Cooking myths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you put a spoon across the top of the pot, the spoon prevents boil-overs to a degree. Even out of the corner of my eye I can see two uneven, half-circle towers of bubbles rising above the rim of the pot. There's something probably scientific that would explain why breaking the foam tower as it rises causes the foam to not roll over the edge. I suppose it would overflow if I waited long enough, but I'm not testing my theory. ;)

In my experience, placing a wooden spoon across the pot of anything simmering/boiling prevents it from boiling over.

The only time I have seen pasta foam was when there was a lid on it. Maybe that's because I only use whole grain pasta.

Agree with you and CG....that does work. My daughter showed me that little trick several years ago. :)

Thanks for clarifying that, Linda. I never thought of it since I almost always cook with wooden spoons. :LOL:

Mine , too, but I use a bamboo chopstick.

If I have a pot of something boiling on the stove and I have to walk away for a few minutes, I just plop one of my wooden spoons across the top of the pot and so far I've never had an issue with boiling over.

Back
Top Bottom