Cooking Shortcuts for the Disabled Cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
Without going into detail, I have a multitude of physical problems that cause chronic pain.
Cooking is one of the few hobbies that I can still enjoy, but I have learned that I have to have help, do it a little at a time, and take some short-cuts that make life easier for me. I usually cook enough for more than one night, which might end up being "re-runs'", or a totally different dish made from the already cooked meat and vegetables.

So here's my question:
What kinds of short-cuts or hints do you all have for me? Time in general is not the problem. It's time on my feet and the amount of mess that I (actually,my beloved husband) have to deal with.

I'm talking good food here, not Cambells soup over chicken breasts and instant rice. :sick:

I too have a disability, a mobility impairment that some might consider severe, but is low middle in reality. I love to cook, and hate to do it sitting down. But I do pay a price at the end of the day. I do use a stool near the stove for many watch and stir moments, but chopping and mixing is best done standing up for me.

I would (and will be) avail myself of all the machines I could...Kitchen aid mixer with all the bells and whistles, a good food processor, etc. These can speed things up.

THe other element of course is good planning. Mise en place. If you are prepared, you can do it with economy of motion.

You can also replace certain stand up techniques with sit down ones. Rather than browning meat in a saute pan, broil it brown, flip it, then sauce and bake , roast, or braise. Easy to sweat the veggies in a pot while browning in the oven.

As for lifting pots and pans, calphalon one is great to cook in and weighs less than clad SS etc.

Stews soups and braises are easier than labor intensive recipes calling for many pans. THere are many one pan saute dinners. Julia's The Way to Cook , and James Petersen's Essentials of Cooking are basic texts with many great recipes you can easily do without strain. Petersen's contains over 20 chicken sautes of quality.

I have a high step stool that is quite comfortable (it's available in many stores and catalogs) that my husband uses to do kitchen chores when his arthritis or gout is bothering him. If you have room for a kitchen table, being able to sit and do the 'menial labor' (i.e., peeling and chopping) is nice. But mostly a good, comfortable stool. Also arranging your kitchen appropriately can cut a lot of steps. Dishes near your sink/dishwasher. Spices/pantry near your stove. Good cusioned rugs where you are going to have to stand. We lived in an RV for three years, on the road, and were amazed to discover that many, many handicapped people take up this lifestyle. One advantage? You can stand in one place and reach everything. A smaller kitchen is actually easier for people who have difficulty getting around. If your kitchen isn't small, find ways to make it smaller by having everything you need in a small area.

can't you get something like this...

10-029.gif

just helps you to watch your pots and pans and can be put away if not needed....

A good adjustable stool like Cara suggested will be a must... that will save you lots of physical fatigue.
I also have this Braun handheld chopper/blender/whip which I use almost everyday, I would recommend it highly...it is one of my beloved tools which is powerful (600W) enough to grind nuts or parmigiano without worrying about having it burnt out, also can handle something more delicate like chopping up herbs. Another plus is there are very few parts (usually 3) to wash out after each use, so you can use this as often as you feel like without dreading about the toil of cleaning it up afterwards. (to wash out the blade, I fill up the bottom food container or some other vessel that is tall enough with soap water and give it a spin, works out perfectly without any strenuous effort)
If you are interested, here is more information...
http://www.braun.com/global/products/fooddrink/foodpreparation/handprocessors/mr6000.html

Proper tools, well maintained, and appliances to ease the chopping, blending, mincing, etc., and multi-tools, like the afore mentioned Braun Hand-blender with processor, whip, and blending attachments, these all help make the process easier, and speed things up as well.

Also, well planned meals don't have to be difficult to be great. If your kitchen is set up properly, then whle you are near the stove, you can easily reach whatever flavorings you might need. Knives should be near your working surfaces, light-weight bowls are great for mixing. And categorize your drawers with the tools you will need where you need them. And let Hubby assist in the cooking process as well as in the cleaning department.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I like everyone's idea of the stool. Can you pre-slice a whole pack of carrots in a food processor and store in freezer? Carrots and other veggies. I know it will take a lot of time initially but it may help in the long-run.

I designed the interior of our home, and I knew I wanted a small space that looked big and roomy, so there are no walls between our living area, dining room and kitchen. The kitchen really is small...I can reach the sink, stove, microwave, dishwasher and fridge without moving more that a few feet. The stove is in a T-shaped island, with a bit of counter space on each side, and an extension where we can pull stools up and get our legs underneath. That is where I sit to do my chopping, and if the skillet or pot is on the back burner of the stove, I don't even have to get up to dump in the vegies or give it a stir.
The kitchen and living area have a sloped ceiling that is over 20' high at the top, and has 3 skylights in it, which opens up the area quite a lot, as does the greenhouse that extends the full 28' length of the living area.

Robo, it sounds like you and I both do things a lot the same. Gotta love those one dish meals cooked in a big Calphalon skillet.

I'd like to have a stool with wheels, so I can roll around without having to get up and move the stool.

"Robo, it sounds like you and I both do things a lot the same. Gotta love those one dish meals cooked in a big Calphalon skillet."

I have a lot of fine copper, and enameld cast iron, and pro aluminum. But my "prizes" are some inherited Griswold cast iron pans, and a 7 qt saute pan from the Commercial Aluminum Pan Company (what it was before Calphalon) a real restaurant size pan. But it needs a real gas burner...way too big to use on electric or glass top stoves.

The carrots must be partially cooked before freezing or they will become mushy. This is due to water expansion in the cell-walls. The walls burst and leav you with something that resembles a carrot, but the texture and flavor are ruined. The same is true with raw potatoes, and may other similar veggies.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Cook outdoors. Cleanup is reeeeeal easy when you can (example) rinse your veg off on your back porch and just shake em right there all over the yard instead of messing up a counter or the like. You can buy attachments/additions to your grill(mini fridges, sinks that hook up to your outdoor faucet, cutting surfaces) that are lower to the ground than counters, so you can sit in the sun and do all your prep as well. The dogs make great vaccuum cleaners for excess food you can just swipe off the surfaces, too :P.

Plus that, less to clean in terms of hardware. Since you'd mostly be cooking directly on just grilling surfaces, there aren't as many pots and pans to contend with or appliances to clean.

Oh, one other tip. I generally only employ this for purposes of marinating, but I've got a feeling it will convert to your situation really well, too:

Plastic baggies are your friends.

Seriously...why mess up a bowl mixing something up when you can throw it all in a baggie, smush smush it, put it wherever it's going to go, be it a pan, on a piece of meat, etc...and then just throw it out. Zero cleanup. My pantry has so many boxes of 2 gallon plastic bags that I shoulda bought shares in zip-loc before I went shopping.

Last edited:
I saw this demoed on a cooking show/shopping channel, and think it's a pretty handy looking gadget. It works like scissors. The host was snipping thru squash, carrots, yams, a whole bunch of celery (at one time), over a large bowl. I may talk myself into it. It has a little lock/safety catch.

Scissor Slicers (Knife & Cutting Board in One)

An ideal kitchen cutlery companion that combines a knife and cutting board. The Scissor Slicer tool makes cutting fruits and vegetables easy, fast, and convenient. It operates with a squeeze-and-release action similar to scissors to simply slice through all of your foods. Comfort grip handle. Top rack dishwasher safe. Hand washing recommended. Set of two.

Measures 9-1/2"L.

[URL="http://images-p.qvc.com/is/image/k/72/k6072.001?$proddetailmain$"]http://images-p.qvc.com/is/image/k/72/k6072.001?$proddetailmain$[/URL]

You can find it at QVC.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom