"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-28-2004, 10:59 AM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I just start throwing things that I think will be good together in a pot. 9 times out of 10 it comes out good. The only problem is that I forget to write stuff down & can rarely make the same thing twice. I love playing with recipes & tweaking them to suite my needs, taste, or budget at the time. It makes me feel smart!

Old 10-28-2004, 11:38 AM   #12
Senior Cook

after a while, I think, it gets to be more technique, experience and an inner voice that says-do this!
I hope I don't get set in my cooking ways, even the oldest recipe of mine is ripe for the tweaking, but I will admit, there are some things I just have to make exactly, if just for the memory.

southerncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 11:41 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I agree with most of you here - experience will teach you a lot, especially your mistakes!

Anyone paged thru "How to Cook Without a Book"? I haven't, but this topic made me think of it.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:45 AM   #14
Head Chef

Experience is the result of bad judgement - and I have a LOT of experience...

Don't know who said it.

John
Old 10-28-2004, 12:10 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I like to eat well, but am stingy if I don't know how to cook something that's expensive, I want a tried and true recipe FIRST so that I won't have to throw out what I made with my own made up recipe. Believe me, I have thrown out ALOT of food over the years.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:28 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Other than Baking I almost never look at a recipe while cooking. I just put together what I think will taste good. I may look at different versions of the same recipe and do my own thing. It is an Art.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:26 PM   #17
Certified Executive Chef

I learned how to cook when I was 14 and my mom began working outside the home. It then became my job to begin fixing the meal (including setting the table) and have it almost done when she got home. I gathered her limited cook book collection, one a gift to her in 1927 (it is a hoot to read) and a two volume GoodHousekeeping cookbook. I discovered wonderful flavors when I discovered herbs and spices other than salt and pepper. Her spice rack grew. I would follow the recipe the first time, then begin experimenting with other flavors. I took her handwritten cookbook and altered those recipes and renamed them as she would have had a purple fit. Then it just accelerated into what I do today. I have lots of cookbooks I use for ideas and then alter them to my taste. I always leave out terrigon, anise, as I dislike the flavor. I mostly cook with my favorites (which I grow) Italian parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme, chives, marjoram. I use them all together sometimes and other times one or two. Also I add, although not all at once, just to change the flavor (these are staples in my kitchen), fresh ginger, garlic, soy, mirin, fish sauce, Franks hot sauce, hoison, Kitchen Bouquet, white vermouth, anchovy paste, tomatoe paste, EVOO, butter, breadcrumbs (I make), panko. With all of these I can fix a chicken brest every day of the week and it will never taste the same.

ALERT: Oregon leash laws will be strictly enforced Saturday when theOREGON DUCKS LICK the WASHINGTON HUSKIES
Old 10-29-2004, 07:11 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog
I learned how to cook when I was 14 and my mom began working outside the home. It then became my job to begin fixing the meal (including setting the table) and have it almost done when she got home. I gathered her limited cook book collection, one a gift to her in 1927 (it is a hoot to read) and a two volume GoodHousekeeping cookbook. I discovered wonderful flavors when I discovered herbs and spices other than salt and pepper. Her spice rack grew. I would follow the recipe the first time, then begin experimenting with other flavors. I took her handwritten cookbook and altered those recipes and renamed them as she would have had a purple fit. Then it just accelerated into what I do today. I have lots of cookbooks I use for ideas and then alter them to my taste. I always leave out terrigon, anise, as I dislike the flavor. I mostly cook with my favorites (which I grow) Italian parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme, chives, marjoram. I use them all together sometimes and other times one or two. Also I add, although not all at once, just to change the flavor (these are staples in my kitchen), fresh ginger, garlic, soy, mirin, fish sauce, Franks hot sauce, hoison, Kitchen Bouquet, white vermouth, anchovy paste, tomatoe paste, EVOO, butter, breadcrumbs (I make), panko. With all of these I can fix a chicken brest every day of the week and it will never taste the same.

ALERT: Oregon leash laws will be strictly enforced Saturday when theOREGON DUCKS LICK the WASHINGTON HUSKIES
I have some things that just require tarragon. mainly fish dishes, but also crab salad. A wonderful addition. but if you don't like it, you don't like it.
kinda like cilantro.
southerncook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 07:13 PM   #19
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Im a rosemary guy myself. Garlic, basil and olive oil is a key too.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:23 PM   #20
Certified Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncook
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog

I have some things that just require tarragon. mainly fish dishes, but also crab salad. A wonderful addition. but if you don't like it, you don't like it.
kinda like cilantro.
Southerncoo, I replace tarragon (thanks not only do I not like it, I cannot spell it) never liked licorace. For fish I would use dill or lemon thyme, and cilantro is an acquired taste I have not acquired. My pallet likes it but the stomach wants to return it.