Cooking school question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oppose

Cook
So long story short im in college for another 6-7 years or so till i can take the bar exam so in the meantime im thinkin of doing cooking school cuz then i could get a part time job cookin in the meantime. how hard is cooking school. i mean how much time in the week am i gonna have to spend on it.

I don't really know, but think that it would depend upon the school that you would want to go to. They may have flexible enough for you to work out your own schedule depending on what you want to learn. Good luck.

You might want to look into ACF's (American Culinary Federation) apprenticeship program. It's geared to cooks who have to work while attending cooking school - usually one night a week, but it's a three year commitment, so guess that would negate working in a kitchen for half the time you're wanting to fill.

It's a fantastic program for those who, for one reason or another, can not attend a full time culianary school - here's some info for you -

Apprenticeships

good luck!

depends on the school and program. some are very intensive everyday 18-20 month for an AA in culinary arts. Others are course at a time . See what's available in your area.

oppose said:
So long story short im in college for another 6-7 years or so till i can take the bar exam so in the meantime im thinkin of doing cooking school cuz then i could get a part time job cookin in the meantime. how hard is cooking school. i mean how much time in the week am i gonna have to spend on it.
Professional programs in culinary schools are designed pretty much for folks who want to make the kitchen their career.

If you're looking for part time work in a kitchen, I'd fix up a resume showing the kind of cooking you have done and are comfortable with and try for a dish-pit/prep cook job... One that will let you earn while you learn.

Unless you could do a full-time culinary program at a school like I.C.E. where you're finished in a few months, culinary school would get in the way of law school, rather than enhancing it.

You sure you want to be a lawyer and not a chef? :ermm:

I totally agree with June. Cooking school would be an unnecessary expense if all you are looking for is steady part-time work during your school years.

But it would be a hundred thousand less than law school.

oppose said:

Don't know where you live (you didn't bother to put that bit of info into your user profile) - or mention what school you are attending ... but I just did a quick check of the culinary program at the Junior college down the road and the first semester is 20-semester hours (full time college load is only 12 hours). Most culinary programs that I have found are not geared for the "part-time curious" cook ... they are for the serious full-time culinary student who wants to cook for a living.

Cooking school isn't easy - and working in a kitchen isn't a soft job!

You might want to check with your school's financial aid office and see if they have any positions open in the school cafeteria. That way you can make a little money, get a little OJT, and not be out the time or money (tuition, books, knives, uniforms and other supplies) you would need in a culinary program.

Of course - your could take courses at the Bartender's Academy and pass your "Bar Exams" in about 6 months ....

oppose said:

I'd be signing up to some legal summer assciate programmes with firms and get experience exploring food in other cities, states, maybe even conutries. That way you get to explore food and improve your cv from now until you are ready for the Bar.

what are these summer legal programs you speak of? thanks everyone for your input.

I'm presuming you are in USA....its not in your profile, but I'm guessing.

The big USA internations, and I presume large national or regional firms might too, offer work experience, often arranged through universities. This work gives you an insight to real life in a firm, and is often paid. If you find out if your university has such a scheme you might be able to get a placement in another state, or even country. For example, I've been on the commitee of my husband works to choose fun freetime stuff for some law students from a NY university to do in their two months in Milan and Rome this summer. Weekdays they'll work,most weekends the firms will arrange outings. Meanwhile the oppertunity to explore another country and research your interests in your freetime exists. For example, if one of the stdents that comes here this year has an interest in food, my guess is they will visit the food markets and eat out at different restaurants as much as possible, so that when they talk about how the Italians approach food and cooking they really know!

Talk to career guidance or a law tutor at your place of study and find out if similar scheme are in place. I believe the USA term might be, Summer Associate programmes, but I'm not sure I'm afraid.

Lulu and oppose:

The jobs that you speak of as summer associates are very highly competitive and only available to those actually in law school, which oppose is not.

Plus, you interview for them in the fall and winter.

Many qualified law students at excellent law schools fail to secure one of these highly coveted positions. Unfortunately, I speak from experience :neutral:

I suggest that oppose try his/her hand in the kitchen of a restaurant during college years to see whether its a good fit.

oppose said:

I'd reccommend just applying for kitchen jobs, and forego cooking school altogether. After some long discussion with the cooks I work with, culinary school just doesn't seem anywhere near worth the tuition price. To quote my co-workers "You would learn in two years at culinary school what you learned your first 3 months on the job."

In most colleges you may qualify for Internship that earn college credit.
The Internship is offered in your area of study. Make that decision.

Once enrolled in your College working on your Career Study Program you will find part time employment in position of your choice. Best to take it step by step and work toward your final goal.

Ask not what your Guest can do for you but what You can do for your Guest.

[FONT=&quot]I've only been in the culinary industry for about 2 years now. I have been to culinary school and I can tell you it's not something you want to enter into if you are double-minded.
I love working in the kitchen and I love my experiences at school because I know I wanted to be in the field. I love working with food and every day I learn something new.
However, the pressure of making sure consistency and quality are delivered to your guest is absolutely paramount. From what you have said your situation is I would say that to properly understand what is expected would be for you to think of attending your law school full time and then heading home and preparing a dinner engagement for 50 people. Even as a dish pit/prep cook you still have to perform your function; on time and accurately. Being in a kitchen is functioning as a team, everyone in that space lives or dies by the person beside them.
Ultimately what you need to ask yourself is whether you can make sure that you can prioritize your guest. Your performance, in any position, has an impact on the guest experience. If you can get the job done, stay until it is, and maintain consistent dedication to the task, then go for it. If you can't then a kitchen may not be the best environment for you to be in. Only you can answer that question?[/FONT]

culinary school is intense. & expensive.
you need to study subjects besides food, like law, maths, etcetera, too.
my school was 7 hours a day with very flexible scheduling.

Back
Top Bottom