Cooking Steaks - Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buffwings

Assistant Cook
I cook steak all the time, basically weekly. I have the pan sear, finish in the oven down to a science.

My question is this...

Can anyone think of any issues if I pre-sear 4 steaks, and then finish them in an oven approximately an hour later?

I am bringing steak and eggs to a friends house and to save time and room in my friends kitchen, I was wondering if searing the steaks at my house first would work.

I cook often, and theoretically I think this would work, but I've never done it before and was wondering if anyone had any insight to this.

Agree. You really aren't doing the same thing if you wait an hour to put them in the oven. It seems to me that the interruption in the cooking process is bound to change the result.

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking :)

I wouldn't do it, either. When you sear and then place in the oven right away, the steaks are still hot when they go in, so they're properly cooked when they come out (assuming they're in there for the correct amount of time). When you sear and then wait an hour to roast, they cool off. By the time you get them into the oven, it will take longer than the other method to get them hot again, so they will be overcooked.

I guess the only way you'd know for sure is to do it, but I wouldn't do it either. Start and complete at your friends house or not at all.

Last edited:
Welcome to DC! I wouldn't do it either, but was just thinking about your idea of searing ahead of time, then wrapping in tinfoil. Put in a small cooler, wrap in handwarmers or a wireless heating pad and a towel. It probably wouldn't be as good as if you seared them when you got there.

A little cheap grill or hibachi and a small bag of charcoal to sear in situ might be better, then you can leave it as a hostess gift.

Have you checked with your friend about this? If they know this is what you're bringing, and they can make the oven available, it shouldn't be a problem to also use a burner for searing. It only takes a few minutes to sear, so you're not saving much time.

Did I read it wrong? The post said Pan sear? Where did the grill/bbq come from?
Just take pan with you and do at friends house just to be safe. I love my cast iron grill pan for this.

You can do a reverse sear. And wrap your steaks in a clean towel and place them in a cooler till you get to your friends house, Then sear them, In a pan or on the BBQ.

Thank you all for your input. If I do try this, I have no concern about over cooking the steaks - I use a leave-in thermometer, and also finish them at a low heat in the oven to give myself a large margin of error - Better safe than sorry, nothing is worse than an overdone steak.

And, yes, I will be pan searing, not grilling. I love to use the Tim Ferriss method of cooking steaks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8rVDy-zfNE

I realize that almost everyone said they wouldn't recommend finishing them in the oven an hour later - Except no one had a reason why, except one concern of overcooking - which will be impossible with the thermometer.

Scientifically, I can't think of a reason why this wouldn't work. Even if the proteins redistribute, it won't effect the done-ness of the meat.

Lastly, and I realize this sounds a bit ridiculous, but the entire idea stemmed from an episode of Beat Bobby Flay. In the episode, Bobby seared steaks, and then set them aside for nearly 35 min, before finishing them in the last few minutes under the broiler. Of course they, turned out perfect - Because he is Bobby Flay haha.

I'm still undecided if I am going to try this, but with my stubborn nature, I will most likely end up giving this a whirl. If I do move forward with it, I will repost on this thread with results.

You can do a reverse sear. And wrap your steaks in a clean towel and place them in a cooler till you get to your friends house, Then sear them, In a pan or on the BBQ.

It seems to me that would be worse. Either the sear would be overdone or the center of the steak would be cold. Either way you lose the heat from the first stage.

You are talking about saving a very few minutes at best. Not worth the chance.

I agree over cooked steak is terrible. Here is a PRIME cut sirloin steak cooked via reverse searing. I seasoned and let it sit for about 1 hour. Put in 275°F oven for approx. 25 minutes for 2 ½-inch steak till internal temp was 90°F. Then seared on a smoking hot cast iron stovetop grill pan till internal temp was 117°F. It was so good.

img_1454480_0_846226fc84b5a8a79c091be2ac515e50.jpg

img_1454480_1_586c8e2225f011350af242c450e04186.jpg

img_1454480_2_ae87407cbb1ada83862d42b2a25a71d5.jpg

Now I want steak and eggs LOL Good luck and happy eating!!

I must say, reverse searing makes the best steaks..........msmofet, I agree only I cook mine on high heat, 450-475 degree oven and cook 10-15 degrees less then what I like. rest for 15-30 minutes (covered) and sear on a hot cast iron pan till browned on each side.

39817-albums888-picture6342.jpg

I must say, reverse searing makes the best steaks..........msmofet, I agree only I cook mine on high heat, 450-475 degree oven and cook 10-15 degrees less then what I like. rest for 15-30 minutes (covered) and sear on a hot cast iron pan till browned on each side.

39817-albums888-picture6342.jpg

I reverse-seared my Christmas prime rib the last two years. Perfect pink from edge to edge. It's a great technique.

You guys are making me hungry for steak! :yum: I've tried (twice) to sear a steak in a CI pan, then finish in the oven. Each time, the smoke detectors went off. If I do the oven first, then sear on the stove, will it produce less smoke?

One of the grocery stores near me has Angus filet mignon for $10 a pound! Although certainly not anywhere near my favorite cut of steak. I'm thinking it might be lean enough to roast-then-sear without bringing in the fire department! :LOL:

BTW, don't suggest I cover the smoke detectors. We have six of them, all interconnected, and all very sensitive. And when one goes off, they all do. :wacko:

Don't use avocado oil, CG. I had a surprise flambé with the last one I cooked in a cast iron skillet. Admittedly, it was probably one of the best ribeyes we've ever had, just unexpectedly flaming. Keep a pot lid close.

You guys are making me hungry for steak! :yum: I've tried (twice) to sear a steak in a CI pan, then finish in the oven. Each time, the smoke detectors went off. If I do the oven first, then sear on the stove, will it produce less smoke?

One of the grocery stores near me has Angus filet mignon for $10 a pound! Although certainly not anywhere near my favorite cut of steak. I'm thinking it might be lean enough to roast-then-sear without bringing in the fire department! :LOL:

BTW, don't suggest I cover the smoke detectors. We have six of them, all interconnected, and all very sensitive. And when one goes off, they all do. :wacko:

My smoke alarms go off too. Maybe not anymore, as now I have a cast iron skillet which should be a lot nicer to sear in. The other pans were a pain in the butt -- with food sticking to it, burning. The cast iron should be nicer to sear.

Back
Top Bottom