Cooking meat in an "aluminum foil bag"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashashashhh

Assistant Cook
Okay, before I ask my question let me explain what I mean by cooking meat in an aluminum foil bag - My step dad recently suggested to me to try cooking my pork chops in an aluminum foil "bag", adding a cup of water, my choice of seasonings and then sealing it shut. I put it in the oven at 350 degrees for an hour and they came out the best pork chops I have ever had.

Has anyone cooked anything this way? I have been all over the internet researching and I have only found a similar cooking method.. Sous Vide, but the meat never touches the water. I have new york strip steak that I want to try this way (sticking it in a homemade foil bag with water) because I was so pleased with the way the pork chops came out.

If you have cooked meats this way, specifically steak, please let me know of temperature and cooking times used! Thank you in advance!:D

Used to do that all the time back when I was in Boy Scouts. Did camp fire beef stew and fish in foil. Not much different than in papillote.

Yeah, Google "foil pouch cooking" and you should come up with all kinds of ideas. Even using a dishwasher to cook using this method. It's popular amongst campers and outdoor cooking enthusiasts. Typically doing the whole meal in the pouch.
There's recipes here as well using this method. Oven or grill with the lid down, it doesn't make much difference.

yup, what they said. Also, use something more flavorful than water. Stock, soy sauce, wine, etc. I use this method sometimes for fish. I don't use it for meat as the meat ends up steamed rather than browned.

I do several types of fish in a foil pouch, my favorite is grouper or wahoo fillets. For the liquid I use a mixture of fresh squeezed lemon juice and butter, just a couple tablespoons for each pouch, and I also include herb seasoning, finely chopped hot pepper, a couple of rings of bell pepper, a couple of rings of sliced onion, and a tomato slice. Seal it and cook in a 400° oven for 15-20 minutes.

Imagine, such great responses that I really have nothing to add. Has anyone around here seen me speechless before!:ohmy:

The others nailed it. I've cooked fish in foil pouches as a demonstration to a group. Several people who said that they didn't like fish, liked it cooked in the pouch, with a little lemon, dill, and butter. There were diced spuds and carrot chunks in there too.

I also 2nd what Andy said; some meats just need to be browned. I wouldn't cook a steak in a foil pouch, though I might make a magic stew in one. Put all of the stew ingredients into the pouch, along with some flour. Let it all cook, with the moisture from the steaming foods moistening the flour, and turning it into gravy. That would be a good experiment, I think. Instead of adding flour, maybe I should add roux instead.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Imagine, such great responses that I really have nothing to add. Has anyone around here seen me speechless before!:ohmy:

The others nailed it. I've cooked fish in foil pouches as a demonstration to a group. Several people who said that they didn't like fish, liked it cooked in the pouch, with a little lemon, dill, and butter. There were diced spuds and carrot chunks in there too.

I also 2nd what Andy said; some meats just need to be browned. I wouldn't cook a steak in a foil pouch, though I might make a magic stew in one. Put all of the stew ingredients into the pouch, along with some flour. Let it all cook, with the moisture from the steaming foods moistening the flour, and turning it into gravy. That would be a good experiment, I think. Instead of adding flour, maybe I should add roux instead.

Chief, what was that again? You know, about being speechless and having nothing to add???

I would skip the 1 cup water. You will have enough liquid without adding any.

I do my fish in parchment with garlic, baby carrots, asparagus, red bell, onion and a pat of butter.
A sprinkle of my seasoning mix and you have a complete meal.

Chief, what was that again? You know, about being speechless and having nothing to add???

I'm tellin' ya, it wasn't me. I typed the first part about being speechless, and then, a foreign entity invaded my body and just started typing.:ohmy::LOL:

That's my story, and I'm standing (or rather, sitting) by it.:angel:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

It sounded like a scouting method me. When my son and his dad were in scouting they cooked all kinds of things in foil My son has cooked meat in foil strapped onto the manifold of his Model Ts.

Scouting or French. They use parchment paper and call it 'en papillote' meaning 'in parchment'.

When you can't put it on a stick, or in a pot, put it in a foil pouch.:mrgreen:

It would be an interesting project for us, to make dinners in a foil pouch, including stews, whole meals, and even deserts. Maybe we should start another thread where we could post the results at our attempts.

Lasagna in a pouch, hmmm, I wonder if it could be done.:huh:

Back
Top Bottom