"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cooking temperature of rare fillet steak?

The minimum cooking temperature for beef as reccommended by Foodsafety.gov is 145f , however this would result in a medium steak.

A rare steak shouldn't exceed approx 130f , a blue steak would probably be below 120f.

Would cooking to 120f present a high risk of food poisoning ? ( all safety/storage precautions taken ).

From a commercial point of view whos taking the risk , me or my customer or both of us ?

I,ve been a chef for many years and have never had a problem , but the cooking temperatures go against good food hygiene practices.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

These days restaurants all have a warning on their menus about eating raw or undercooked meats.

If you're selling steaks, they had better be cooked they way the customer ordered it or you're out of business.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
Flour Child

I've read that when basic hygienic rules are followed and when fresh meat is used the risk for food poisoning is low in steak tartare which is completely uncooked. It is not recommended for people who have a weakened immune system or suffer from a chronic illness, because for these people there is a greater risk of E.coli and salmonella. I would think the same rule applies for rare steak as for steak tartare under the USDA recommendation of a minimum temp of 145.

But with that said...i think eating blood is gross. I know I'm opening a can of worms with that comment as many like their steaks rare but I'm just sayin'

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Don't worry KL. Everyone has a favorite. For me, I'd rather eat shoe leather than a well done steak, but on the other hand I want my burger to not have any pink in it at all. Go figure.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
... but on the other hand I want my burger to not have any pink in it at all. Go figure.

I don't mean this as a sexist comment but I have had a number of women tell me the same thing. Steaks can be anywhere from rare to medium but there cannot be any pink in a burger. They all said it's a texture thing.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
Master Chef

My local over-priced burger joint with valet parking serves their burgers med-rare by default. They grind their own meat so I'm sure they know what they're doing and I don't mind eating it that way as I do with steaks, for the most part.
From all other places I enjoy well done burgers, including from my own grill, as long as they're juicy.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Burgers are put through a mincer and therefore is likely to be more prone to cross infection , which is why they tend to be fully cooked.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Are those med rare burgers cooked to the reccommended minimum temperatures for beef , if so they would end up fully cooked.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Burgers to me are YUK...I'll take a med rare steak if I have to now I just dont like big pieces of meat. I like the size in chinese food and chicken is out. I fix for the others but just can't get it to go down.
I love veggies cooked crunchy,
kadesma
Old 11-12-2010, 10:13 PM   #10
Master Chef

I like my rice and pasta al dente and most of my meats med-rare.