"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-26-2010, 01:29 AM   #1
Master Chef

Cooking oil sprays

When I first moved here, almost 10 years ago, I bought an olive oil sprayer. It was WAY too much trouble, had to pump it, and it got clogged very easily. At that point I hadn't used a "pam -type spray in years because I disliked the smell of it. BUT the convenience of it overwhelms things, and it seems to be getting better. I have a can of an olive oil (purports to be EVOO), and a butter flavored one. I won't say I'm in love with them, but do find them convenient at times. Do you have a favorite brand and/or flavor?

Old 04-26-2010, 03:08 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I went and bought a couple of small sprayers (they hold about 2 cups) from the cosmetics department and filled one with EVOO and one with canola. They work great. While that doesn't answer the question you posed, it was my way of dealing with wanting to use a spray and dislike of the oil sprays that are out there.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
Senior Cook

We do have Pam oil spray at home but it's just a regular oil. I haven't tried other spray oils like the olive oil. Is it good?
Old 05-17-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookLikeJulia View Post
We do have Pam oil spray at home but it's just a regular oil. I haven't tried other spray oils like the olive oil. Is it good?
I have pam regular and a store brand butter spray. I use for effect not taste, but I'm wondering are they safe, since they have silicone? I have avoided them in the past b/c i wasn't too keen on the idea of the silicone.
Thanks for bringing up the subject!
Old 05-17-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
Flour Child

I haven't been near a can of Pam in years and years, but the last time I remember it smelled like gasoline (petrol in the uk) to me and I was quite offput by it. Maybe it has improved since then.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #6
Master Chef

I also havn't used the spray stuff for years. I'm convinced it's what ruined all of my bakeware over time, with a gummy residue impossible to remove. Somebody mentioned once it seems like using spray paint.
Fiona, that's a great idea.....I may just try that!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
Cook

I use it just for spraying cake pans or my waffle iron. I LOVE it bc its fast and easy. Pam with flour is amazing. I never found anything that will not make a cake stick in any shape mold but that not even by hand greasing and flour.

'Beauty without grace is the hook without the bait.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson
x7anooonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:32 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

I use Pam- always have, and most likely always will. Mainly because its more convenient, and I've never had any troubles with Pam. :)