"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I like my veggies cooked tender, not crunchy, and I like my pasta done, not al dente, not mushy, just done.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:20 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Just cut the horns off and wipe its arse....then bring it here... My whole family likes it blue rare. Depending on the cut of meat of course. If it is a fattier piece like a rib or ribe eye, I will cok them to rare. But for sirloin, filet, or loin, it is usually blue. I don't care to moisten it with any sauces, or condiments so after eating it like this for years, anything else seems too dried out.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
I've read that when basic hygienic rules are followed and when fresh meat is used the risk for food poisoning is low in steak tartare which is completely uncooked. It is not recommended for people who have a weakened immune system or suffer from a chronic illness, because for these people there is a greater risk of E.coli and salmonella. I would think the same rule applies for rare steak as for steak tartare under the USDA recommendation of a minimum temp of 145.

But with that said...i think eating blood is gross. I know I'm opening a can of worms with that comment as many like their steaks rare but I'm just sayin'
Mrs Hoot is much the same way. She likes pink steaks but she don't wanna see any blood. But, IMHO, there ain't no point in eating ANYTHING unless it is prepared as you wish. (With the exception of trying new and different dishes when I ain't sure what my preferences are yet. I do love tryin' new stuff.)
Old 11-13-2010, 10:27 AM   #14
Master Chef

I'm not a picky person but I'm really picky when it comes to steak and roast beef. It must be red, although not blue and not just pink, red is the word. Blue is "acceptable". Brown is out of the question. When eating out, the waiter better understand, and bring it the way I want it, or I'll send it back. Burgers can be a little pink, not red, and certainly not blue. You're right Andy, with burgers it's more of a "texture" thing.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #15
Executive Chef

I don't know why the blood is an issue. A well aged piece of meat rarely renders any liquid. Technically, you are still eating the blood even when it is cooked over medium. It has just been coagulated, and or the bodily fluids dried up. Proteins remain. Carpaccio is one of my favorite dishes. I occasionally sneak a slice of filet off of a steak, season it, and pop it in my mouth raw. Nothing like it, really...
Old 11-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Just as a point of fact, that reddish liquid you see with raw and rare cooked meats is not blood. Despite the color, it's protein-based fluids from the cells. I don't know if that makes it more palatable.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:12 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I don't know why the blood is an issue. A well aged piece of meat rarely renders any liquid. Technically, you are still eating the blood even when it is cooked over medium. It has just been coagulated, and or the bodily fluids dried up. Proteins remain. Carpaccio is one of my favorite dishes. I occasionally sneak a slice of filet off of a steak, season it, and pop it in my mouth raw. Nothing like it, really...
I'm with you Rocky.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:13 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I reckon it is simply a matter of personal preference. I, personally, prefer my steaks rare. If it a prime cut, the rarer, the better. Mrs Hoot simply doesn't want to see red blood on the plate, and she is entitled to her preference as are we all. Different strokes for different folks, as they say.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Just as a point of fact, that reddish liquid you see with raw and rare cooked meats is not blood. Despite the color, it's protein-based fluids from the cells. I don't know if that makes it more palatable.
I understand that, I truly do.... but I ain't had any luck convincing Mrs Hoot that it ain't blood.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I understand that, I truly do.... but I ain't had any luck convincing Mrs Hoot that it ain't blood.
And you shouldn't try. As you said, everyone is entitled to meat cooked the way they want it.