"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-02-2005, 11:08 PM   #11
Head Chef

I guess that means when we post recipes we had better specify which countries measurements we are using otherwise it could get messy.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:21 AM   #12
Everymom

Yes it could get messy! I would start a push to have things posted in metric but I think I might get lynched. LOL.

Brooksy, missed your post before...LOL to the shrinking thing. I made a comment that the winters here keep Canadians a bit slimmer because we shiver off all our calories. LOL.

Old 10-06-2005, 12:00 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Yes it could get messy! I would start a push to have things posted in metric but I think I might get lynched. LOL.

Brooksy, missed your post before...LOL to the shrinking thing. I made a comment that the winters here keep Canadians a bit slimmer because we shiver off all our calories. LOL.
As illogical as it is, the US system is what I know and it makes sense to me. Besides, I don't want to buy another set of measuring cups and spoons that I have to find a place for in my small kitchen. I've seen cookbooks that give the measurements both ways, which is a good idea.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:44 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Brooksy Send a message via Skype™ to Brooksy
I can't imagine waking up to snow Alix. Less than a week into Spring and we've had 30C+ days all week.

I think I'd rather be sweating than shivering, that way there's more room for beer.

A move to metric in the states would be a sight to see. I enjoy telling Americans they drive on the wrong side of the road. Always works
Old 10-06-2005, 11:16 AM   #15
Everymom

We didn't see 30 degrees much this summer. Unusual for us. Now of course I have my fleece pants at the ready and the temp is dipping below freezing most nights. DANG IT! LOL to the beer thing. You really need to make a trip up north here Brooksy, we Canadians will show you what beer is SUPPOSED to taste like!
Old 10-06-2005, 03:48 PM   #16
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to ArticKatt Send a message via MSN to ArticKatt Send a message via Yahoo to ArticKatt
From what I remember from cooking school was that when canada went metric they were using US mesures and they did the conversions from US mesurements to Metric but that only covered cooking for all other measurements was based on the UK. grrrrr LOL best to know where your cookbooks are from before you try to bake at times. I don't think I am very clear hope you can figure it out.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:43 AM   #17
Executive Chef

I still 'prefer' Imperial measurements to metric - but can use either... most of our scales and weights are dual on things like pyrex liquid measurement jugs etc. Thankfully, we go by dry weight, not volume, so I don't go down the nightmare route of trying to convert 'cups' to imperial to metric
Old 10-07-2005, 02:02 PM   #18
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to ArticKatt Send a message via MSN to ArticKatt Send a message via Yahoo to ArticKatt
Alix the reason it was not hot in Edmonton this summer is because I moved to Toronto Last fall. WE had a record summer here in Toronto. I do hope the weater gets back to normal for you poor Edmontonians I don't miss the city at all and i lived there for over 20 years. To bad I did not know about this list then we could have met.