Cooking multiple items in a microwave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My microwave has a button that stops the tray from rotating. I use that when I use my oblong dish that would hit the sides if rotated. It just involves more stirring.

When I am using the microwave as a conventional oven it still rotating, can I take the circular plate out and put a square metal tin with chips in to oven cook or does it need to be rotating in oven mode to assist in cooking.

Thanks

The rotating helps with even cooking. You do not want to put metal in the microwave unless it is something specifically designed and labeled for microwave use. You could cause a fire or ruin your microwave otherwise.

The rotating helps with even cooking. You do not want to put metal in the microwave unless it is something specifically designed and labeled for microwave use. You could cause a fire or ruin your microwave otherwise.

I read somewhere that when using it as an oven you can use metal, I dont think it will be a good idea to grill on plastic or using it as a oven only?

Sorry, I missed where you said conventional over. I would read your manual carefully and go by that.

I read somewhere that when using it as an oven you can use metal, I dont think it will be a good idea to grill on plastic or using it as a oven only?

My microwave functions as a somewhat conventional oven ;) - it has a halogen bulb to provide heat. It came with a separate metal tray for use in that mode. But I would check the manual that came with yours to be sure.

Are you cooking the rice and curry together or warming them together? I have a pretty good microwave and no way will it cook rice in 4 minutes. Cooking and warming are two different time zones. If it's to already prepared dishes that are being heated to serve as meal, I would start the 7 minute product and give it 3 or 4 minutes, then add the 4 minute dish. If the food isn't hot enough at the end of 7 minutes, which I doubt it will be, give the microwave a little more time. The directions on the package are really suggestions according the equipment the kitchen lab at the plant that made the food. If your microwave is a different machine, the time might be longer or shorter. And I would not bother with divided/sectioned cooking dishes. The thrift stores are jam packed full of magical microwave cooking vessels.

And i don't think any popcorn has been made on the stove for at least 25 years. Maybe more.

We still make popcorn on the stove because most microwave popcorn has way too much salt for me. I used to have an air popper but I gave it away in favor of microwave popcorn. Then I had to start really watching my salt intake.

We still make popcorn on the stove because most microwave popcorn has way too much salt for me.
You do not need to just use microwave popcorn. You can pop regular popcorn in the microwave. That is what I have been doing for decades now.

Something else to watch are the twist ties that come with bread and the ones we save to reuse.
I once did not notice the tie, and proceeded to defrost something in the microwave.
I caught it right away, but it ruined the contents of the package.
I see they now make "no metal" type twist ties. Plastic.
I guess for this purpose or to save on cost. Probably both?

We still make popcorn on the stove because most microwave popcorn has way too much salt for me. I used to have an air popper but I gave it away in favor of microwave popcorn. Then I had to start really watching my salt intake.

You do not need to just use microwave popcorn. You can pop regular popcorn in the microwave. That is what I have been doing for decades now.

Can you explain the steps in using the microwave for making non-microwave (regular) popcorn? TIA.

Can you explain the steps in using the microwave for making non-microwave (regular) popcorn? TIA.
I use a microwave safe bowl with a vented cover currently, but used to just use a paper lunch bag. Put your corn in the bag or bowl. Add a little oil if you you (I don't bother). If using a paper bag staple it shut at the top with two staples (don't worry about the metal in this case. It is safe and will not cause an issue, I promise). Set your microwave to high power for 5 minutes and don't leave. Stand right in front of it and wait. After a minute or so it will begin to pop. Once the popping dies down to a pop every few seconds stop the microwave otherwise the corn will burn and taste gross. That is all there is to it.

Back
Top Bottom