Cooking with roaster oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

albert01

Assistant Cook
I currently don't have a stove or regular oven and decided to cook food using a roaster oven. I haven't ever used a roaster oven in the past and recently purchased a 18 Quart Nesco with convection fan and another older 18 quart used roaster oven.

I have some frozen turkeys and chickens I would like to cook up. After reading several articles I found frozen poultry can be cooked in a roaster oven only you need to pay attention to the length of cooking time as frozen poultry cooks different from thawed. I.e. starting from the outside inward.

IIRC, certain outer parts of a turkey such as the neck and breasts take longer to cook. Total cooking time is longer than when cooking a thawed turkey by iirc ~2 to ~3+ hours, depending on the size of the turkey.

Overall everything seems simple enough however I would also like to cook vegetables including potatoes at the same time.

I'm thinking if there's not enough room in the roaster's cooking pan with a turkey or chickens, of using a second roaster oven to cook the vegetables I'm wondering if there are any methods for cooking vegetables by them selves in a roaster oven and/or along with e.g. a turkey or 2 or 3 chickens.

Would it be better to wrap the vegetables and potatoes in aluminum foil? Allow them cook unwapped, etc. I thin something will be needed to hold the vegetables if using a directly from the roaster rack. I read something you can place a certain amount of water in the roaster pan cooking vegetable directly from the bottom of the pan.

I'm sort of new to this type of cooking, in the past mostly cooked using covered and uncovered pots, pans, glass bowls, etc.

I don't think the vegetable will take nearly as long to cook so I would need to add them after a while to a cooking turkey or start them later if using a second roaster oven.

I'm not certain what temperature to set the roaster oven to cook a turkey or 2 or 3 chickens. Perhaps start a 450 or 425 deg. F and then reduce oven temperature to 325 or 350 after a while?

I have one of those meat thermometers laying around somewhere I think the turkey requires to be at least 165 deg. F internally?

18 qt older Nesco radiates heat only from the sides including the corners, not from the bottom. I thought I should mention that to you. I use one for making cheese and for cooking down large quantities of tomatoes during canning season.

I've never cooked a turkey or chicken in one, though I can't see why not.

You don't have a manual for it? If not, you can print one out. http://www.nesco.com/files/pdf/18qt.pdf
I wouldn't attempt to cook frozen turkey or chicken in it myself.
I have a 6qt. Nesco Roaster I love, but I've no experience with an 18 qt.

Here's some recipes that might be helpful...
NESCO®: Roaster Ovens | Dehydrators | Small Appliances | Jerky Spices Nesco

Ok thanks for the links.

I could thaw out the turkey however I think in order to thaw a turkey you need to use a refrigerator or cold water which creates a thawing time of approx. 30 minutes or longer per pound.

I'm currently interested in cooking the turkey frozen to see how it turns out.

Cooking experts say cooking a frozen turkey is no problem. There are differences when cooking, but cooking a frozen turkey potentially comes out nearly as good as cooking a thawed turkey.

My previous question is also concerned with cooking other items such as vegetables, potatoes, etc. along with a turkey (other poultry, pork, ham, beef roast, etc.) in a roaster oven.

I may eventually install a gas brick stove, but this may take a while to build and install, so I'm currently concentrating on cooking with the roaster ovens.

18 qt older Nesco radiates heat only from the sides including the corners, not from the bottom. I thought I should mention that to you. I use one for making cheese and for cooking down large quantities of tomatoes during canning season.

I've never cooked a turkey or chicken in one, though I can't see why not.

Yes, I read that somewhere before purchasing the roaster ovens. I think one purpose heating from the sides is to circulate the heat better so food cook more thoroughly and doesn't become burnt and dried out from heat rising only in only one direction, from the bottom. I believe most roaster ovens have no bottom heating element. Perhaps some older ones did, electric roaster ovens date back a ways in the 20 century. I think more recently have made a comeback in popularity.

The Nesco 18 quart roaster oven has a removable fan that fit's on the top which is suppose to circulate heat better, creating a convection type of heat and lowering cooking times.

If you cook a frozen turkey, how do you get the neck and giblets out before cooking?

I was wondering the same thing.

I was faced with that problem once. I was inpatient (as usual) and gave it all I had in trying to pull the packet out. I finally gave up and ran the cold water into the cavity continuously until it had loosened enough to pull the whole packet out. I then was able to put it in a pan to make the broth that was going to moisten the stuffing.

I based my actions on the theory of placing the bird in cold water to thaw it quicker. But I let the bird just thaw in its own time.

I could thaw out the turkey however I think in order to thaw a turkey you need to use a refrigerator or cold water which creates a thawing time of approx. 30 minutes or longer per pound.

I'm currently interested in cooking the turkey frozen to see how it turns out.

Cooking experts say cooking a frozen turkey is no problem. There are differences when cooking, but cooking a frozen turkey potentially comes out nearly as good as cooking a thawed turkey.
Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

Which cooking experts are those? Everything I have read about cooking poultry advises thawing completely before cooking. Otherwise, as the exterior thaws and cooks, the interior is spending way too much time in the "danger zone" - between 40 and 140 degrees F, where pathogens grow the fastest. You might be incubating salmonella in there.

Which cooking experts are those? Everything I have read about cooking poultry advises thawing completely before cooking. Otherwise, as the exterior thaws and cooks, the interior is spending way too much time in the "danger zone" - between 40 and 140 degrees F, where pathogens grow the fastest. You might be incubating salmonella in there.

+1^ and as was mentioned, the frozen bag of giblets inside.

+ What GG stated.

Sounds like you are wanting a trip to the hospital. Just too dangerous. And an expensive way to just try an experiment. Leave the experiments to the scientist that know what they are doing. The cost of the turkey and the trip to the ER is an experiment that is just too costly. That is if you make it home from the hospital to pay that bill. I hope you have really good medical coverage.

Yeah, there was some discussion about pathogens and salmonella. There are a few pros and cons cooking frozen or thawed.

Here are a couple articles out of I came across and read while searching for "cooking a frozen turkey".

How to Cook a Completely Frozen Turkey for Thanksgiving | Kitchn

Can You Cook a Frozen Turkey Without Thawing It First? | StillTasty.com - Your Ultimate Shelf Life Guide

According to the US Dept. of Agriculture one can roast a frozen turkey in the oven without defrosting it first, says the U.S. Department of Agriculture. You shouldn't grill, smoke, deep-fry or microwave a frozen turkey.

Using a roaster oven is ok from a frozen state but grilling, smoking, deep-fry or microwave is not.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/porta...PI_42y0I64-EnFzeFRvN9FYyjvD6uBiz4APqQaIg!!/#8

Some benefits cooking frozen turkey from one article.

"If one thaws a turkey in a home refrigerator, there is a significant risk of raw juice with pathogens at high levels getting on refrigerator surfaces, other foods in the refrigerator, countertops, and sink, thus creating a hazard and a need for extensive cleaning and sanitizing.

The second benefit is that, because the breast has greater mass, it takes longer to thaw. Therefore, the thigh and leg are well cooked and tender, while the breast is not overcooked and dried out. The breast will cook to a juicy 160-to-165ºF endpoint without difficulty."

If you cook a frozen turkey, how do you get the neck and giblets out before cooking?

I'm not certain as I've never cooked a frozen turkey. I think you may need to wait a while after the turkey has warmed up after setting the oven to 425 - 450 then pull it out, possibly with pliers or somehow heat the area up containing the neck and giblets and pry them out? I don't know I might try using my heat gun as it warms small areas up very quickly. But you could probably try heating a metal rod, knife, etc.

I have large Bowie knife I use to cook sometimes, usually when outdoors but it has been used for cooking a few times a while indoors. Possibly could heat up a knife or large utensil, etc. stick in an specific area to loosen up the neck and giblets?

Trying to cook a frozen turkey in a roaster is just asking for trouble. You will probably either waste the turkey, or get food poisoning, or both. Just thaw the turkey in the sink.

Iowa state university recommends cooking turkeys under 15 lbs, from frozen.
I think it is great that people here really care about other's safety, but, it is overstating food poisoning risk in some of the responses.

https://www.upi.com/Roasting-frozen-turkey-is-actually-safer/86761353110078/

I also read that it is recommended to always cook a prestuffed turkey from frozen, as thawing them makes it more dangerous.
I'm open to learning more about a topic and if I'm wrong about this, great [emoji2] Since it's usually just me and DH for Thanksgiving, I get the smallest turkey I can find - generally between 12-13 pounds. It would certainly be easier to cook a frozen turkey directly from the freezer, rather than having to thaw it first.

I'm not certain as I've never cooked a frozen turkey. I think you may need to wait a while after the turkey has warmed up after setting the oven to 425 - 450 then pull it out, possibly with pliers or somehow heat the area up containing the neck and giblets and pry them out? I don't know I might try using my heat gun as it warms small areas up very quickly. But you could probably try heating a metal rod, knife, etc.

I have large Bowie knife I use to cook sometimes, usually when outdoors but it has been used for cooking a few times a while indoors. Possibly could heat up a knife or large utensil, etc. stick in an specific area to loosen up the neck and giblets?

Are you serious?:angel:

Are you serious?:angel:

I'm not certain what you mean by serious?

Serious - (of a subject, state, or activity) demanding careful consideration or application.

I'm trying to be sincere and currently in a state of consideration but haven't come to any conclusions.

Agriculture has been around from ~10,000 to ~15,000 years. Cooking has been around much longer.

Ok thanks for the links.

My previous question is also concerned with cooking other items such as vegetables, potatoes, etc. along with a turkey (other poultry, pork, ham, beef roast, etc.) in a roaster oven.

This recipe answers your question from Nesco. Just double the recipe for the 18 qt. roaster..

Roaster Oven Sunday Dinner - 6Qt. Roaster

5 medium russet [baking] potatoes
2 cups baby carrots
1 cup celery, chopped
1 whole roasting chicken [4½ to 5 lbs]
2 tsp garlic, minced
1½ tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1½ tsp ground sage
1 tsp oregano leaves, whole
1/2 tsp Thyme leaves, whole

Cube unpeeled potatoes into 1" pieces. Place in Nesco® Roaster cookwell. Put carrots evenly across potatoes.

Remove exterior wrap from chicken. Remove any parts stored in cavity. Use for gravy or discard. Rinse chicken thoroughly inside and out. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper in cavity. Place chicken in cookwell on top of potatoes and carrots. Rub chicken with garlic.

Sprinkle remaining salt and pepper over chicken. Then sprinkle sage, oregano and thyme over chicken. Cover roaster with lid and cook on 250ºF for 6 hours. Chicken will be very moist and juicy. DO NOT add any liquid to roaster. The vegetables and chicken will produce plenty of liquid to prepare a wonderful gravy.

This is a Sunday Dinner for any day of the week!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom