Cooking temperature of rare fillet steak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always tell the server that I want my steak rare, not raw, but now that several of you have used the term "blue", I'll change my order to "red, not blue" It expresses my wishes much more clearly.

That's one of the reason I love DC. Tidbits of knowledge.

So what should the core temperature be ?

Do we follow guidelines as stipulated by the government or throw them out of the window ?

Whether or not you choose to follow the fed's guidelines is a personal decision.

The internal temp of a steak would be determined by how "done" you want it.

Doneness Temperatures

Rare 127º F

Medium Rare 135º - 140º F

Medium 141º - 145º F

Medium Well 146º - 150º F

Well Done 150+

For steaks, you should take them off the heat about 5 degrees cooler than these temps and let them rest for 5-10 minutes to finish cooking.

i like rare rare steak, med rare burgers (if i cook em) pasta done, i like a rare roast beef and a slightly pink pork chop. it is hard for me to eat steak that is even med. tough i think. everyone is different , aren't they?

Last night we had Rump with a salt and pepper crust, sliced on ciabatta rolls with lots of fried onions and Horseradish sauce.

Guess the temp, celcius please;)
croatia 2010 094.jpg

most places i've worked in dont allow the customers to have blue steak, but ya know you'll do one every now and then to please the customer, mainly to the fact that i like my steak rare ;)

just depends whether the meat has been frozen or not, our place sells salmon, but its bought in frozen and we can't undercook it, so we cant deliver want the customer wants some times

Last edited:
Regardless of temperature, I order my steak "rare, not raw". I used to order medium rare, but too often what I got was too much on the medium side for my tastes. I like it red, but not purple.

My wife likes her's that way too....in other words, she likes her meat destroyed....:LOL:

I have the same problem. How do you handle it?

Once, when I was travelling in Newfoundland, I ordered my steak blue. The guy sitting next to me said, "Quick, call the vet. I think we can save it." :ROFLMAO:

It was yummy.

I have the same problem. How do you handle it?

Once, when I was travelling in Newfoundland, I ordered my steak blue. The guy sitting next to me said, "Quick, call the vet. I think we can save it." :ROFLMAO:

It was yummy.

It's a good thing I hesitated before that last sip of coffee!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom