Cooking with kids (from scratch!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ezhik

Assistant Cook
Twice a week, my boyfriend and I go and sit with the son of a family friend and help him with his homework etc as his mum works late. I have started cooking dinner with him (to save his mum the trouble when she comes home at eight-thirty) but I'm running out of ideas for easy, cheap and healthy meals, especially as he will not eat soup in any way, shape or form. :rolleyes:

So... any ideas for meals that eleven-year-old boys will enjoy preparing as well as eating?:angel:

Since we live in Russia, it means that it is not cheap or easy to use the common pre-prepared sauces :( (if you can find them, they cost a fortune!) unless they are pre-prepared by me :-p so i tend to have to cook entirely from scratch.:chef:

Thanks a bunch!
Ezhik

I'm just going to toss some ideas out - not knowing what you have tried already:

• club sandwich
  • spaghetti carbonara or alfredo
  • tube pasta, like penne, with some roasted vegetables mixed in, kosher salt, olive oil
    buttered noodles with some cut up sauteed chicken, garlic, and maybe peas
    basic baked chicken and mashed potatoes and some vegetable

I'll try to think of more ideas.

You'll probably get a lot of ideas so I'll send along the first one that comes to my mind.

Roasted potatoes are easy and cheap. I like to use the yukon gold potatoes but you can use whatever you have available. Peel them or not according to your preference, toss in some EVOO, S&P, some rosemary and/or thyme (or whatever herbs you like). I bake in a 400 degree oven for 30 - 45 minutes, turning every 10 minutes or so.

I used to nanny in university holidays so I have done this a lot, both to keep them busy and to get them to experiment in eating ;)

My suggestion is to ask him. Find out what he would love to do and find a recipe for it. The other thing that I found useful in helping kids come up with ideas are really appetising pictures of food -that helps you direct the choice to something YOU want to cook :) or themes: food from around the world (all cooked from scratch), so one day Italy, the next, france, then America...

How about pancakes and macedonia (fresh fruit salad)? I mean, traditional blini maybe a little complicated, but the English version with self rising flour, egg(s), milk and sugar is very quick and simple!! (You can also use some lemon juice, vanilla extract, cinnamon etc. for varied flavour), then maybe you can create an unique topping with smetana, or sour cream!!
It is getting warmer, probably even in Russia, so chances are the selection of fresh fruits may be expanding, too. Have fun!

I really can't help you out with ideas, clueless of what is offered in Russia. Have you tried - Goggle, just put in" Easy russian recipes," many will show up. Good Luck, you and your BF are doing a great thing.

In my experience, kids love risottos. They're easy to eat, nourishing, relatively cheap and you can often get kids to eat vegetables that they otherwise wouldn't try. Spinach risotto is a hit with my nine-year-old nephew, who spurns anything green on his plate! Kids might find risottos a bit tedious to cook, though. You'd have to try it and see.

Sausage and saffron risotto is another good one (break up quality sausages or use good sausage meat or pork mince). Sweat an onion, add the sausage and fry for a few minutes, add the rice to coat with the fat and then continue as per usual for a risotto. For the saffron, you can either just add threads towards the end or soak them in water while you're cooking and then add the threads and the liquid towards the end. I'd season towards the end if you've used sausage meat - it can sometimes be quite salty and peppery.

Use whatever hard, strong-flavoured cheese you can get hold of if Parmesan is impossible to find or too expensive. Ideally, you'd use a proper risotto rice, but I often use round-grain Spanish rice (arroz bomba) if that's all I have and my purse won't run to a bag of the real thing. Proper Italian rice costs around 5 euros a kilo here, arroz bomba 37 cents. So long as it's a starchy rice, you'll be OK.

Apologies to all the proper chefs and Italians here. I once read an interview with a Polish woman long before Poland joined the EU. Her advice applies to me here in Spain, where lots of things are difficult to get hold of or ridiculously expensive. The upshot of her views was: if you haven't got something but it's on your list of ingredients, cook without it if you must, substitute if you can.

My kids have always hated soups, stews, and anything with broth. It is as they feel like they are "fishing" for their food. Children like food that can be consumed quickly and without being "messy".
When I make a soup or stew, we either use a slotted spoon to dish it into a bowl or just strain. I cut the stew meat & veggies in large pieces. With the soup, I cut everything in equal sizes and use a little liquid as needed. With bean based soups, I cook the beans separately and add them fully cooked.
Children are not the biggest fans of bread but they like toasted garlic bread. Making a tomato base dip is not too difficult. Just quarter fresh tomatoes and add enough water to cover. The skins will float to the top and can be skimmed off. (or you can learn to dip in boiling water and peel). Add some dried basil & oregano...etc and enough oil to give it some body. You can also melt some cheese over the toasted bread.
Kids like shrimp. Adding shrimp to fried rice is very good. Children do not like bland foods but they do like baked potatoes fully loaded with toppings.
They like to eat stroganoff. Kids are not too big on salads but they might try a wedge of lettuce on the side. Anything green is voodoo but served in small portions as a garnish and they will try it.
Making flat pasta is easy and can be used immediately. It is only dried for storage. Pizza is also very economical to make and the dough can be yeast based or biscuit quick. Topped with just about anything imaginable.
Breakfast for dinner is always a favorite. Scramble eggs with a side of quick bread (date, cinnamon ...etc) and fruit.
A combination of healthy snacks makes a fun meal too.

Cooking With Kids From Scratch is the name of the cookbook authored by the witch in the Hansel & Gretel story.

Just a couple of questions to help narrow down the suggestions:

1) What foods does he like?

2) What foods do you have available that are within your budget? Canned tuna, ground beef, canned Pork-and-Beans, boxed macaroni and cheese, dried pasta, canned peas, rice, cheese, canned tomatoes, onions, garlic, etc.?

One thing that you are definately doing right is getting him involved in preparing the meal ... kids will sometimes eat things that they helped perpare that they would not otherwise even consider eating.

Last edited:
I agree with Michael about getting your little friend involved in the preparation of the meal. At age 11, he can do some rudimentary chopping along with whipping, stirring, etc.

Also, don't be afraid to get silly. Allow him to tint his milk green or to do other goofy things to his foods. By doing something foolish to his food, he might be more likely to eat something he might not otherwise.

Saute some broccoli and add some peanuts. It's good and can almost be a complete meal.

Use your imagination and think like an 11-year-old.

Who knows? With your encouragement and interest in preparing food, he could be a 4-star chef some day!

What? At 11 a kid is capable of doing some rudimentary cooking?

Heck my mom made most meals and my dad was certainly no slouch in the kitchen, but by eleven I could, probably with the help of my nine year old sister who would not think of being excluded from the enterprise, put a decent meal on the table, thank you.

Our favorite thing was to cook French fries. And in the morning we could put together a mean pancake breakfast. But we could also cook a regular meal, no problem.

And we were just regular kids.

As far a what to prepare in Russia I have no idea.

But I would find out what the kid likes and go with that.

A kid who makes a dish will eat it, rule one of cooking with kids.

Have been thinking of egg dishes today, so one could always make a frittata. You can toss almost anything you have in the fridge or can buy in the market into it. There is the related Spanish tortilla that requires basically eggs and potatoes, and it is very tasty.

Or toss in some bacon, spnach and mushrooms into scrambled eggs. Or use any combination of foods you have available.

Getting away from the the egg idea, blinis, crepes, however you call the stuff. You can make many dishes with those, and crepes are fun to make, particularlly for a kid.

Have always found the best way to deal with kids who are not yours is to treat them with respect, but always maintaining the attitude that you are the adult.

Maintaining oneself as an adult gives a kid the idea, justified or not, that you actually know something. I usually fake that part.

To get back to the issue of food. Make tortillas, the Mexican variety. Nothing could be easier. And fill with whatever you have.

Just a few ideas. Am sure you will do just fine.

My grandkids like grilled cheese sandwiches, raw carrots, broccoli, etc., Also macaroni and cheese. Green beans, corn. Spaghetti plain with butter and parmesan cheese. Sometimes I just lay out an assortment for cold cut sandwiches and the fixings and tell them to go for it and make their own. The deal is though: whatever you build, you have to eat it all. They love it, have fun doing it and usually eat real good. I don't know if this will help or not. Good luck. I am sure being eleven you will be able to communicate well and work it out. :rolleyes:

How about pizza muffins and a green salad or fruit salad?

The pizza muffins are very easy. Just a split English muffin in half. Then top each half with some pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, and any toppings that they like that would be on a pizza. We like to sprinkle a little Parmesan cheese on top but that just a preference. Bake at 350 Degrees F for about 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Most kids I know love pizza! Serve that with a salad and it's quite nice.

