Cooking in stock question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Argamemnon

Senior Cook
I have just made my first veal stock, it's still cooking :) I want to cook lentils tomorrow, maybe also lentil soup, but I don't know how much stock I should use..

Using only stock would of course be way too heavy I assume? If I use 1 cup water, how much stock should I add for example? Thanks in advance!

it depends on how much you reduce the stock but usually its not much of an issue

I would give ti a quick taste before cooking the lentil and see if you should dilute it.

I love stock and I make my own all the time. I keep it on hand for everything.

when I make my stock I usually reduce about 2 gallons down to about 2 quarts. the flavor is assume and it gives it a wonderful flavor. its not at all thick. you would have to go down to liek a a pint before it gets thick.

did you roast your bones and mire poux?

when I make my stock I usually reduce about 2 gallons down to about 2 quarts. the flavor is assume and it gives it a wonderful flavor. its not at all thick. you would have to go down to liek a a pint before it gets thick.

I'd use that like a demi. A coupla tablespoons in a pan sauce..YUM.

Can't wait for winter. :rolleyes:

it depends on how much you reduce the stock but usually its not much of an issue

I would give ti a quick taste before cooking the lentil and see if you should dilute it.

I love stock and I make my own all the time. I keep it on hand for everything.

did you roast your bones and mire poux?
I roasted my bones in the oven with tomato paste (about 45 minutes). And I want to cook it for 4 or 5 hours. I don't know what mire poux is (I'm not that experienced).

Mirepoix

It's the term for the finely chopped onion, carrot and celery that is the base for many sauces, soups, etc. as well as other dishes.

Just taste your final product and add water according to your taste.

I lvoe leeks

I also throw mushrooms in mine if I got them.

on a stock note: when I make Chicken stock I take soem and Ill take my left over shrimp shells and lboster shells and ill make it into a very tasty seafood stock.

yeah it will be very very very bland but youll see how strong the flavors are. and from there you can see if its too strong for you and that you want to dilute it but i use it straight up how i have it.

Ok thanks. Also, I don't want to waste any stock (using too much for example), so I hope I can use it for weeks. I'm going to freeze it..

I got a conference call in a bit so willnt be around for a bit but......

I freeze all my stock.

You can make another stock by reusing the veggies, bones and stuff, its called a remouilde (sp?)

got to run

I have just made my first veal stock, it's still cooking :) I want to cook lentils tomorrow, maybe also lentil soup, but I don't know how much stock I should use..

Using only stock would of course be way too heavy I assume? If I use 1 cup water, how much stock should I add for example? Thanks in advance!

I make much of my own stock and since I do, I try to make it last. I often use stock/water combinations. If a recipe asks for 3 cups of stock, I will use 2 cups of my own stock and 1 cup of water. I do this just in case my stock is to heavy. And if it is too mild, I can always add flavor to perk it up.

I love making stock, it is a good way to put bones, veggie stuff to good use when you can't use it all in your daily cooking.

I just need to figure out how to make some good beef stock!

Back
Top Bottom