Cooking Skills I Used Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
The food does not matter, the tools do not matter, what matters is: What skills you used to create your meals today. Did you braise, did you boil, did you fry, did you learn a new skill to cook your meals today? Knife skills, new way of cooking and your tried and true skills.

My skills today:
Frying an egg
Boiling water

So far today, I used my skills of putting lunch meat and cheese on a bun. Oh, and I spread mayo on the bun. :chef:

CD :LOL:

Paring knife skills-halve and pit cherries, baking-clafoutis and tater tots, making a charcoal fire, smoking-pork chops.

Went out for my birthday ( even though its in 2 months) so the only skill I used was ordering dinner. Although, I did pack some cukes for future pickling.

Tomorrow shall be a more skillful day, as Ill be cooking for the rest of the week.

I make creamy tomatoe sauce to go with my fettucine pasta. While out with my sons family recently I tried a different sauce without tomatoes as a base so I fried to replicate it. It uses cornflour as a thickener, so getting it right required all my judgement. It was nice and creamy and I got great reports. I'll definitely be doing it again. Served with my garlic bread and followed by chocolate brownie, my granddaughters fave.

Russ

Russ

Went out for my birthday ( even though its in 2 months) so the only skill I used was ordering dinner. Although, I did pack some cukes for future pickling.

Tomorrow shall be a more skillful day, as Ill be cooking for the rest of the week.

Food preservation skills count.

I have yet to perfect a Pork Chop!

I'm trying this method:

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-co...e-oven-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-194257

... I'll report back later how it all went. :chef:

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

I think I can do better...
I didn't take a photo of what I really found as the different technique to me anyways, was using my CastIron Skillet, heated up in a 400 degree oven and searing one side of the chop and tossing into the hot oven for 6-10 minutes.
I should have started temping those cuties earlier. Just a touch over done on the outside edges, mainly `cuz they were not evenly butchered.
I'll get it done, I'm bound and determined to make the perfect Pork Chop :chef:

I've been brining my pork chops and also some chicken for over a year now. Basically like this recipe.

for 2 chops (I usually only have boneless) 2 Tbsp salt 1 tsp sugar. If you want you can add other seasonings such as peppercorns or something to compliment the style of the meal. Water to cover generously. Brine minimum 20 minutes (or I have done it overnight).

Brown on one side in an oven proof pan and finish in 400 oven, anywhere from 12 to 20 minutes.

That's how I did the mushroom stuffed chops last night.

I whisked farina porridge to perfection and made the perfect cup of hot cocoa this morning, well my daughter said it was smooth as smooth bread and the chocolate was perfection in a cup.

I think I can do better...

I didn't take a photo of what I really found as the different technique to me anyways, was using my CastIron Skillet, heated up in a 400 degree oven and searing one side of the chop and tossing into the hot oven for 6-10 minutes.

I should have started temping those cuties earlier. Just a touch over done on the outside edges, mainly `cuz they were not evenly butchered.

Pork chops are one of the things I do really well. I don't know why, but I seem to be gifted in that area. I would trade that gift gladly for a gift of making lots of money. :LOL:

I always start with bone-in pork loin chops, and try to always use the same size chops, so I don't have to make adjustments. And, yes, getting evenly cut chops is important, and it is not always easy to find.

I brine pork loin roasts, and pork tenderloins, but don't like the texture of brined chops -- just a personal thing.

I have mixed results with probe thermometers on a chop, or a steak, for that matter. I tend to trust the "feel" of the meat, better.

Sous vide is a great way to get a properly cooked chop. Use a blazing hot cast iron skillet to put a sear on the meat when it is done cooking in the sous vide pot.

BTW, try some Stubb's Pork Marinade sometime. It is pretty spicy, but has really good flavor, IMO. I put my chops in the marinade in the morning, to cook in the evening.

CD

...Just a touch over done on the outside edges, mainly `cuz they were not evenly butchered.
Unless I'm making breaded pork chops, I now buy only thick-cut chops. Bone in, those babies usually are just a skotch over a pound each, maybe ranging up to 1 1/4 pounds each. I've been using a brine that Craig posted years ago, adjusting the liquid from beer to cider to hard cider, depending on what flavor I'm trying to impart. I also use whatever herb mix I need to get the flavor I'm going for in that particular dish. Just to clarify things, we don't each eat a full pork chop. :pig: Usually we split one, then Himself might cut a bit off the other chop - and I trim the bone off the meat before I refrigerate the leftover meat. Bone goes to the cook. :yum: *woof*

I skillfully toasted bread items today. Also managed to cut up onions and peppers and a nectarine without cutting myself, so my knife skills were working. Sauteed the peppers and onions without burning them or me. Also got Himself to go out to grill the sausages, so I guess I used negotiating skills. And managed to wash the non-dishwasher items without dropping anything. That takes real skill! :mrgreen:

I woke up at 2AM hungry. I used my right index finger on the microwave oven controls to heat some leftovers. Now I'm worn out. I should go to bed. :rolleyes:

CD :D

I skillfully toasted bread items today. Also managed to cut up onions and peppers and a nectarine without cutting myself, so my knife skills were working. Sauteed the peppers and onions without burning them or me. Also got Himself to go out to grill the sausages, so I guess I used negotiating skills. And managed to wash the non-dishwasher items without dropping anything. That takes real skill! :mrgreen:

There are non-dishwasher items? :huh:

CD

Should be good. Brining works wonders. Don't hesitate to use your instant read thermometer so it doesn't overcook. Internal temperature 140ºF.

Two days ago Pirate made baked chicken for us. It was sooooo juicy. He breaded it, seared it in a hot saute pan and finished it in the oven. When you cut into the meat, the juices were all over the plate. Yesterday, he did the same with the 2" pork chops we had in the fridge. Again so juicy and moist. He will be doing the oven method again and again. So worth it.

I brine pork loin roasts, and pork tenderloins, but don't like the texture of brined chops -- just a personal thing.

I have mixed results with probe thermometers on a chop, or a steak, for that matter. I tend to trust the "feel" of the meat, better.

CD

+1.... amen

Ross

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom