"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-26-2007, 11:42 AM   #11
Master Chef

Lulu and oppose:

The jobs that you speak of as summer associates are very highly competitive and only available to those actually in law school, which oppose is not.

Plus, you interview for them in the fall and winter.

Many qualified law students at excellent law schools fail to secure one of these highly coveted positions. Unfortunately, I speak from experience

I suggest that oppose try his/her hand in the kitchen of a restaurant during college years to see whether its a good fit.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:07 PM   #12
Head Chef

Thanks for the clarification Jennyema!

Old 04-26-2007, 01:46 PM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppose
So long story short im in college for another 6-7 years or so till i can take the bar exam so in the meantime im thinkin of doing cooking school cuz then i could get a part time job cookin in the meantime. how hard is cooking school. i mean how much time in the week am i gonna have to spend on it.

I'd reccommend just applying for kitchen jobs, and forego cooking school altogether. After some long discussion with the cooks I work with, culinary school just doesn't seem anywhere near worth the tuition price. To quote my co-workers "You would learn in two years at culinary school what you learned your first 3 months on the job."
Old 04-26-2007, 06:38 PM   #14
Sous Chef

In most colleges you may qualify for Internship that earn college credit.
The Internship is offered in your area of study. Make that decision.

Once enrolled in your College working on your Career Study Program you will find part time employment in position of your choice. Best to take it step by step and work toward your final goal.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:54 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to ManedWolf Send a message via MSN to ManedWolf Send a message via Yahoo to ManedWolf
Ask not what your Guest can do for you but what You can do for your Guest.

I've only been in the culinary industry for about 2 years now. I have been to culinary school and I can tell you it's not something you want to enter into if you are double-minded.
I love working in the kitchen and I love my experiences at school because I know I wanted to be in the field. I love working with food and every day I learn something new.
However, the pressure of making sure consistency and quality are delivered to your guest is absolutely paramount. From what you have said your situation is I would say that to properly understand what is expected would be for you to think of attending your law school full time and then heading home and preparing a dinner engagement for 50 people. Even as a dish pit/prep cook you still have to perform your function; on time and accurately. Being in a kitchen is functioning as a team, everyone in that space lives or dies by the person beside them.
Ultimately what you need to ask yourself is whether you can make sure that you can prioritize your guest. Your performance, in any position, has an impact on the guest experience. If you can get the job done, stay until it is, and maintain consistent dedication to the task, then go for it. If you can't then a kitchen may not be the best environment for you to be in. Only you can answer that question?
Old 04-30-2008, 02:36 PM   #16
Master Chef

culinary school is intense. & expensive.
you need to study subjects besides food, like law, maths, etcetera, too.
my school was 7 hours a day with very flexible scheduling.