"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2019, 05:16 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I've thought of those emergency kits and had been looking at them online. The only thing I see that might not work is that there are a few things I really don't like and then I'm paying for something I know I won't eat. Plus, there's the problem of where to store them if I can't afford to put a shed on the lot right away.

At one time, some of the companies had canned bacon (delicious, but expensive) and I used to use that when I went stargazing. I haven't seen that for a long time, though. I've also eaten the dried eggs and even a dried cheesecake and both were good. A lot of it comes down to cost, though. I could probably buy or make a regular large cheesecake and me being me, it wouldn't be around long enough to go bad. It'll be like "Cheesecake! It's what's for breakfast!"

The story behind this is simply that I have no credit (I've pretty much been on a cash only basis for the last 11 years or so) and even if I was able to get a loan, I don't want to be under that yoke at my age. So when the back pay for my disability came in, I bought a lot with water on it.

Now I'm just adding the rest of the accoutrements as I go: electric next year, septic maybe 18 months after that, and 3 years later, maybe a small mobile home to live in. Meantime, I'll be planting fruit trees and trying to get a small garden going.

The guy who is in charge of the water has offered to take down the remaining pine trees for the lumber and will cut me a special deal on taking the stumps out. Of course, all the trees can't be taken down at first because I need to still be somewhat out of sight. The rest of them are trees surrounded by trees, though, so they can go.

I'll stick a mailbox out in front and arrange garbage service - I figure if those guys come by and see an address out there, they aren't going to question whether it's there legally or not. Of course, the mailbox is a dead giveaway someone is there, but again, I'm legally allowed there 6 months of the year, so it shouldn't look too weird.

I may or may not be allowed to use a composting toilet. If I'm told I can't, then I can rent a port-a-potty. I've already looked into pricing on that.

It's an ambitious plan or a stupid plan. I won't know until 5 years from now and see where I am. It's a complete gamble because anything can derail it, like me getting sick or maybe getting kicked off the lot, or something else.

I'm in subsidized housing right now and to be honest, I can't wait to get out of here. I rent a room with a kitchenette and a shared bath. The person who shares the bath with me is so filthy, believe me, that I'm ecstatic to think of sitting on my own toilet that I can keep clean, even if it is a composting toilet in a tool shed. I'm so tired of the noise here and walking into a wall of cigarette smoke if I go outside. And I want to get a pet again. I've had cats, dogs, mice, parakeets, etc since I was a child and I miss having an animal so much.

So there's lots of reasons I want to do this.
Thank you for taking the time to type all of that out. I appreciate it.

I don't blame you for wanting to get out of where you are now.

I've had mice and birds too, as well as rats. I hope you get the pets you want :)

Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:38 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Yeah, thanks explaining all that. I now have a better picture of your situation.
I can see the limitations of living out of a shed as far as restrictions go with the city or county. But if you got a used cargo trailer, for instance, you can go long term, I'm sure. Anything on wheels, such as a tiny house don't require permits, and I think you can live in it as long as you want.

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:08 PM   #13
Master Chef

Thank you, RR! I knew a little about your plans from what you had posted last year. It sounds like a real adventure and makes me realize how much 'stuff' we can do without. Best wishes to you, and keep us posted when you can! I really enjoy your updates.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:49 PM   #14
Senior Cook

You might be able to find info on propane refrigeration on some Amish websites. They have traditionally used these, in their non-electric dwellings.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:23 PM   #15
Master Chef

Good for you! Just do it.

I was part of the back to the land movement of the 1970's and loved it. Lived that life until recently.

We built our own composting toilet. From what I have read, it worked much better than the store bought composting toilets. It was a two story structure. Like an outhouse above a cement block holding structure.

https://www.amazon.com/Toilet-Papers...s=books&sr=1-5

Good luck!
Old 03-03-2019, 09:20 AM   #16
Sous Chef

If you buy a camper trailer you will likely have a gas fridge. Solar is very expensive. A small generator would be a good idea. Just in case of emergency.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:52 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
A friend on another forum uses a very small ice chest size propane refrigerator that he salvaged from an old camping trailer. He says a five-gallon tank of propane lasts about a month and cost approx. 25 cents a day to operate.

I was wondering about your source of water. You might be able to rig up a sort of cold box that would keep foods cool using water as the cooling/insulation.

