"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-06-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cooking one serving (1/4 cup) of rice

It seems the directions on every rice container are for at least 2 servings. I have some brown rice which is 1/4 cup per serving. The container says to use 1 1/3 cup water for 2 servings, so I used some math and just divided that by 2 to get 2/3 cup of water per 1/4 cup serving. I felt there was going to be a problem when I realized how little water it was. I was using a small saucepan too. What probably happened was that most of the water evaporated away when I tried to bring it to a boil. Anyway, the rice turned out hard as a rock. I experimented with different water ratios, but it either comes out soggy or too hard. I was wondering if anyone had a proper amount of water to use for 1/4 cup of brown rice. Also, is it possible to use a rice cooker for 1 serving of rice? I was thinking of buying a cheap one since it also came with a steaming basket.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
Executive Chef

The easy answer is to make two servings I can't imagine 1/4 cup of rice being called a "serving" in the first place.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
Master Chef

Site Moderator

It is.... check what is considered a 'serving size' these days on food packages.. you'd be amazed.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Is that 1/4 cup before cooking or 1/4 cup after cooking?

For small amounts, I would make a regular batch, then freeze it in serving sizes. To heat it up from frozen, just put in a strainer and run hot water over it.

Barbara
Old 06-06-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
It is.... check what is considered a 'serving size' these days on food packages.. you'd be amazed.
Went and looked and you're so right Dave......I think that's bizarre. Four tablespoons of rice for a little child's serving maybe!

Quote:
The container says to use 1 1/3 cup water for 2 servings,
Since the back of the box didn't give directions for one serving, it must be concluded that you can't cut the recipe in half. I suspect because it's brown rice. What the hey...live large and make two servings. (one in my opinion)

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

just plan to use the leftover in a stir fry the next day. that is what i do and am making rice just for me.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Uncooked rice is doubled when cooked.

Water to white rice ratio is 1-1/3 to 1.
Water to brown rice ratio is 2 to 1.

1/2 cup is considered 1 serving. Why? I don't know...

Bring water rice mixture to boil uncovered. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, leave covered and let it rest for 15 minutes. Fluff with fork and serve.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Is that 1/4 cup before cooking or 1/4 cup after cooking?

For small amounts, I would make a regular batch, then freeze it in serving sizes. To heat it up from frozen, just put in a strainer and run hot water over it.

Barbara
The 1/4 cup of dry rice comes out to 1 cup of rice when cooked (according to the box). It's still not much, but I'm on a diet. I'm was amazed at how many calories a person could put in their body with not much food. I like eating the rice fresh when it is fluffy and not too wet or dry. I will give that method a try though and see how it turns out, thanks.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:21 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

i hate math so if i were you i'd buy a rice cooker...i have a very small one here at home just enough to make a small serving...it was just a gift to me so i don't know where it was bought.