I make this with our 6 year old grand daughter.
Pizza dough ( Children like to make dough etc)
a good recipe for pizza dough,
, 2 level teasp. dried yeast
1 teasp sugar
350g (12oz) strong white bread flour
3 tablespoons olive oil
salt
Dissolve the yeast and sugar in 8fl oz(225ml) tepid water. ( Use less water and only add the 8 fl oz if needed) Stir well, and leave aside until frothy, about 10 minutes. Sieve flour and salt into large bowl, add yeast mixture and olive oil; mix until it forms a firm dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface for five minutes until smooth and elastic. Put into lightly oiled bowl and leave in a warm place until doubled in size. Knock back, divide into 2 portions, roll into circles, or make 4 smaller circles and freeze for another time. Bake in a preheated oven (240C,475F, gas 9) for 15 - 20 minutes until golden.
Have with the topping of your choice. Whatever takes your fancy.:chef:

How about:

RICE WAFFLES

Rice waffles offer an excellent means of utilizing left-over rice. Such waffles are prepared in about the same way as the waffles just mentioned. In working the cooked rice into the dry ingredients, use should be made of a light motion that will not crush the grains, but will separate them from one another. Left-over cereals other than rice may also be used in this way.
RICE WAFFLES

(Sufficient to Serve Six)
1-3/4 c. flour
2 Tb. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 c. cooked rice
1-1/2 c. milk
1 egg
1 Tb. melted fat

Mix and sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, and then work the rice into the dry ingredients. Add the milk and the well-beaten yolk of egg. Stir in the melted fat. Beat the egg white stiff, and fold it into the batter.

Sounds good?

Cheers,
RICE WAFFLES

csalt said:
I make this with our 6 year old grand daughter.
Pizza dough ( Children like to make dough etc)
a good recipe for pizza dough,
, 2 level teasp. dried yeast
1 teasp sugar
350g (12oz) strong white bread flour
3 tablespoons olive oil
salt
Dissolve the yeast and sugar in 8fl oz(225ml) tepid water. ( Use less water and only add the 8 fl oz if needed) Stir well, and leave aside until frothy, about 10 minutes. Sieve flour and salt into large bowl, add yeast mixture and olive oil; mix until it forms a firm dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface for five minutes until smooth and elastic. Put into lightly oiled bowl and leave in a warm place until doubled in size. Knock back, divide into 2 portions, roll into circles, or make 4 smaller circles and freeze for another time. Bake in a preheated oven (240C,475F, gas 9) for 15 - 20 minutes until golden.
Have with the topping of your choice. Whatever takes your fancy.:chef:

I used to make pizza from scratch with my kids and my grandkids. Let them get right into kneading the dough...they love it.
I usually got the toppings together ahead of time, then let the kids "decorate" the pizza.
As for toppings, your imagination is the limit. You can make a simple tomato sauce, or leave it out and just use olive oil for a White Pizza.
I've seen pizzas made with potatoes, onions and cheese, so just use what you can get your hands on that sounds good to you.
If you can't get mozzerella or parmesan cheee, use any cheese you can get. It may not be traditional, but it will be tasty, and your kids can say they invented a new pizza!

Most of all...have fun. Whatever the pizza turns out like, the children will always remember these times spent with you.

I doubt there is any reason to post in the thread, it is old, and the original poster hasn't showed up any more. One thing I have to say, I wish somebody come to my home and cooked before I come home at 8:30.

As a child, I was big into baking, as it was fun to see a sloppy goop materialize into a fluffy, delicious end product.

My mom also did a lot of roasting with me, as it didn't involve my being literally overtop of a searing hot pan. It was easy to prep, then you put it in, smell it, and it's done. It takes time though, obviously.

Here is the list of receipes that I teach to children who are 10 and 11.

Shortbread
Scones
Carrot Cake with Lemon Frosting
Chicken and Corn Casserole
Sausage Whirligigs
Spaghetti Bolognaise
Brownies
Jiffy Pizza
Angel Delight Pie
Chicken fillets with Mango Chutney and Apricot
Bramley Berry Bake
Tuna fish Bake
Spicy Sausage Ragout
Fruit crumble
Golden Shepherds Pie

If you want any of the recipes, please let me know and I will post them.

Back
Top Bottom