"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-07-2008, 04:45 PM   #11
Head Chef

Just give the head to the Cat.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubbs View Post
I am not big on cooking, mainly just grits and chicken for me. However I have snakes out around my house(nonvenomous) and was just wondering if anyone here has some advice or can point me in the right direction for tastey ways to cook up the lovely critters.
I've always wondered, what are grits?? :-) I know the expression kiss my grits from an old tv show but I always thought she meant kiss my a--.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:32 PM   #13
Head Chef

The old TV show "Alice". The phrase made her famous and safe from the censors.

To know Grits you have to first also know Hominy, but simply put it is ground up corn that is boiled and then often fried. Yellow corn grits are not too bad, but hominy grits I relate to worse than cream of wheat. I guess you have to be from the South to enjoy.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:33 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Grits, most often served in the South (USA) are coarsely ground corn that has been boiled into a porridge. It is usually served at breakfast time, but they are good anytime IMHO. Some folks like to add milk/cream and sugar on their grits. You can add cheese to them, which is mighty tasty.
I like butter, salt and pepper on mine.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:07 PM   #15
Master Chef

SNAKES: all snakes are edible. I, personally, have only eaten rattlesnake ... it taste something like frog legs - but I guess if you have never eaten frog legs then the next best example would be chicken. It's like a long string of chicken wish-bones ... dredge in flour - dip in a buttermilk and egg wash - then into a seasoned flour (S&P) then into a skillet of hot grease and fry like chicken. Pour off most of the grease, add some flour to make a brown roux, then add milk to make gravy. Serve with the rattler over smashed potatoes and some buttermilk biscuits.

Small nonvenomous snakes are also pickled in some cultures - head, skin, guts, and all. They can also be found in bottles of some liquors ... although I don't think they are allowed into the US.

BURY THE HEADS: This is really only necessary for venomous species since the fangs still contain venom - and the venom sacks are still loaded with venom - someone picking up a head could receive a "bite" from a dead head with as much venoum as if it was a live critter. When I was in wilderness camp in scouts we had a burn - crush - bury method ... burn the head in the fire, then crush it between two rocks, and bury it - this destroys the venoum and keeps animals from digging them up.

WHAT ARE GRITS?: read this.

Old Southern expression: If you didn't want grits - why did you order breakfast?
Old 08-07-2008, 07:40 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by faye_arv View Post
I've always wondered, what are grits?? :-) I know the expression kiss my grits from an old tv show but I always thought she meant kiss my a--.
I think the best way to describe grits would be to say they are similar to Polenta. Here's how I like my grits. Cheese Grits
Old 08-09-2008, 01:51 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Old Southern expression: If you didn't want grits - why did you order breakfast?
I love that!! I keep trying them but haven't found any I like yet. I figure it is just a matter of finding a recipe that I like. I tried a couple from here but still didn't like em. But, I'm not the giving up kind!

As for snakes: Someone wants to catch em, kill em, skin and gut em, and cook em up I am willing to try em. But don't ask me to be in the same room while you are doing all that... oh and if you cook it up cut it up in sections so it doesn't look so much like a snake either...
I'm gettin the creeps, gotta get outta this thread, LOL.