Cooking two things at once

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christie21

Assistant Cook
Ok So I am cooking my dale steak sauce chicken wings tonight ( frozen 375 45 min turn and then another 45 min) well I also want to cook 2 baked potatoes. Will this alter my cooking time for the chicken wings?

DO you think i should put the potatoes on the top rack and the dish on the bottom rack?

I am not by any means an expert on co-baking, but I'd probably rotate the dishes half-way through baking - switching which shelf the dish is on and rotating it front to back, to accommodate for any hot spots in the oven.

The potatoes and the baking dish can go side by side as long as they fit. This makes sure they both get even heat - unless it is a convection oven where you can put them anywhere you want...inside the oven that is. ;)

by the way, you can microwave a "baked" potato if you want to simplify things....you won't get the dry/crispy skin if you like it that way, but it will still be good....just use a fork to poke it full of holes, and put it on high.....i usually cook red potatoes for anywhere between 8 and 15 minutes, longer for russet

the actual time will vary, so i would start at 5 min or so, check, then keep cooking in intervals until you are happy

You can also stick a clean nail in a potato, bake in a regular oven. The heat of the nail helps to cook it from the inside as well as the outside heat of the oven.

cool tip! i think i've actually heard that before, but i forgot about it

but if you want to cook a potato REALLY fast, you can stick the nail though the potato and into an electrical outlet! though i wonder if you would wind up with mashed potatoes instead....

depends of if you like a soft or crunchy skin. I like it crunchy, so oil the potato, and sprinkle with a coarse sea salt, no foil. Usiing foil makes the skin tender.

What is better foil or no foil baked potatoe

not an easy question to answer.

a foil wrapped potato tends to "steam" itself more. which is just peachy keen on 'older' stocks or 'drier' potatoes.

no foil does make for a drier / crunchier skin - can get to the 'tough' stage - but there be folks (me amongst them) that like a chewy potato skin - drowned in sour cream, I guess I should add....

'fresh potatoes' - i.e. recently dug / new crop - I find do better unwrapped - helps them dry out a bit to get to the tender flaky texture. I grow potatoes in my garden and I rather frequently go 'dig for dinner' - in that stage of fresh (where just 'washing' the potato removes most of the skin....) imho they do better unwrapped.

store bought potatoes vary greatly over time - but post Thanksgiving when most of the crop has been in storage for a while I prefer to wrap them. by Feb-Jun, the stored potato stocks are certain candidates for a washing/wetting/foil wrap.

of course, there is no accounting for taste and preferences - including mine!

When I am in a hurry or forget to start the baked potatoes I microwave them and then put them in the oven for about 15 minutes to crisp up the skin.

There's no need to put your 2 baking potatoes in any sort of dish. Just squeeze them in directly on your oven rack next to your wing pan. They should do just fine.

As far as doing baked potatoes in the microwave, I do it all the time. In fact, far more frequently than I do them in the oven. For 2 nice-size Idahos, I just pierce them with a fork lengthwise (which makes an automatic "splitting" line for when they're done), put them on a plate, & microwave on high for 7 minutes. I then flip them over & microwave for another 7 minutes. I then wrap both potatoes together in a clean kitchen towel & allow them to sit for 5 minutes. Perfect baked potatoes every time. I don't remember when or where I read of this method, but it was more than a dozen years ago & always works for me.

I like "no foil" baked tater, just a matter of preferance..
As far as cooking two things at once in the oven?..to
me?..as long as your not blocking any radiant heat
source significantly from one dish to another I see no
problem, but you can't bake like two bulky items like
turkeys or large casseroles without some time adjust-
ments and usually time adjustments are not favorable.
smaller items, no problem...I do it all the time.....BH51.

Back
Top Bottom