Cooking temperature of rare fillet steak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acc2020

Assistant Cook
The minimum cooking temperature for beef as reccommended by Foodsafety.gov is 145f , however this would result in a medium steak.

A rare steak shouldn't exceed approx 130f , a blue steak would probably be below 120f.

Would cooking to 120f present a high risk of food poisoning ? ( all safety/storage precautions taken ).

From a commercial point of view whos taking the risk , me or my customer or both of us ?

I,ve been a chef for many years and have never had a problem , but the cooking temperatures go against good food hygiene practices.

These days restaurants all have a warning on their menus about eating raw or undercooked meats.

If you're selling steaks, they had better be cooked they way the customer ordered it or you're out of business.

I've read that when basic hygienic rules are followed and when fresh meat is used the risk for food poisoning is low in steak tartare which is completely uncooked. It is not recommended for people who have a weakened immune system or suffer from a chronic illness, because for these people there is a greater risk of E.coli and salmonella. I would think the same rule applies for rare steak as for steak tartare under the USDA recommendation of a minimum temp of 145.

But with that said...i think eating blood is gross. I know I'm opening a can of worms with that comment as many like their steaks rare but I'm just sayin' :sick:

Don't worry KL. Everyone has a favorite. For me, I'd rather eat shoe leather than a well done steak, but on the other hand I want my burger to not have any pink in it at all. Go figure.

... but on the other hand I want my burger to not have any pink in it at all. Go figure.

I don't mean this as a sexist comment but I have had a number of women tell me the same thing. Steaks can be anywhere from rare to medium but there cannot be any pink in a burger. They all said it's a texture thing.

My local over-priced burger joint with valet parking serves their burgers med-rare by default. They grind their own meat so I'm sure they know what they're doing and I don't mind eating it that way as I do with steaks, for the most part.
From all other places I enjoy well done burgers, including from my own grill, as long as they're juicy.

Burgers are put through a mincer and therefore is likely to be more prone to cross infection , which is why they tend to be fully cooked.

Are those med rare burgers cooked to the reccommended minimum temperatures for beef , if so they would end up fully cooked.

Burgers to me are YUK...I'll take a med rare steak if I have to now I just dont like big pieces of meat. I like the size in chinese food and chicken is out. I fix for the others but just can't get it to go down.
I love veggies cooked crunchy,
kadesma

I like my veggies cooked tender, not crunchy, and I like my pasta done, not al dente, not mushy, just done.

Just cut the horns off and wipe its arse....then bring it here...:LOL: My whole family likes it blue rare. Depending on the cut of meat of course. If it is a fattier piece like a rib or ribe eye, I will cok them to rare. But for sirloin, filet, or loin, it is usually blue. I don't care to moisten it with any sauces, or condiments so after eating it like this for years, anything else seems too dried out.

I've read that when basic hygienic rules are followed and when fresh meat is used the risk for food poisoning is low in steak tartare which is completely uncooked. It is not recommended for people who have a weakened immune system or suffer from a chronic illness, because for these people there is a greater risk of E.coli and salmonella. I would think the same rule applies for rare steak as for steak tartare under the USDA recommendation of a minimum temp of 145.

But with that said...i think eating blood is gross. I know I'm opening a can of worms with that comment as many like their steaks rare but I'm just sayin' :sick:

Mrs Hoot is much the same way. She likes pink steaks but she don't wanna see any blood. But, IMHO, there ain't no point in eating ANYTHING unless it is prepared as you wish. (With the exception of trying new and different dishes when I ain't sure what my preferences are yet. I do love tryin' new stuff.)

I'm not a picky person but I'm really picky when it comes to steak and roast beef. It must be red, although not blue and not just pink, red is the word. Blue is "acceptable". Brown is out of the question. When eating out, the waiter better understand, and bring it the way I want it, or I'll send it back. Burgers can be a little pink, not red, and certainly not blue. You're right Andy, with burgers it's more of a "texture" thing.

I don't know why the blood is an issue. A well aged piece of meat rarely renders any liquid. Technically, you are still eating the blood even when it is cooked over medium. It has just been coagulated, and or the bodily fluids dried up. Proteins remain. Carpaccio is one of my favorite dishes. I occasionally sneak a slice of filet off of a steak, season it, and pop it in my mouth raw. Nothing like it, really...

Just as a point of fact, that reddish liquid you see with raw and rare cooked meats is not blood. Despite the color, it's protein-based fluids from the cells. I don't know if that makes it more palatable.

I don't know why the blood is an issue. A well aged piece of meat rarely renders any liquid. Technically, you are still eating the blood even when it is cooked over medium. It has just been coagulated, and or the bodily fluids dried up. Proteins remain. Carpaccio is one of my favorite dishes. I occasionally sneak a slice of filet off of a steak, season it, and pop it in my mouth raw. Nothing like it, really...
I'm with you Rocky.

I reckon it is simply a matter of personal preference. I, personally, prefer my steaks rare. If it a prime cut, the rarer, the better. Mrs Hoot simply doesn't want to see red blood on the plate, and she is entitled to her preference as are we all. Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

Just as a point of fact, that reddish liquid you see with raw and rare cooked meats is not blood. Despite the color, it's protein-based fluids from the cells. I don't know if that makes it more palatable.
I understand that, I truly do.... but I ain't had any luck convincing Mrs Hoot that it ain't blood. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom