Cooking the national dish of every country

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It would teach making a pie crust which would be a great learning experience for newbies.

I've never made pie crust but I saw my Mum do it thirty years ago. I can't remember anything about it other than it looking yellow. We will give it a go though!!!

Borscht is indeed one thing that would be on the very top of the list. It is a soup made using meat, beets, potato, carrots, onion, tomato (or tomato sauce) and cabbage.

Good luck. You're going to needed. :yum:

Thanks, we will eat well though! And to be honest Borscht sounds delicious!!!
:chef:

That looks fantastic and is really clear to follow with the pics. I would love to try that but it looks more like 5 hours than 45 minutes! The first bit is an hour and a half. The first two episodes took 5 or 6 hours to film so it's tricky for me to make the curds for the poutine. But the recipe looks fantastic so I really may just have to set a day aside to make them and record it. Brilliant link GotGarlic. I really want to make those curds!

Sorry, I got that recipe confused with one for fresh mozzarella. You could substitute fresh mozzarella for curds - it's practically the same thing. But you probably already have your ingredients.

If you ever want to make fresh mozzarella, though, here's a recipe: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-homemade-mozzarella-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-174355

Welcome to DC, tipplej! I'm so glad you are taking us along on your eating adventure. Might inspire me to try some "exotic" dishes. The one piece of advice I can offer is something I learned that makes things run a bit more smoothly for me. Read your recipe several times before you start, measure out and line up all your ingredients, and double-check each measure to make sure it's what you need. (Lesson learned after one, very embarrassing pumpkin pie made with no sugar...the year after I admonished my Mom for forgetting the sugar.)

I come from Polish stock. I grew up eating both foods that have made it into the mainstream and foods that are decidedly old-world. For Polish foods you can't go wrong with a smoked sausage like kielbasa, served up along side a pile of pierogi sauteed in butter and onions. Every culture has pierogi, they just call them by different names: ravioli, pot stickers, etc. All variations of yummy, filled noodle dough. Pierogis aren't hard to do - I've done it once and wonder why I haven't made them since. If you're interested, I found a simple tutorial; links to the recipe variations are after the author's story.

How to Make Pierogi from Scratch

...For USA I might just do Burger, Mac N Cheese and Apple Pie in the same episode!
Or think "Hot Dog". Those wieners are served all over the country, but it seems like every region has their own style. This article from "Delish" offers up ten different variations. I found other sites, but this one seemed the easiest to navigate. Whatever you pick for the United States, have fun and enjoy!

Welcome to DC, tipplej! I'm so glad you are taking us along on your eating adventure. Might inspire me to try some "exotic" dishes.

I come from Polish stock. I grew up eating both foods that have made it into the mainstream and foods that are decidedly old-world. For Polish foods you can't go wrong with a smoked sausage like kielbasa, served up along side a pile of pierogi sauteed in butter and onions.

Thanks for the welcome and support CG. Pierogi looks very interesting to try. I had the national dish of Poland down as "Bigos". Any idea what that is?

Thanks for the welcome and support CG. Pierogi looks very interesting to try. I had the national dish of Poland down as "Bigos". Any idea what that is?

I had a co-worker from Poland who made me some Bigos, it was the only time I ever enjoyed sauerkraut. It's a traditional Polish Hunter's Stew with Pork, Kielbasa and sauerkraut.

We used to have a Polish girl here on DC. She posted an awesome Bigos recipe a while ago. Search for it. If you do not find, I know I have it saved somewhere and will find it for you.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

I've never made pie crust but I saw my Mum do it thirty years ago. I can't remember anything about it other than it looking yellow. We will give it a go though!!!
Psst! Just between you and me and don't tell anyone but you can by pastry for pie making in the supermarket either frozen or in the chill cabinet. Even professional chefs recommend it nowadays and it's very good, especially the one made with butter.

As a pastry klutz (warm hands, cold heart ;)) I always buy it rather than making it.

What are you going to do for England? Fish and Chips with mushy peas? Steak and kidney pudding?

Scotland? Porridge? Haggis?

Wales? Welsh Rarebit? Cawl (Pronounced Cowl - a stew made with meat or fish depending where you are)

N. Ireland? Champ? The famous Ulster Fry - (soda bread and potato farls, fried (or occasionally grilled) until crisp and golden. Fried bacon, sausages, an egg, a tomato and sometimes mushrooms complete the dish and it is usually served with tea and toast. Very yummy but a heart attack on a plate!)

imes mushrooms complete the dish and it is usually served with tea and toast

A newspaper article a couple of years ago announced that the national dish of the UK was chicken tikka masala but I think that was a little tongue in cheek.

I had a co-worker from Poland who made me some Bigos, it was the only time I ever enjoyed sauerkraut. It's a traditional Polish Hunter's Stew with Pork, Kielbasa and sauerkraut.

Consider my limited and child-like pallete, for some reason I really like sauerkraut!
The Polish stew sounds nice.

Psst! Just between you and me and don't tell anyone but you can by pastry for pie making in the supermarket either frozen or in the chill cabinet. Even professional chefs recommend it nowadays and it's very good, especially the one made with butter.

Oops... I think they noticed.
Should have sent a private message!

What are you going to do for England?
Scotland?
Wales?
N. Ireland?

A newspaper article a couple of years ago announced that the national dish of the UK was chicken tikka masala but I think that was a little tongue in cheek.

England, maybe a Roast... Although apparently Tikka Masala is one of our national dishes.

Scotland - we'll try and make Haggis...
Wales - definitely - the Cawl.

I had an Ulster Fry one in Ireland so would love to make it.

I'm a bit more worried about finding turtle or conch for the Cayman Islands. It's probably illegal to cook Turtle in England. Might have top travel to Cayman and film an episode there!!!

England, maybe a Roast... Although apparently Tikka Masala is one of our national dishes.

Scotland - we'll try and make Haggis...
Wales - definitely - the Cawl.

I had an Ulster Fry one in Ireland so would love to make it.

I'm a bit more worried about finding turtle or conch for the Cayman Islands. It's probably illegal to cook Turtle in England. Might have top travel to Cayman and film an episode there!!!

Bahamas is also conch - conch salad or crack conch. Actually conch is best fresh, just briefly marinated in fresh squeezed lime juice and eaten raw (had it a few times like this when out on a boat or on a beach day. Head out in the water, find a conch or two, clean, slice, marinate, and you are eating 5 minutes later.

Conch salad is just about the best way to have it after this. It's diced with a variety of veggies including tomato, bell pepper, celery, onion, and hot peppers (usually Scotch bonnet or habenero or what Bahamians call bird peppers - little finger peppers about an inch long) and a little fruit for some sweetness (apple and/or mango), then the dressing is fresh squeezed sour orange juice, lime juice, and lemon juice. There are several recipes online if you Google it, and all are different, just as every place you eat it in the Bahamas is a little different.

Crack conch is pounded, then battered and deep fried. The pounding keeps it tender. It takes very little heat to make it like very tough rubber.

My wife and I lived in the Bahamas from 2012-2014, so we got very familiar with conch. It truly is one of the staple foods of the country.

Last edited:
Bahamas is also conch - conch salad or crack conch. Actually conch is best fresh, just briefly marinated in fresh squeezed lime juice and eaten raw (had it a few times like this when out on a boat or on a beach day. Head out in the water, find a conch or two, clean, slice, marinate, and you are eating 5 minutes later.

Conch salad is just about the best way to have it after this. It's diced with a variety of veggies including tomato, bell pepper, celery, onion, and hot peppers (usually Scotch bonnet or habenero or what Bahamians call bird peppers - little finger peppers about an inch long) and a little fruit for some sweetness (apple and/or mango), then the dressing is fresh squeezed sour orange juice, lime juice, and lemon juice. There are several recipes online if you Google it, and all are different, just as every place you eat it in the Bahamas is a little different.

Crack conch is pounded, then battered and deep fried. The pounding keeps it tender. It takes very little heat to make it like very tough rubber.

My wife and I lived in the Bahamas from 2012-2014, so we got very familiar with conch. It truly is one of the staple foods of the country.

You left out fritters and chowder!:ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom