Cooking videos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Panfreak

Assistant Cook
I took a crack at making a cooking video. It was a very interesting experience. I had trouble with the camera, editing, and feeling comfortable in front of the camera. I definitely have a new appreciation for what the contestants on Next Food Network Star go through.

Has anyone made cooking videos? Do you have any advice for me?http://www.youtube.com/amylearnstocook

Last edited by a moderator:
No cooking video, but I did make a fish cleaning video once. It wasn't by choice.

It was really fun to make but it was challenging that is for sure! I had problems with my sound (I forgot to turn my mic on), with the camera, and with editing. Then I feel like I look really strange on camera...I guess it is because I am not used to seeing and hearing myself.

Thanks for posting this. I will be making some as well soon for my site. It's a good video!

I took a crack at making a cooking video. It was a very interesting experience. I had trouble with the camera, editing, and feeling comfortable in front of the camera. I definitely have a new appreciation for what the contestants on Next Food Network Star go through.

Has anyone made cooking videos? Do you have any advice for me?

Try to learn the science behind the dish. If you give the reason of "why" you do a certain step, your viewer is likely to remember it and come back to see more of your videos.

Example: When making the Hershery's chocolate cocoa cake, you add a cup of boiling water at the end. The reason: Hot water helps bloom the chocolate flavor and makes it more intense.

Example: When creaming butter and sugar, make sure the butter is room temperature. The reason: If butter is cold out of the fridge, it will not blend completely with the sugar.

Good luck on your endeavor. And I love your opening cartoon. :angel:

Some more suggestions. Like a good cookbook, start with stating the temp of the oven. Then slowly list needed ingredients and amounts. Give the viewer time to write it down.

Kitchen Aid also sells a mixer blade that relieves you of stopping and scraping down the bowl. They make them for the larger mixer such as yours and a smaller one for the five and four quart mixer.

http://www.shopkitchenaid.com/-[KAFE7L]-401502/KAFE7L/

You might want to consider purchasing this as it saves time and a step or two in the the process. And you can point it out to your viewers. Like you did with your beautiful berry cassereole. Almost everyone has a KA mixer in their home. i have one and I LOVE it. It really creams the butter and sugar completely in half the time.

Try talking while the mixer is running. Watching a mixer paddle turn is boring and doesn't hold the viewers interest.

One last thing. Find something to cover your burners. Use a chopping block or purchase burner covers. That grating noise from the bottom of your beautiful dish against the burner was hard to hear. :angel:

Do tell us about it Craig. We all love a good story (or laugh). :angel:
Not much to tell, except that a girlfriend (at the time), video camera, warm sun and copious amounts of Capt. Morgan don't make for a good combo when you have 100+ pounds of fish to clean before the boat gets back to the dock. Especially when she is the one filming and also having the copious amounts of rum.:rolleyes:

Production value wise, it's a pretty good video (cobbler) for what you can do in most home kitchens with one camera and no B roll editing. The lighting worked out very well. Camera position and height are always compromises in this situation, but it worked out. You can see the range top well. The commercial stages have the room for you to move the camera back and use a longer focal length to normalize the perspective, and the elevated and overhead cameras take care of the close shots.

As you go along and get into more elaborate editing, you can shoot B roll, the secondary shots to insert for details and closeups without interrupting the audio stream.

Back in the late 60's, I worked at a rather tightwad television station where they only bought one color studio camera, so it took a strong and agile cameraman to work the live homemaker cooking show.

Back
Top Bottom