Cooking myths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ive heard that too. Apparently with that there is a physical explanation for it.

both that boiling water freezes faster than cold water, and that cold water boils faster than starting with hot water are myths. They are both extrapolations of an actual physical property of energy transfer to draw erroneous conclusions. When a temperature differential between two substances occurs. the greater the difference, the faster energy transfers until both substances are of equal temperature.. But, as the two differential temperature get closer together, the energy transfer slows. I guess that some people either don't know basic physics and thermodynamics, or that they think there is some kind momentum going on.

Anther food myth that creates problem is with cooking dried beans. Though it is true that adding acidic ingredients to the beans before they are fully cooked with make them hard, and not allow them to soften, this is because the acid reacts with the proteins in the legume, causing it to cramp up and act as a barrier to water absorption. But salt does not stop the beans from absorbing water, and both seasons the beans as they cook, but also firms just the skin, keeping the cooked beans from exploding, so to speak. They maintain their correct shape, while becoming soft and highly edible when cooked in salted water.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of he North

About the trichinosis and por, trichinosis is caused by a parasitic worm that is common is soil. The reason that pork is safe now is that the pork industry was forced by law to clean up its act. The pigs are raised in a clean, usually elevated environment, and kept cool with water spray. The aren't allowed to roll in the dust and mud to dislodge tick, and biting bugs, so they aren't exposed to the parasite. But feral hogs, or pigs raised in dirty pens can still be filled with it. So be careful when you purchase your pork. Especially, if you consume wild hog, it must be cooked well done. Pork from the grocery stores can be cooked to an internal temp of 145' F.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Excellent point about wild hogs and trichinosis. It can also still be gotten from eating bear that isn't cooked enough and I'm sure there are some other wild animals that really should be cooked long enough to kill any possible trichina.

Myth: You can make great cheese fondue or (fill in the blank) with canned soup as a base

Fact: Canned soup has a slightly scorched, too salty, processed taste that ruins otherwise great ingredients. You're not fooling anyone - we can taste it ;)

Myth: You can make great cheese fondue or (fill in the blank) with canned soup as a base

Fact: Canned soup has a slightly scorched, too salty, processed taste that ruins otherwise great ingredients. You're not fooling anyone - we can taste it ;)

I think it must fool some people or wouldn't they notice when they make something with it?

You just haven't tried MY canned cream of tomato soup... :ROFLMAO:

I think some people don't know what it tastes like without it, or they have some nostalgic memories about it that bring enjoyment.

I hadn't considered that. Seems likely. I do know that not everyone has the same amount of tastebuds, so some people actually taste less.

If you grew up with canned soup as a base for recipes and that's all you know, it tastes exactly right.

The process that, under certain circumstances, hot water freezes more quickly than cold water is known as the Mpemba effect. It's well-documented, but scientists disagree on the cause.

About the trichinosis and por, trichinosis is caused by a parasitic worm that is common is soil. The reason that pork is safe now is that the pork industry was forced by law to clean up its act. The pigs are raised in a clean, usually elevated environment, and kept cool with water spray. The aren't allowed to roll in the dust and mud to dislodge tick, and biting bugs, so they aren't exposed to the parasite. But feral hogs, or pigs raised in dirty pens can still be filled with it. So be careful when you purchase your pork. Especially, if you consume wild hog, it must be cooked well done. Pork from the grocery stores can be cooked to an internal temp of 145' F.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

This is alarming …

"This particularly virulent strain of salmonella is just one of a growing number of drug-resistant germs that put farm families, and meat eaters generally, at risk.

A study in Iowa found that workers on pig farms were six times more likely to carry multidrug-resistant staph infections, notably MRSA. A study in North Carolina found that children of pig workers were twice as likely to carry MRSA than children whose parents didn’t work in a swine operation.

Those germs can also wind up on pork sold to consumers. An analysis of government data by the Environmental Working Group, a research organization, found that 71 percent of pork chops at supermarkets in the United States carried resistant bacteria, second only to ground turkey, at 79 percent.
"

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/04/health/pork-antibiotic-resistance-salmonella.html

Never once heard of this. :sick:

Its also alarming.

Salting pasta water raises the boiling point to help it cook faster.

It takes a LOTof salt to raise it appreciably, especially if you use a big pot.

In my experience, this is true. If you use enough salt, that is. There's a difference in taste between pasta cooked in plain water and pasta cooked in salted water.
I always use a lot of salt as I heard some TV chef say that pasta water should be as salty as the sea.
It's true in my experience, too, although you do have to use quite a bit of salt. As someone mentioned above, you don't need a gallon of water to cook a pound of pasta, so if you reduce the water, it's easier to get it salted enough to season the pasta. The chef who taught basic skills in the culinary school I attended briefly said the same thing about it tasting like the sea.

The only benefit I can imagine to using a lot of water is that it would come back to a boil a little quicker after adding the pasta.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom