"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-09-2015, 08:13 AM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipplej View Post
Thanks for the welcome and support CG. Pierogi looks very interesting to try. I had the national dish of Poland down as "Bigos". Any idea what that is?

We used to have a Polish girl here on DC. She posted an awesome Bigos recipe a while ago. Search for it. If you do not find, I know I have it saved somewhere and will find it for you.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Old 02-09-2015, 01:44 PM   #32
Wine Guy

Kasia's Bigos Recipe:

Bigos - old Polish meal

Old 02-09-2015, 02:07 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
I've never made pie crust but I saw my Mum do it thirty years ago. I can't remember anything about it other than it looking yellow. We will give it a go though!!!
Psst! Just between you and me and don't tell anyone but you can by pastry for pie making in the supermarket either frozen or in the chill cabinet. Even professional chefs recommend it nowadays and it's very good, especially the one made with butter.

As a pastry klutz (warm hands, cold heart ) I always buy it rather than making it.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:31 PM   #34
Executive Chef

What are you going to do for England? Fish and Chips with mushy peas? Steak and kidney pudding?

Scotland? Porridge? Haggis?

Wales? Welsh Rarebit? Cawl (Pronounced Cowl - a stew made with meat or fish depending where you are)

N. Ireland? Champ? The famous Ulster Fry - (soda bread and potato farls, fried (or occasionally grilled) until crisp and golden. Fried bacon, sausages, an egg, a tomato and sometimes mushrooms complete the dish and it is usually served with tea and toast. Very yummy but a heart attack on a plate!)

imes mushrooms complete the dish and it is usually served with tea and toast

A newspaper article a couple of years ago announced that the national dish of the UK was chicken tikka masala but I think that was a little tongue in cheek.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:01 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I had a co-worker from Poland who made me some Bigos, it was the only time I ever enjoyed sauerkraut. It's a traditional Polish Hunter's Stew with Pork, Kielbasa and sauerkraut.
Consider my limited and child-like pallete, for some reason I really like sauerkraut!
The Polish stew sounds nice.
tipplej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Psst! Just between you and me and don't tell anyone but you can by pastry for pie making in the supermarket either frozen or in the chill cabinet. Even professional chefs recommend it nowadays and it's very good, especially the one made with butter.
Oops... I think they noticed.
Should have sent a private message!
Old 02-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
What are you going to do for England?
Scotland?
Wales?
N. Ireland?

A newspaper article a couple of years ago announced that the national dish of the UK was chicken tikka masala but I think that was a little tongue in cheek.
England, maybe a Roast... Although apparently Tikka Masala is one of our national dishes.

Scotland - we'll try and make Haggis...
Wales - definitely - the Cawl.

I had an Ulster Fry one in Ireland so would love to make it.

I'm a bit more worried about finding turtle or conch for the Cayman Islands. It's probably illegal to cook Turtle in England. Might have top travel to Cayman and film an episode there!!!
Old 02-09-2015, 04:02 PM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:
England, maybe a Roast... Although apparently Tikka Masala is one of our national dishes.

Scotland - we'll try and make Haggis...
Wales - definitely - the Cawl.

I had an Ulster Fry one in Ireland so would love to make it.

I'm a bit more worried about finding turtle or conch for the Cayman Islands. It's probably illegal to cook Turtle in England. Might have top travel to Cayman and film an episode there!!!
Bahamas is also conch - conch salad or crack conch. Actually conch is best fresh, just briefly marinated in fresh squeezed lime juice and eaten raw (had it a few times like this when out on a boat or on a beach day. Head out in the water, find a conch or two, clean, slice, marinate, and you are eating 5 minutes later.

Conch salad is just about the best way to have it after this. It's diced with a variety of veggies including tomato, bell pepper, celery, onion, and hot peppers (usually Scotch bonnet or habenero or what Bahamians call bird peppers - little finger peppers about an inch long) and a little fruit for some sweetness (apple and/or mango), then the dressing is fresh squeezed sour orange juice, lime juice, and lemon juice. There are several recipes online if you Google it, and all are different, just as every place you eat it in the Bahamas is a little different.

Crack conch is pounded, then battered and deep fried. The pounding keeps it tender. It takes very little heat to make it like very tough rubber.

My wife and I lived in the Bahamas from 2012-2014, so we got very familiar with conch. It truly is one of the staple foods of the country.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:38 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Oops... I think they noticed.
Should have sent a private message!
Old 02-10-2015, 02:19 PM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Bahamas is also conch - conch salad or crack conch. Actually conch is best fresh, just briefly marinated in fresh squeezed lime juice and eaten raw (had it a few times like this when out on a boat or on a beach day. Head out in the water, find a conch or two, clean, slice, marinate, and you are eating 5 minutes later.

Conch salad is just about the best way to have it after this. It's diced with a variety of veggies including tomato, bell pepper, celery, onion, and hot peppers (usually Scotch bonnet or habenero or what Bahamians call bird peppers - little finger peppers about an inch long) and a little fruit for some sweetness (apple and/or mango), then the dressing is fresh squeezed sour orange juice, lime juice, and lemon juice. There are several recipes online if you Google it, and all are different, just as every place you eat it in the Bahamas is a little different.

Crack conch is pounded, then battered and deep fried. The pounding keeps it tender. It takes very little heat to make it like very tough rubber.

My wife and I lived in the Bahamas from 2012-2014, so we got very familiar with conch. It truly is one of the staple foods of the country.
You left out fritters and chowder!

Tags
cook, cooking