"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-06-2016, 12:29 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Thank you all for your input. If I do try this, I have no concern about over cooking the steaks - I use a leave-in thermometer, and also finish them at a low heat in the oven to give myself a large margin of error - Better safe than sorry, nothing is worse than an overdone steak.

And, yes, I will be pan searing, not grilling. I love to use the Tim Ferriss method of cooking steaks

I realize that almost everyone said they wouldn't recommend finishing them in the oven an hour later - Except no one had a reason why, except one concern of overcooking - which will be impossible with the thermometer.

Scientifically, I can't think of a reason why this wouldn't work. Even if the proteins redistribute, it won't effect the done-ness of the meat.

Lastly, and I realize this sounds a bit ridiculous, but the entire idea stemmed from an episode of Beat Bobby Flay. In the episode, Bobby seared steaks, and then set them aside for nearly 35 min, before finishing them in the last few minutes under the broiler. Of course they, turned out perfect - Because he is Bobby Flay haha.

I'm still undecided if I am going to try this, but with my stubborn nature, I will most likely end up giving this a whirl. If I do move forward with it, I will repost on this thread with results.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
You can do a reverse sear. And wrap your steaks in a clean towel and place them in a cooler till you get to your friends house, Then sear them, In a pan or on the BBQ.
It seems to me that would be worse. Either the sear would be overdone or the center of the steak would be cold. Either way you lose the heat from the first stage.

You are talking about saving a very few minutes at best. Not worth the chance.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:11 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Just take pan with you and do at friends house just to be safe. I love my cast iron grill pan for this.
This
Old 02-06-2016, 02:39 PM   #14
Master Chef

I agree over cooked steak is terrible. Here is a PRIME cut sirloin steak cooked via reverse searing. I seasoned and let it sit for about 1 hour. Put in 275°F oven for approx. 25 minutes for 2 ½-inch steak till internal temp was 90°F. Then seared on a smoking hot cast iron stovetop grill pan till internal temp was 117°F. It was so good.

Now I want steak and eggs LOL Good luck and happy eating!!
Old 02-06-2016, 03:51 PM   #15
Head Chef

I must say, reverse searing makes the best steaks..........msmofet, I agree only I cook mine on high heat, 450-475 degree oven and cook 10-15 degrees less then what I like. rest for 15-30 minutes (covered) and sear on a hot cast iron pan till browned on each side.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:01 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
I must say, reverse searing makes the best steaks..........msmofet, I agree only I cook mine on high heat, 450-475 degree oven and cook 10-15 degrees less then what I like. rest for 15-30 minutes (covered) and sear on a hot cast iron pan till browned on each side.

I reverse-seared my Christmas prime rib the last two years. Perfect pink from edge to edge. It's a great technique.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:54 PM   #17
Master Chef

You guys are making me hungry for steak! I've tried (twice) to sear a steak in a CI pan, then finish in the oven. Each time, the smoke detectors went off. If I do the oven first, then sear on the stove, will it produce less smoke?

One of the grocery stores near me has Angus filet mignon for $10 a pound! Although certainly not anywhere near my favorite cut of steak. I'm thinking it might be lean enough to roast-then-sear without bringing in the fire department!

BTW, don't suggest I cover the smoke detectors. We have six of them, all interconnected, and all very sensitive. And when one goes off, they all do.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:00 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Don't use avocado oil, CG. I had a surprise flambé with the last one I cooked in a cast iron skillet. Admittedly, it was probably one of the best ribeyes we've ever had, just unexpectedly flaming. Keep a pot lid close.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:04 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I wouldn't pre-sear. I'd just do it all at their house.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:06 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
You guys are making me hungry for steak! I've tried (twice) to sear a steak in a CI pan, then finish in the oven. Each time, the smoke detectors went off. If I do the oven first, then sear on the stove, will it produce less smoke?

One of the grocery stores near me has Angus filet mignon for $10 a pound! Although certainly not anywhere near my favorite cut of steak. I'm thinking it might be lean enough to roast-then-sear without bringing in the fire department!

BTW, don't suggest I cover the smoke detectors. We have six of them, all interconnected, and all very sensitive. And when one goes off, they all do.
My smoke alarms go off too. Maybe not anymore, as now I have a cast iron skillet which should be a lot nicer to sear in. The other pans were a pain in the butt -- with food sticking to it, burning. The cast iron should be nicer to sear.

Tags
cook, cooking, steak