"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-29-2005, 02:27 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

rub a mix of cracked black pepper and allspice, sea salt, onion and garlic powder on thick pork chops, grill, and top with pickled hot banana pepper rings (or your favorite pickled hot pepper), and a splash of the brine. serve with fried sweet plantains and spanish rice.

voila, buckytom's dirty pork chop platter...

waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 03:04 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
A safe rule to go by when choosing your peppers is the bigger the pepper, the more mild it will be, and vice versa for the smaller a pepper is.
And while we are at it... Peppers turn green to red or yellow as they mature (this is a generalization but it covers a LOT of them) and this means spicy to sweet. If you ever see a red or yellow jalapeno for instance (rare in the US) go ahead and bite into it for a sweet and spicy treat.

Old 03-29-2005, 04:05 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Here's a recipe I got from Chris Schlesinger's Thrill of the Grill. I've never made it, but it sounds interesting. A Carribbean spinoff of a Fettuccini Alfredo.

Pasta from ****

2 T olive oil
1 yellow onion, small dice
1 red bell pepper, small dice
2 bananas, sliced
¼ c pineapple juice
juice of 3 oranges
4 T lime juice (about 2 limes)
¼ c chopped cilantro
3 – 4 T finely chopped HOT chiles (habanero or Scotch Bonnet)
about ¼ c grated Parmesan cheese
2 t butter
1 # fettuccine, cooked al dente
salt and cracked black pepper to taste

In a large saucepan, heat the oil and sauté the onion and red bell pepper over medium heat for about 4 minutes. Add the bananas, pineapple juice, and orange juice. Simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes, until bananas are soft. Remove from heat, add the lime juice, cilantro, chile peppers, and 3 T of the parmesan cheese; mix well. Add the pasta to the mixture, and the remaining butter. Season to taste with the salt and pepper and garnish with the parmesan cheese.
Old 03-29-2005, 05:56 PM   #14
Executive Chef

You can always cut the tops off of a bell pepper remove all the seeds and membrane.

And put inside the pepper a mix of Hamburger, rice, egg, and tomato sacue.

Now you have a stuffed pepper.

You can also stuff the stuffed pepper with some hot peppers for a spicy kick.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:32 AM   #15
Head Chef

We usually can sweet and spicy peppers towards the end of the year out of our garden.

We take a big batch of peppers (No bells, but I guess you could use them), usually a mix of various hot peppers, whatever we had planted, and cut them into slices.
Fill up the jars and add bread and butter pickle brine.

Seal 'em up, and in about a week they are good to go.
Some jars do get hotter than others, depending on what mix of peppers got put in there...

John
Old 03-30-2005, 05:55 PM   #16
Executive Chef

hot peppers and chocolate go together.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:09 PM   #17
Certified Executive Chef

MLB good question. When ever I use peppers, regardless of which ones they are, the yellow or orange bell type, or the spicy ones like pasilla, anaheim (I am somewhat of a wimp with the heat department, habanero I have never tried, its like #10 on a scale of 1-12, scotch bonnets being the hotest, i like level 4-5). Back to the point, I always roast them first, gives a better depth of flavor. You can leave them whole or de-seed and cut into quarters. I usually toss lightly with EVOO and then when they cool to the touch, the skins rub off easily. If I had my BBQ back that would be the perfect place to grill them,
Old 03-31-2005, 12:28 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by norgeskog
habanero I have never tried, its like #10 on a scale of 1-12, scotch bonnets being the hotest, i like level 4-5).
Just a quick note, on average habarneros are considered hotter than scotch bonnets by a slight margin. And red savina habs are, in fact, the hottest pepper on the face of the earth. That accounts for my literally blistered mouth. Habarneros and Scotch Bonnets are not the same, but close cousins along, with their milder relative the Datil.

I agree very much with your suggestion of roasting most peppers, although roasting IMO takes away much of the wonderful fruity, tropical taste of habs and scotch bonnets.

Here's More:

Varieties

The basic varieties of the chinense species are as follows. (To put the heat scale in perspective, ratings of a jalapeño range from 3,000 to 8,000 Scoville Units.)
  • Orange habaneros are perhaps the most common and are originally from the Yucatán Peninsula. They are grown commercially in California and Texas, and in home gardens all over the country. They typically measure 80,000 to 200,000 Scoville Units.
  • Red habaneros are grown commercially in Costa Rica and California. The 'Red Savina' variety from GNS Spices, Inc. is the first member of the species to be awarded a Plant Variety Protection permit from the USDA. 'Red Savina' is also the hottest pepper ever tested, at 577,000 Scoville Units.
  • Datil peppers are a somewhat milder variety with elongated pods that is grown around St. Augustine, Florida. We estimate their heat to be around 40,000 Scoville Units.
  • Scotch bonnets are the typical, tam-shaped chiles of the Caribbean. They are also called booney peppers, bonney peppers, and goat peppers on various islands. They are usually red or yellow at maturity. They are about 100,000 Scoville Units.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:59 PM   #19
Head Chef

Okay i said screw it, and i bought some of these. I have three different types, i think chipotles, and 2 other dried ones, they are pretty small, like 3 inches long....i know they are hot dried peppers, none of them were the bigger milder ones, they are maybe one inch wide, im just goin to make a sauce with them... so the dried peppers how do i prepare them for a sauce? just take out the seeds, stem, and then how do i roast them up? Like in a skillet......
Old 03-31-2005, 06:08 PM   #20
Head Chef

Okay i'll be more specific real quick. I have one little bag of them, maybe about 15 peppers in all, three diff kinds. I want to roast them to make a sauce to cover a chicken and rice dish. So like i throw them in the skillet to cook, but which ingredients do i add along with them to make a sauce? How can i tell when they are done?