"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 02-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
Senior Cook
Cooking potatoes in coconut milk?

I found some recipe on a blog where they cooked the potatoes in milk instead of water. The mashed potatoes tasted much better this way according to the author....

Anyway, I have a few cans of coconut milk that I still haven't been able to use and thought maybe it's a good idea to make mashed potatoes cooking them in coconut milk, or half coconutmilk/ half milk. Would that be a good idea???

Argamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
I think I would try coconut rice instead of potatoes. IMO that would be an odd taste combo.

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
I've had potatoes cooked in coconut milk several times in Thai and Malaysian restaurants in NY, and I've done it myself at home. It's great!
I live in China
NYCGayTranslator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
Master Chef
I think potatoes cooked in coconut milk is also popular in some Caribbean cuisine. I would try the recipe "as is" the first time ... if the coconut flavor is too strong, then try diluting it with some milk the next time.

Alix is right about coconut rice - it's great!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
Head Chef
Maybe if u used a sweeter potato, like a batata or something like that, then the coconut/ potato combo may appear more ' normal' , but ive never tried it either way, so im totally talking off the top of my head now :P
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:02 PM   #6
Sous Chef
Send a message via MSN to Lynan
If you have coconut milk to use up Id go with Alix re the rice. I eat rice cooked this way reasonably often and add some lime zest also. Just fantastic stuff but I DO only use 1/2 coconut milk, the rest is water.
Gotta look after these aging hips.
In the book of life, the answers are NOT in the back.
Lynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:36 PM   #7
Senior Cook
I will let you know when I try, thanks for the responses.
Argamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:28 PM   #8
Senior Cook
Boil the potato any way you like to get it half way there and then finish cooking in oil with flavor....In my opinion, if coconut milk is being used, then it should be used for another ingredient than potatos.

I would use coconut milk, lemongrass and a curry to "poach" a fish and then cook the potatos (half cooked) in hot oil with a red curry paste.....oh well, what do I know????

Just an offer....have fun with the options
Chef_Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #9
Senior Cook
If you're interested in trying something a little adventurous, I have a killer recipe posted under Ethnic Foods for Costa Rican "Afro-Caribbean Rice and Beans with Chicken". Coconut milk is one of the main ingredients. You'll find the recipe here:
Costa Rican Afro-Caribbean Food (with recipes)

"Im going to break one of the rules of the trade here. Im going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember its always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, youre on your own." - James Beard
FincaPerlitas is offline   Reply With Quote