"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-27-2010, 07:42 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Everyone has been very helpful. It is a scary but, exciting thought of stepping out of my cooking comfort zone into a cuisine that I am unfamiliar with. Here in West Virginia we have a winery and they have some excellent wines. I believe I will take a look at their website and see if I can find a nice white wine to use. If not everyone here has given me some excellent choices and I am sure that I will be able to obtain help once I am in the wine store if I need it.

Thanks so much.

Now one more question. I know some wines need to breathe before being served. Is this still true if you use a wine that needs to breathe in your cooking? Can you go ahead and use it once the cork is popped or do you need to let it sit and breathe before adding it to your dish? Oh and once you have let a wine breathe does that mean if you serve the same wine from that bottle a few days later that you need to let it breathe again? Or does a wine only need to breathe once?

Old 05-28-2010, 02:32 AM   #12
Cook

Haven't really tried cooking with wine because I am not really that good in cooking. Just starting to learn to cook some really good meals but I want to take it one at a time. Will consider some menu with wine in the future!

Old 05-28-2010, 08:08 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I make no claims to be any kind of expert, but simply opening a bottle of wine is not the same as decanting it or pouring it into a glass.. Letting a wine breathe is another term for aeration of the wine. If you open a bottle of wine and let it come to room temperature. the temperature change will allow the aroma and flavor to develop. Have you ever noticed that cheese at room temperature has a much better flavor than cheese straight out of the refrigerator? The same principle applies to wine.
Decanting wine means to pour it from the bottle into another container. This allows air to combine with the wine.
I am sure that someone will be along shortly with a better explanation of all this. There are many quite knowledgeable folks here and ,by the way,...Welcome to DC!!
Old 05-28-2010, 10:08 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

For anyone who really doesn't drink wine, but wants to use it in a recipe, I have some advice. I found that the local wine store (I live in NJ) sells 4 packs of 1 pint bottles of Sutter Home brand. I can use what I need and won't waste the rest.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Mel, you should read all the posts (here and in other threads on the subject)
No need for making demanding comments like this one. They are likely to put a person off reading posts and threads here.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:36 AM   #16
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
The only thing I would add to all of the above, (as you learn which wines you like and which you don't care for,) is to use a wine that you like to drink. I highly recommend Duplin wines. They are made in NC (I try to support the local economies as much as I can), they have a decent variety and they are pleasant to drink.
I use their scuppernong wines in a variety of dishes and have no complaints. They are also reasonably priced...$7-8 for a bottle.
I hope that you will have an extraordinarily good time as you explore the world of wine.
I've had some really good North Carolina wines, so when a friend gave me a bottle (of a local grape variety I was unfamiliar with) I expected more than I got. However, since I felt it too sweet to go with savories, I used the bottle as the basis for a pear poaching liquid. One of the best poached pears I've ever made!
Old 05-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

I believe the next time I am in the store I will look and see if they offer the Sutter Home 4 pack or maybe another company has something like this. This would be perfect to purchase and use. I imagine I could also use the wine to make spritzers with if need be.

Since my husband has an alcohol allergy and can only consume small amounts of wine (usually just a couple of inches in a glass) his bottle of wine goes bad more quickly than mine. This would be a nice alternative to purchase instead of two full sized bottles. I don't like his wine and although he likes my wine his just doesn't get drank quickly enough. Especially since he has went to 120 hours a week at work. This is a great suggestion. Thanks for the info.