You could look at a combination of strategies and not just one. On days when you go to town buy a bag of ice and small amounts of fresh food that you can use within 2 or 3 days. Switch to canned foods for 2 or 3 days and then head back to town.

Good luck!
There's already water on the site. Now I Just have to bring it up into an outside freestanding faucet and connect. It will be $800 for the faucet and another $800 to connect to the water supply. If I get a trailer that has a sink in it, I'm wondering if I can connect the water directly to the trailer. That will cost extra because I still need an outdoor faucet for the garden hose.

I was thinking of eating that way. It sure will be a change, though. And maybe more expensive. I'm used to going to about 5 or 6 stores, following the sales, and shopping once a month. It will also mean a change in how I plan what to eat for the day. I think that will be the biggest challenge.

Thanks for the info on the propane. I did see an old propane cooler for sale, but it was old. And when it comes to propane, I tend to worry about leaks and stuff like that. Maybe I can find a newer one.

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:04 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Yeah, thanks explaining all that. I now have a better picture of your situation.
I can see the limitations of living out of a shed as far as restrictions go with the city or county. But if you got a used cargo trailer, for instance, you can go long term, I'm sure. Anything on wheels, such as a tiny house don't require permits, and I think you can live in it as long as you want.
I sort of put the kibosh on a shed or a shipping container, although I'd like to get a nice shed and bring in electricity for a dollhouse shop where I can work on my dollhouses in the future.

But looking at a shed or a container, by the time I paid to have them insulated, plumbed, and electrified to county code, it would cost more than to just buy a mobile home that already has those things.

I've seen a lot of free mobile homes here. Most of them really need some work, but then there are a lot in the $5000 to $10,000 range and some of them look really nice. Dated, but nice.

Here, a tiny home on wheels is in the same category as a trailer or 5th wheel. You can only live out of it 6 months at a time. If you want to live out of it full time, then it has to be a permanent structure and meet the county codes.

I'm lucky I'm going to live in the next county over. The county I'm in now has just passed some stricter codes for the trailers that have been grandfathered in. I used to live in a trailer park that's been here since the 40s, since before the highway was put through. Some of the trailers were from the 40s as well.

Recently, they made the owner redo the trailers that didn't have large enough windows or a second door out of them. He just gave up and gave them away because it was too expensive to redo them. I found this out afterwards, of course, or I could have take one of them.

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
Old 03-03-2019, 04:08 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Also, you can learn a lot from following some of the van dwelling and RV'ing YouTube videos.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:13 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post
Thank you for taking the time to type all of that out. I appreciate it.

I don't blame you for wanting to get out of where you are now.

I've had mice and birds too, as well as rats. I hope you get the pets you want :)
You're welcome! I really want a Doberman again, but the breeders here (the good ones) only breed a litter maybe once every year or two and charge $2600 for their pups. But I still can't have a dog till I get the property fenced and who knows when that will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Thank you, RR! I knew a little about your plans from what you had posted last year. It sounds like a real adventure and makes me realize how much 'stuff' we can do without. Best wishes to you, and keep us posted when you can! I really enjoy your updates.
Oh I will! My biggest worry is my health. But I'm so looking forward to having a garden again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
You might be able to find info on propane refrigeration on some Amish websites. They have traditionally used these, in their non-electric dwellings.
That is an excellent idea! I hadn't thought of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Jon View Post
If you buy a camper trailer you will likely have a gas fridge. Solar is very expensive. A small generator would be a good idea. Just in case of emergency.
If I got a larger trailer, I could have an oil heater. I've seen those and they're on wheels, so if I needed to move it around, I could. By the second year, I expect to have electricity and if I have a shed with an outlet on the outside, I could hook up a small heater for my car. Or in a trailer, I just might be able to hook up to the electricity that way.

In a small trailer, I might be able to put in a very small wood burning stove. Those are really expensive, though, and I'm not a fan of them. I really don't like messing with a generator either. Of course, if another big snow comes along and knocks power out for two days, I'll sure change my mind on that!

Getting plumbing and electricity in a trailer will present a problem. Generally, people who are going to do that are licensed and they may not like doing an illegal hookup. So there's that, too.

------------------------

Tags
cook, cooking, free, freezer