"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-10-2006, 11:04 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Cook outdoors. Cleanup is reeeeeal easy when you can (example) rinse your veg off on your back porch and just shake em right there all over the yard instead of messing up a counter or the like. You can buy attachments/additions to your grill(mini fridges, sinks that hook up to your outdoor faucet, cutting surfaces) that are lower to the ground than counters, so you can sit in the sun and do all your prep as well. The dogs make great vaccuum cleaners for excess food you can just swipe off the surfaces, too :P.

Plus that, less to clean in terms of hardware. Since you'd mostly be cooking directly on just grilling surfaces, there aren't as many pots and pans to contend with or appliances to clean.

Old 03-10-2006, 11:12 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Oh, one other tip. I generally only employ this for purposes of marinating, but I've got a feeling it will convert to your situation really well, too:

Plastic baggies are your friends.

Seriously...why mess up a bowl mixing something up when you can throw it all in a baggie, smush smush it, put it wherever it's going to go, be it a pan, on a piece of meat, etc...and then just throw it out. Zero cleanup. My pantry has so many boxes of 2 gallon plastic bags that I shoulda bought shares in zip-loc before I went shopping.

Old 03-11-2006, 09:33 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I saw this demoed on a cooking show/shopping channel, and think it's a pretty handy looking gadget. It works like scissors. The host was snipping thru squash, carrots, yams, a whole bunch of celery (at one time), over a large bowl. I may talk myself into it. It has a little lock/safety catch.

Scissor Slicers (Knife & Cutting Board in One)

An ideal kitchen cutlery companion that combines a knife and cutting board. The Scissor Slicer tool makes cutting fruits and vegetables easy, fast, and convenient. It operates with a squeeze-and-release action similar to scissors to simply slice through all of your foods. Comfort grip handle. Top rack dishwasher safe. Hand washing recommended. Set of two.

Measures 9-1/2"L.

http://images-p.qvc.com/is/image/k/7...roddetailmain$

You can find it at QVC.