"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-02-2006, 11:52 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

K, guys... I'm not saying that it's okay to just leave out any ingredients! I'm just stating that the measurements don't have to be PRECISE! i might be an 1/8 teaspoon off when i measure stuff, that's it...

Old 09-02-2006, 12:03 PM   #12
Everymom

Master Lau, most good bakers have an "eye" for measurements. It sounds like that is what you are describing. No one is suggesting you need to measure to the last 1/8 tsp to get the correct results. Altitude and humidity in different areas preclude recipes being EXACTLY the same. What is most important is the ratio of ingredients to one another. You need sugar for the yeast to work etc. Too much of any ingredient and your bread will be trash. There is room to fiddle, but not a lot with some ingredients. Like the yeast and sugar...too much of either and the results will be MUCH different. So, I think most people are telling you that you don't need to be completely precise in baking as long as you don't go nuts with any one ingredient.

Am I on target folks?

Old 09-02-2006, 12:18 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

nice alex...
Old 09-02-2006, 12:28 PM   #14
Everymom

With an "i" if you please Master Lau. Alix. And thanks.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:31 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

yeah, i noticed that
Old 09-02-2006, 01:28 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lau
K, guys... I'm not saying that it's okay to just leave out any ingredients! I'm just stating that the measurements don't have to be PRECISE! i might be an 1/8 teaspoon off when i measure stuff, that's it...
You seem to be changing from "I don't let the bread rise--just bake it and I like it" to 1/8 tsp measurements as a reason that recipes aren't needed. I think my work may be done here. Moving targets are really hard to hit. ;o)
Old 09-02-2006, 01:51 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

i don't count kneading bread dough as a measurement...i think i am being missunderstood. i don't know how to explain things well
Old 09-02-2006, 02:02 PM   #18
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Gretchen hit it earlier.

Just my$.02
Baking=Formulas, chemistry, BLUE PRINT
Cooking=Suggestions, there is a recipie, not a blue print.
Old 09-02-2006, 02:59 PM   #19
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lau
ok, well in cooking your not going to go as far is an doubling anything...I don't think anyone would be foolish enough to double the amount of flour in the bread, it's common sense. What i'm saying is that things in baking don't have to be EXACT... i'm not saying it's okay to add twice as much flour. Sometimes if i am measure flour i didn't fill it up all the way, so the next cup will be over flowing to make up for that last cup.. stuff like that.

But even with baking powder, salt and minor ingredients i do the same thing
The baking of SOME breads is the most forgiving in the baking world. "Some" being the operative word here. Some breads require following the instructions to the letter, as does cake baking. If you try your approach with a chiffon cake, Master Lau, you will most assuredly be disappointed every time.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:25 AM   #20
Sous Chef

I think to get things looking and tasting right, in both cooking and baking is a matter of trial and error.
i never measure anything exactly. I just say that was exactly right, or there is too much or too little of this or that in something.
Mel