"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-23-2011, 03:09 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Oh wow. So much information! Thanks so much!

So I guess I better ditch my Shop Rite brand Paprika then! lol

Looking back on things, I think my main concern that got me overwhelmed was just not knowing a lot of dishes to make. I was browsing this site and links came across some good recipes. I think my plan for the moment is to start making a bunch of well known recipes and learn through that. I came up with a nice plan for the week and in doing so, had to buy things I've never bought before like green onion, capers, shallots, peppers, cucumber, heavy cream. I also bought lard, but should I really use it? I hear its terrible for you but tastes so good!

Saturday: Olive Garden's Chicken Crostini w/ linguini
Sunday: Hibachi Steak and Fried rice
Monday: Chicken a La King
Tuesday: Chicken Cacciatore
Wednesday: Beef bourbon over rice
Thursday: Pollo Tesoro

I was soo excited when Saturday's dinner turned out extremely well!! As you can see, I have mostly chicken dishes because that is the easiest things I can find. Does anyone have any suggestions of good beef dishes I can try? I have 4 lbs of round beef roast in my freezer that I would like to use haha. I also bought pork tenderloin and don't know what dish to make with that either!

For the wines, I definitely need to buy another good red wine and I don't think I'll use much sherry. I didn't really like the taste of it. The Riesling was delicious though I'll give the Vermouth a try as well!

I'll definitely look into the Egullet.com

Yes, I really need to learn how to make stock cause currently I just use chicken broth instead. Can I make stock and freeze it for a while? I assume that I would be able to.

What is the difference between olive oil, virgin olive oil, vege oil, canola oil and when would you use one over the other?

Also, sea salt or normal salt? Difference? I have both.

I also have a 365 chicken recipe book that I think I should just go through and make just about everyone! I plan on taking all the good recipes that I make from anywhere and make my own recipe book to document things that I love! This is going to be really exciting! I feel like it takes forever to get to dinner and that there isn't enough time to cook everything!! :)

Thanks so much, guys!

:)

Old 01-25-2011, 10:06 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

i guess i can really sum it all up by saying that it all comes down to trial and error. practice, practice, practice. taste an ingredient before you cook it. smell is a key factor in taste as well; that goes for wine as well. don't expect to figure it all our overnight and keep mental notes of everything and build off of that. good luck!

Old 01-26-2011, 06:43 AM   #13
Head Chef

My only practical suggestion would be to try and do less cooking. haha What I mean is there is no need to go through seven huge dinner productions each week (unless, of course, you have unlimited energy, time and money) but instead try to cook "big" a couple times a week and cook smart the other nights. =P

e.g. Figure out how to roast a perfect chicken! There's one great meal when you add some veggies to the roasting pan and have a salad on the side.

Remove the uneaten meat from the bones. Use the carcass to make stock in your crock pot (foolproof and delicious). Figure out what combination of vegetables you like best in your stock via trial and error.

Next night have quesadillas or chicken fried rice or BBQ chicken pizza. Making something like that lets you work on perfecting your rice- or dough-making skills.

Night after that use the stock and whatever chicken you have left to make some fantastic tortilla soup or chicken & biscuits. You could make homemade egg noodles to go with your soup.

It's just an idea to think about; but that is really how I try to cook. It's learning to buy a little carton of whipping cream automatically when I buy buttermilk so I can make some creme fraiche. Which means I need to buy sweet potatoes and regular potatoes to make our favorite kind of mashed 'taters using the creme fraiche. Mashed potatoes are the perfect excuse to make ... LOL see!

Best of luck on your cooking adventures. =)

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie1945 View Post
I love to cook with wine but I don't since Hubby is diabetic.

Welcome to DC.

Josie
I'm diabetic and cook with wine ALL the time. My A1C and other numbers are fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupo15 View Post
Oh wow. So much information! Thanks so much!

So I guess I better ditch my Shop Rite brand Paprika then! lol

Looking back on things, I think my main concern that got me overwhelmed was just not knowing a lot of dishes to make. I was browsing this site and links came across some good recipes. I think my plan for the moment is to start making a bunch of well known recipes and learn through that. I came up with a nice plan for the week and in doing so, had to buy things I've never bought before like green onion, capers, shallots, peppers, cucumber, heavy cream. I also bought lard, but should I really use it? I hear its terrible for you but tastes so good!

Saturday: Olive Garden's Chicken Crostini w/ linguini
Sunday: Hibachi Steak and Fried rice
Monday: Chicken a La King
Tuesday: Chicken Cacciatore
Wednesday: Beef bourbon over rice
Thursday: Pollo Tesoro

I was soo excited when Saturday's dinner turned out extremely well!! As you can see, I have mostly chicken dishes because that is the easiest things I can find. Does anyone have any suggestions of good beef dishes I can try? I have 4 lbs of round beef roast in my freezer that I would like to use haha. I also bought pork tenderloin and don't know what dish to make with that either!

For the wines, I definitely need to buy another good red wine and I don't think I'll use much sherry. I didn't really like the taste of it. The Riesling was delicious though I'll give the Vermouth a try as well!

I'll definitely look into the Egullet.com

Yes, I really need to learn how to make stock cause currently I just use chicken broth instead. Can I make stock and freeze it for a while? I assume that I would be able to.

What is the difference between olive oil, virgin olive oil, vege oil, canola oil and when would you use one over the other?

Also, sea salt or normal salt? Difference? I have both.

I also have a 365 chicken recipe book that I think I should just go through and make just about everyone! I plan on taking all the good recipes that I make from anywhere and make my own recipe book to document things that I love! This is going to be really exciting! I feel like it takes forever to get to dinner and that there isn't enough time to cook everything!! :)

Thanks so much, guys!

:)
Welcome!! I also shop at Shop-Rite. Are you in the NJ/NYC area?
Old 01-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Grew up in S jersey, undergrad in N jersey, grad in CT. haha didn't realize Shop Rite wasn't a universal place. silly me

Tags
cook, cooking, wine