cooking Sherry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Michael in FtW said:
Humm .... after having been duly chastised by someone for my views that you really can't follow that sub chart if you want the same flavors ... I guess the question would have to be .... (drum roll please) ... What's the recipe????

I agree that you really can't rely on a sub chart. I think coffee and vanilla extract seem like strange (and sort of foul) subs for sherry but, like you say, it depends on the recipe.

I also agree that most times it's better to leave the alcohol out rather than sub.

Unless you are thinking of chicken marsala, in which case you pick a different recipe.

Another great use for leftover sherry is to keep minced garlic, shallots, ginger in; they'll keep for weeks in the fridge like this, and you also get some superb flavoring with it!

Now I'm going around singing 'Sherry Baby' all day :ermm: :rolleyes:

I agree with everyone else who says just leave out the sherry if you don't want to spring for a bottle. Because it is a fortified wine, it will last for a long time on the shelf. I've been around and can't say I've seen a small bottle, not even a split, of sherry. The closest alcohol sub would be a split of a sweet wine (if you go that way, ask your grocer or booze store employee for whatever their sweetest wine available in a split (a very small bottle, about 2 glasses).

Sherry (NOT, as others have said, cooking sherry) is a great marinade for chicken. Sherry, some parsley, and chicken. Then bake. It is tender, juicy, and wonderful! (And I don't drink wine at all). In fact, when I buy a lot of chicken and want to freeze most of it, I have even added the sherry and parsley to my chicken before putting it in the freezer.

:) Barbara

Back
Top Bottom