well.

Russ
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:45 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Lol, unfortunately not, K-L. Our laundry room is small with direct plumbing to the waste lines, and our basement was blasted out of solid rock up here on the mountain. Since the basement is below grade, I can't have normal, gravity affect plumbing to have a utility sink down there. I'd have to install a powered pump.

I'm probably going to pick up a standalone utility tub and Jerry rig it where the old sink would have been. Gotta figeure out how to run water lines, though. Duct tape won't hold for long.

Then I have to clean out the trap in the downstairs bathroom now that it is starting to get clogged up.

Fun fun fun.

buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cook, cooking