"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I love it, you're so cute. In case anyone is really that naive, I lived right under one of those Dew Line radars for 3 years. I now glow in the dark! Seriously, no one I know had any medical problems. And I mean literally right under it! My kitties did fine, too.
That's because, my dear freind, you weren't in the direct path of the transmitted radiation. the microwave beam transmitted by the radar is thin and directional. I've worked around Omani-directional antennae that had to be turned off due to radiation danger, and they transmitted a fraction of the energy pushed out from those gargantuan radars that the airforce had running.

In the early days of radar gun use by police, several officers were made sterile because the transmitter (the radar gun) wasn't turned off before being set down in the squad car. The microwave energy damaged the men permanently.

Think of it this way. My microwave unit produces 1500 watts of microwave energy. It will blow up an egg in less than a minute. Those big radars produced mega-watts of microwave energy, enough to blow up many, many, many eggs, instantaneously. Electronics techs who worked around radar, radio, and waveguides had to be very careful to make sure the units were turned off before working on them.

Oh, and if I remember correctly, the strength of the signal decreases directly by the square of the distance. Close up, those big transmitters were deadly. But that power dissipated quickly with distance. That's why they had those gargantuan parabolic dishes, to capture as much reflected energy as possible.

Myth - Goodweed knows everything. There may be some small thing that I've missed in this universe. There might even be two small things.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #32
Half Baked

Chicken myth: If you buy Foster Farms chicken you are getting a safer product. Same goes for some other major brands but when they were tested foe salmonella bacteria allmost all samples from the large brands contained it (Tyson too). I wash my chicken and treat it like it has salmonella no matter what. It prbably does.I now shop for price and have been consistaly been able to find leg quarters for .57lb frozen. Hard to pass that up and i am generally marinating or rubbing it anyway.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:00 AM   #33
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
Chicken myth: If you buy Foster Farms chicken you are getting a safer product. Same goes for some other major brands but when they were tested foe salmonella bacteria allmost all samples from the large brands contained it (Tyson too). I wash my chicken and treat it like it has salmonella no matter what. It prbably does.I now shop for price and have been consistaly been able to find leg quarters for .57lb frozen. Hard to pass that up and i am generally marinating or rubbing it anyway.
Washing chicken doesn't make it safer. It just risks cross-contamination of your kitchen. The USDA tells you not to do it.

COOKING chicken to a safe temperature is what kills bacteria.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:15 PM   #34
Half Baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Washing chicken doesn't make it safer. It just risks cross-contamination of your kitchen. The USDA tells you not to do it.

COOKING chicken to a safe temperature is what kills bacteria.
I agree and never disputed that. I will however continue to wash my chickens. There are enough nasty bits inside one that I want to remove.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:34 PM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Please test your hypothesy. Personal experience has taught me that if I heat the oil with the pan, foods stick to my SS pans. If, however, I heat them dry, and then add just a little oil, running it all over the cooking surface, foods slide across the pan like a puck on fresh ice.

I believe that the oil polymerizes when it hits the hot pan surface, creating a very smooth and slick, oiled surface for the food to rest on.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Tonight I cooked a chicken breast after putting cold in in a cold pan.

Cooking Myth Hot Pan Cold Oil Prevents Sticking - YouTube

Tags
cooking