"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-09-2015, 08:13 AM   #31
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipplej View Post
Thanks for the welcome and support CG. Pierogi looks very interesting to try. I had the national dish of Poland down as "Bigos". Any idea what that is?

We used to have a Polish girl here on DC. She posted an awesome Bigos recipe a while ago. Search for it. If you do not find, I know I have it saved somewhere and will find it for you.


Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
__________________

__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:44 PM   #32
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,414
Kasia's Bigos Recipe:

Bigos - old Polish meal
__________________

__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:07 PM   #33
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipplej View Post
I've never made pie crust but I saw my Mum do it thirty years ago. I can't remember anything about it other than it looking yellow. We will give it a go though!!!
Psst! Just between you and me and don't tell anyone but you can by pastry for pie making in the supermarket either frozen or in the chill cabinet. Even professional chefs recommend it nowadays and it's very good, especially the one made with butter.

As a pastry klutz (warm hands, cold heart ) I always buy it rather than making it.
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 02:31 PM   #34
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,165
What are you going to do for England? Fish and Chips with mushy peas? Steak and kidney pudding?

Scotland? Porridge? Haggis?

Wales? Welsh Rarebit? Cawl (Pronounced Cowl - a stew made with meat or fish depending where you are)

N. Ireland? Champ? The famous Ulster Fry - (soda bread and potato farls, fried (or occasionally grilled) until crisp and golden. Fried bacon, sausages, an egg, a tomato and sometimes mushrooms complete the dish and it is usually served with tea and toast. Very yummy but a heart attack on a plate!)


imes mushrooms complete the dish and it is usually served with tea and toast

A newspaper article a couple of years ago announced that the national dish of the UK was chicken tikka masala but I think that was a little tongue in cheek.
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:01 PM   #35
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Milton Keynes
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I had a co-worker from Poland who made me some Bigos, it was the only time I ever enjoyed sauerkraut. It's a traditional Polish Hunter's Stew with Pork, Kielbasa and sauerkraut.
Consider my limited and child-like pallete, for some reason I really like sauerkraut!
The Polish stew sounds nice.
__________________
Jason
Cuisine and Country
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcDPk5Iwj7GnjtFCgDVuOpw
tipplej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #36
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Milton Keynes
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Psst! Just between you and me and don't tell anyone but you can by pastry for pie making in the supermarket either frozen or in the chill cabinet. Even professional chefs recommend it nowadays and it's very good, especially the one made with butter.
Oops... I think they noticed.
Should have sent a private message!
__________________
Jason
Cuisine and Country
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcDPk5Iwj7GnjtFCgDVuOpw
tipplej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #37
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Milton Keynes
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
What are you going to do for England?
Scotland?
Wales?
N. Ireland?

A newspaper article a couple of years ago announced that the national dish of the UK was chicken tikka masala but I think that was a little tongue in cheek.
England, maybe a Roast... Although apparently Tikka Masala is one of our national dishes.

Scotland - we'll try and make Haggis...
Wales - definitely - the Cawl.

I had an Ulster Fry one in Ireland so would love to make it.

I'm a bit more worried about finding turtle or conch for the Cayman Islands. It's probably illegal to cook Turtle in England. Might have top travel to Cayman and film an episode there!!!
__________________
Jason
Cuisine and Country
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcDPk5Iwj7GnjtFCgDVuOpw
tipplej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:02 PM   #38
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipplej View Post
England, maybe a Roast... Although apparently Tikka Masala is one of our national dishes.

Scotland - we'll try and make Haggis...
Wales - definitely - the Cawl.

I had an Ulster Fry one in Ireland so would love to make it.

I'm a bit more worried about finding turtle or conch for the Cayman Islands. It's probably illegal to cook Turtle in England. Might have top travel to Cayman and film an episode there!!!
Bahamas is also conch - conch salad or crack conch. Actually conch is best fresh, just briefly marinated in fresh squeezed lime juice and eaten raw (had it a few times like this when out on a boat or on a beach day. Head out in the water, find a conch or two, clean, slice, marinate, and you are eating 5 minutes later.

Conch salad is just about the best way to have it after this. It's diced with a variety of veggies including tomato, bell pepper, celery, onion, and hot peppers (usually Scotch bonnet or habenero or what Bahamians call bird peppers - little finger peppers about an inch long) and a little fruit for some sweetness (apple and/or mango), then the dressing is fresh squeezed sour orange juice, lime juice, and lemon juice. There are several recipes online if you Google it, and all are different, just as every place you eat it in the Bahamas is a little different.

Crack conch is pounded, then battered and deep fried. The pounding keeps it tender. It takes very little heat to make it like very tough rubber.

My wife and I lived in the Bahamas from 2012-2014, so we got very familiar with conch. It truly is one of the staple foods of the country.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:38 PM   #39
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipplej View Post
Oops... I think they noticed.
Should have sent a private message!
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:19 PM   #40
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Bahamas is also conch - conch salad or crack conch. Actually conch is best fresh, just briefly marinated in fresh squeezed lime juice and eaten raw (had it a few times like this when out on a boat or on a beach day. Head out in the water, find a conch or two, clean, slice, marinate, and you are eating 5 minutes later.

Conch salad is just about the best way to have it after this. It's diced with a variety of veggies including tomato, bell pepper, celery, onion, and hot peppers (usually Scotch bonnet or habenero or what Bahamians call bird peppers - little finger peppers about an inch long) and a little fruit for some sweetness (apple and/or mango), then the dressing is fresh squeezed sour orange juice, lime juice, and lemon juice. There are several recipes online if you Google it, and all are different, just as every place you eat it in the Bahamas is a little different.

Crack conch is pounded, then battered and deep fried. The pounding keeps it tender. It takes very little heat to make it like very tough rubber.

My wife and I lived in the Bahamas from 2012-2014, so we got very familiar with conch. It truly is one of the staple foods of the country.
You left out fritters and chowder!
__________________

__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cook, cooking

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.