"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-21-2005, 09:27 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Brandied Sour Cream Orange Bundt Cake

1 box yellow cake mix -- (18 1/2 oz.)
1 box instant vanilla pudding -- (3 3/4 oz.) and pie filling mix
3/4 C. brandy -- divided (see note)
1/3 C. orange juice
1/4 C. orange juice
1/2 C. sour cream -- or reduced-fat sour cream
4 eggs -- at room temperature (see note)
1 C. chopped pecans -- or English walnuts
3 T. freshly grated orange peel
1/4 C. butter or margarine
3/4 C. granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease a 10-inch diameter tube or Bundt pan.

In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, 1/2 cup of the brandy or orange liqueur, 1/3 cup of the orange juice and sour cream, beating well with an electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in nuts and orange peel. Spoon into the prepared pan.

Bake for 45 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into cake comes out clean. Remove cake from oven and allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes. Turn cake out onto a large sheet of foil (right-side-up for 10-inch tube pan and upside-down for a 10-inch Bundt pan). Using a thin long wooden skewer, make holes all over top of hot cake.

When cake is almost done, prepare syrup. In a small heavy saucepan, melt butter or margarine over low heat. Add sugar and remaining 1/4 cup orange juice, blending well. Bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in remaining 1/4 cup brandy or orange liqueur (see note).

Drizzle hot syrup over top of cake very slowly, being careful that too much syrup does not run into crack on top of tube cake. Bring foil up around cake and wrap securely. Cake may be served when completely cooled. Or, cake may be stored in an airtight cake container or wrapped in foil and stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 weeks.

NOTE: If not using brandy or orange liqueur, increase orange juice to 7/8 cup.

NOTE: May omit eggs; use the equivalent of 3 eggs in egg substitute, such as Egg Beaters.

Old 01-21-2005, 09:29 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Hubbard Squash-Almond Crisp

4 Ib. Hubbard squash
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup brandy
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 cup slivered blanched almonds
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 ground cinnamon
10 Tbsp. unsalted butter - softened
1/2 cup Amaretti cookies - crushed
1 pint heavy cream - chilled

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toast almonds and chop until fine. Halve the squash lengthwise and remove seeds and fiber. Place squash, cut side down, in a shallow baking dish. Pour in the water. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove dish from oven, turn squash over and cool. Use a spoon to remove the flesh. Cut into 2-inch cubes. Place squash in a bowl, drizzle with brandy, sprinkle with sugar, and set aside for 30 minutes to macerate. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Mix in the butter, working with your fingers until the mixture holds together and is crumbly. Stir in the chopped almonds and the crushed Amaretti cookies. Set aside. Place squash and juice in a 12-inch round baking dish. Spread the almond mixture evenly over them. Bake for 1 hour or until the squash is bubbling and the topping is golden brown. Serve with hot crisp drizzled with heavy cream.

Old 01-21-2005, 09:30 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Brandied Chicken With Peaches

The chicken:
1 fryer, cut up (with all external fat removed)
1/4 teaspoon mace
1/8 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

The sauce:
1 cup peaches
1/8 cup water
1/4 cup brandy
1 teaspoon almond extract

Place the chicken in a baking dish, skin side up. Sprinkle the chicken with mace, thyme and black pepper. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and pour off the fat.

To make the sauce, put the peaches and any peach juice in a saucepan. Add the water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add more water if needed. Remove from the heat and add the brandy and the almond extract.

Pour 25% of the sauce over the chicken. Return the chicken to the oven and bake 30 minutes more.

Warm the remaining sauce. Remove the chicken from the pan immediately. Put the chicken on a serving dish and douse with the remaining sauce
Old 01-21-2005, 06:26 PM   #14
Sous Chef

okay thanks for all that. I'll try to post the Emeril recipe if I can find it.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:32 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Rainee to the rescue!!!!!!!! Those are some great looking recipes too - especially the bleu cheese ball!!!!!!! YUM Thanks for posting these.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 06:37 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
rainee omg you're posting some awesome recipes today.
i'm drooling. thank you :D
Old 01-24-2005, 05:22 PM   #17
Sous Chef

I tried rainee's recipe for the chicken and it really came out well.

I made a few changes. I browned the chicken to start in order to save time on the baking step. Seemed to work.

I seasoned the chicken w/ salt and pepper before browning. The recipe does not say what cuisine it is from so it makes it hard to figure. Italian cooking calls for this step along with searing so....

I browned it with onions and sweet peppers seemed to go well with sweetness.

I didnt have mace so I used cloves. I saw the nutmeg in my shelf and said "Hmm maybe but no..." Ginger might work. Hmmm.

The sauce step did not say what is supposed to happen or for how long. I figured it was for half an hour but the recipe should specificy. ALso what is supposed to happen here; is there supposed to be a reduction? no sugar? no vinegar?

It came out of the oven well. I saved probably 30 minutes by browning. I garnished with black olives and raisens. If you had sultanas or currants this might be better than the old store bought raisens I had on hand.

Again if I knew what region this dish is from I might have gone differently. Meditteranean? French? I might have thought of toasted sesame seeds, or perhaps figs or....

Also I noticed a pinch of salt on the plated product brought out the cloves which in turn brought out the sublties of brandy. Which in turn highlighted the sweetness. So a pinch of salt and pepper when finished.

Thoughts?
Old 01-24-2005, 11:20 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Oh I found the chef Emeril recipe w/ Calavados, it is a pepper corn sauce for pork chops etc.

He takes: shallots and peppercorns and sautee's them in a pan, then he adds Calvados (an apple brandy) and lights it on fire. I knew I liked this...

Then he adds a mustard, garlic and some creme and makes it some sort of reduction. Pour over pork chops.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:11 AM   #19
Executive Chef

That chicken recipe was developed by someone from Texas.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:56 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Okay that helps. Thanks a lot for all your input.

Hey what about the sauce? Is it supposed to be reduced? For how long?