"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
Head Chef

Cooking influence and style

I know the way I cook comes mainly from my mom. She made everything homemade. I don't remember her using anything from a box. So when I moved out and had a family of my own, I was accustomed to homemade foods. I tried premade foods and foods from a box but didn't like the taste. So much of what I make is homemade. I'm more into comfort foods but not limited to...

Where did you're cooking influence come from?

What would you say is your cooking style?

Old 09-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I can't say my cooking style came from my mother. I began cooking for my 4 siblings and my family when I was 8-years-old, so I suppose I developed my own style as I went along. It was a matter of necessity and my mother was rarely present in the kitchen.

I did a LOT of reading and joined a cookbook club when I was 12. I still have all those cookbooks, which have pages that have gone beyond yellow.

I, too, am used to a cook-from-scratch base and still do that. I even did it when I raised 8 children and worked multiple jobs. I discovered that many or most times it took just as long to prepare something from scratch than it did to use something already premixed or premade. And, as you noted, the flavor was certainly much, much better.

My style is very varied. That is, I can switch from very homey, to extremely elegant to anything in between, depending on my mood and the people I'm preparing the food for.

I love to bake and I also take great pleasure in producing a wonderful entree or side dish, but this is as a result of way over 50 years of cooking.

That's the long answer to your question. The short answer is that my cooking influence came from trial and error and lots and lots of reading and my style is very, very eclectic.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I can't say my cooking style came from my mother. I began cooking for my 4 siblings and my family when I was 8-years-old, so I suppose I developed my own style as I went along. It was a matter of necessity and my mother was rarely present in the kitchen.

I did a LOT of reading and joined a cookbook club when I was 12. I still have all those cookbooks, which have pages that have gone beyond yellow.

I, too, am used to a cook-from-scratch base and still do that. I even did it when I raised 8 children and worked multiple jobs. I discovered that many or most times it took just as long to prepare something from scratch than it did to use something already premixed or premade. And, as you noted, the flavor was certainly much, much better.

My style is very varied. That is, I can switch from very homey, to extremely elegant to anything in between, depending on my mood and the people I'm preparing the food for.

I love to bake and I also take great pleasure in producing a wonderful entree or side dish, but this is as a result of way over 50 years of cooking.

That's the long answer to your question. The short answer is that my cooking influence came from trial and error and lots and lots of reading and my style is very, very eclectic.

You know......something I haven't master yet is cake baking. My mom could whip up a cake in a moments notice. I wouldn't let anybody even see my cakes, lol. Maybe twice in my whole history of cooking have a had a cake turn out ok. But I haven't given up yet.....
Old 09-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Never give up.

And in the words of my grandfather, "Take it easy. Make it nice."

You'll get there.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Never give up.

And in the words of my grandfather, "Take it easy. Make it nice."

You'll get there.

lol, I won't.. thanks.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
Master Chef

My mom and my paternal grandmother were the big influences for me.

I was raised on country, home cooking. This type of cooking was best described by Mama Dip as "dump cooking"! A little of this and a little of that, butter the size of an egg or the size of a walnut etc.

I enjoy all types of foods but, I do not feel comfortable cooking new items until I have done it enough times to "wing it". I am very interested in the foods prepared by people who have come to this country and have learned to adapt our local ingredients to the cooking styles they grew up with.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
Head Chef

Well, definitely not from my mother's side. My mom is a good " Recipe Follower" but can not deviate at all from the recipe. My grandmother ( on her side) grew up in the depression, her parents from eastern Europe. When I was old enough to remember her cooking, she was suffering from ulcers and diabetes. That being said, her food was bland, unseasoned kosher peasant food. The only thing I remember that was rally good was her Hungarian Goulash served over egg noodels. All this being said, my fathers side was really my influence. I can remember as a child on a rainy day, my father putting a few records ( not cd's. mp3's or even 8 tracks) on the stereo ( which was the size of a love seat) and cooking the whole day ( Manhattan clam chowder, stuffed artichokes...things like this). As a kid he would let me help by cutting up the vegetables and letting me use a " real " knife, but taking the time to teach me how to properly use it. Since then ,I have become a vegetarian ( not because of his or my grandmothers cooking) and have taken it as a hobby to A) try and recreate some of my favorite childhood food dishes into some kind of vegetarian similarity, and B) look for new inspiration. I started by trying to find pen pals/ internet e-mail/ chat pals around the world to learn as much as I can. ( this was all pre cooking forum days). Unfortunately, I found that so many people take in or buy prepared food than cooking them. Then the cooking forums arrived, which made my life easier. Also, I love attending food and wine festivals, watching the cooking demos, speaking to the chefs, watching the cooking shows ( especially the pbs ones like Jacques Pepin, Julie Child, Jeff Smith and others. I actually watched these shows as a kid, pre- computer and food network days. Even though primarily the topic is meat based, I love learning new techniques, new cultures ( through foods). I also love the challenge of trying to incorporate various ethnic flavors in my diet, and love learning new cultures that have a big influence in vegetarian food.

Larry
Old 09-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #8
Head Chef

@auntbea
My mom is a great cook but I also remember my grandmother's cooking. She cooked many dishes you don't even hear of today. Many of the ole' timey foods like butterolls (a pie consisting of crust and a syrupy filling), coke cola salad (it was a jelled type salad made with coke) and many others. My mother hasn't cooked in years since she's become elderly.
I miss both of their cooking. Some of those old ways of cooking are lost. I hate that....

@larry_stewart
My dad cooked also but he was a hunter. The things he cooked were like possum, squirrel, turtles,lol, name it he ate it. So, I didn't take on a any of his cooking style,lol. I remember he had caught too rabbits for cooking. ANd I cried until he had to let me keep them as pets...but the next morning I woke up one was missing. He claimed it must have gotten loose but I think otherwise.......
Old 09-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't think I had any influence. Probably why my cooking "style" is haphazard and my tastes carefree.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:54 PM   #10
Head Chef

My dad was also an avid gardner which he learned from his father ( my grandfather who had died before I was born). I used to help him in the garden. Now as an adult, i think Im more of an avid gardner than he is. So during the growing season, whats ripe and available in the garden ( and what I am capable of growing) also influences me.

Tags
cooking