"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-25-2006, 08:41 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A
Okay, I'm going to be a little light hearted here. Seph, you're in NC and you don't eat fried foods??? You know the food police will be pounding on your door VERY SOON after that revelation!

Ciao,
I moved here from Southern California 2 and a half years ago and was shocked how much stuff they fry here. Women fry frozen chicken nuggests. We always baked those in Cali.

I tried again last night and the disaster level was the opposite. I dredged everything first, got the oil to temp and when I added the onions the oil got so cold it took too long for them to cook and the batter was tough. Good but tough. Then again, it was a Rachel Ray recipe and my luck with her stuff now stands at 1 win about a dozen losses.

I did check out fryers and electric skillets last night. I'll definitely be purchasing something in the next month. Thanks for all the help.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:01 AM   #12
Head Chef

I bought a fry Daddy years ago and still use it and it works great. We don't deep fry real often but enough. It's great for small amounts that you want to deep fry. I don't care to deepfry in a pan on the stove burner. Heat never seems to stay at the right temp.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:22 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
We recently purchased a fryer as well, although we are not regular fried food eaters either but do enjoy them on occasions, and this wonderful gadget quickly let us know that we made a right choice upon our first try on stuffed zucchini flowers. The components can be separated so cleaning is fairly easy, too. Ours is a German product (maker called bifinett) and cost was like 40, and it is very similar to the one of Caine. I definitely recommend you to get one, you will be glad of the investment
Old 08-25-2006, 11:23 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I like to use my heavy 8qt stock pot (and it is heavy metal not thin stuff) and fill it no more than half way up. Food has plenty of room to fry, and a safe distance for oil to move and bubble. I use a thermometer. I don't deep fry enough to warrent a fryolator, and it's easy to let the oil cool, and pour it through cheese cloth back into the bottle for the next time. Potatoes, chicken, fish, recycle.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:44 AM   #15
Master Chef

My husband does the deep-frying, because I'm leary of hot oil. I had a grease fire when I was first learning to cook, and although I got it put out without any damage to my kitchen, it scared me to death!

But I've had great luck frying in my electric skillet. It's deep enough to hold 1-1/2" of oil, which is plenty for pan-frying. I can set the temperature and know it won't over-heat, and I know the oil is the right temp when the light goes off.