Cooking with Mead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

college_cook

Head Chef
Anybody ever cook with this type of wine? I used to deglaze a pan tonight, and it really brought this refreshing sweetness in my vegetables. Wanted to know if anyone else has done this, and what they thought of mead as a cooking wine?

Hmm, cooked steaks with Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot before but never with honey wine. I bet Mead would taste great with pork and poultry.

Have a couple of bottles of mead in the cupboard but the guys who used to make it are o longer in business so we have no source of the stuff.

But we love it and yes it is good in cooking.

Also use cider (alcholic) and it works very well when you want a sweet flavor.

mead is a ni e change from marsala and sweet sherry in many recipes...and is wonderful in many fruit dishes. try spiced peaches ... cloves and cinamon (whole) cooked with mead and your peaches...wow ... over fresh ice cream! yum

wow, those peaches sound incredible... i'll definitely have to check that out... I have all of this mead thats so sweet to drink, so I think the best way for me to use it in food

college_cook said:
Anybody ever cook with this type of wine? I used to deglaze a pan tonight, and it really brought this refreshing sweetness in my vegetables. Wanted to know if anyone else has done this, and what they thought of mead as a cooking wine?

We have just returned from England with a load of Mead. If you have any success with recipes for cooking with mead, please post or email me at pinoak.jones@verizon.net. Thanks. Chris

Depending on the quality, when reduced to a syrup, it goes great on fruits and light desserts. IT can also make a neat sorbet, or granita.

Back
Top Bottom