"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2019, 04:15 PM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Also, you can learn a lot from following some of the van dwelling and RV'ing YouTube videos.
I've been watching them. Some of them are quite informative. Others tend to go, say, in another direction. A lot of the info I've picked up seems to be from people who have a bunker and think the world is going to end. They're a little scary to watch, to put it mildly.

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:20 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Also, you can learn a lot from following some of the van dwelling and RV'ing YouTube videos.
I agree, lots of great information on YouTube about off-grid living, homesteading, etc...

I'm also curious about the source of electricity. If you have electricity on the street/road you should be able to have the power company install a construction service that would allow you to have a couple of outlets on a pole. The cost in my area is about twice the cost of regular monthly electric service and can be converted once you have a permanent structure. Even with the higher monthly cost, in the beginning, I think that it would give you so many less expensive options for heating, cooling, entertainment, etc...

Such an interesting and exciting project!!!

Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:23 PM   #23
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
Good for you! Just do it.

I was part of the back to the land movement of the 1970's and loved it. Lived that life until recently.

We built our own composting toilet. From what I have read, it worked much better than the store bought composting toilets. It was a two story structure. Like an outhouse above a cement block holding structure.

https://www.amazon.com/Toilet-Papers...s=books&sr=1-5

Good luck!
I'll have to look at that. Thank you! What I could also do is get a large plastic tank and either use that as an above ground septic tank or have it buried. The difference between that and a septic is that a plastic tank isn't as expensive, but I would need to have it pumped probably every year. The tanks run about $5000 and then I would probably pay to have it put in the ground and I have no idea how much that costs. Putting in a septic system would only cost $10,000 and the ground is already perked and a design is on file for that.

Because I'm on a hill, everything here seeps down to the Canal, which is really ocean. If that weren't the case, I'd just dig a hole and put a toilet over it. But I think I'd rather compost. The soil here is on rock and it's going to be labor intensive enough to bring in good soil for a garden. And composting will cut down on the garbage. Unfortunately, with having to eat out of boxes and cans, my garbage is probably going to pile up fast. That's the one thing I noticed when I started cooking instead of buying take out all the time. My garbage went down and my
dishes went up!

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
Old 03-03-2019, 04:24 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Reason I've been following these videos on YouTube is that one of these days I'm getting a used utility cargo van and turn it into a part time camper. :)
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:35 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I agree, lots of great information on YouTube about off-grid living, homesteading, etc...

I'm also curious about the source of electricity. If you have electricity on the street/road you should be able to have the power company install a construction service that would allow you to have a couple of outlets on a pole. The cost in my area is about twice the cost of regular monthly electric service and can be converted once you have a permanent structure. Even with the higher monthly cost, in the beginning, I think that it would give you so many less expensive options for heating, cooling, entertainment, etc...

Such an interesting and exciting project!!!
Electricity is there, but I need a transformer on the property. It will cost about $5000 to put that in and then however much more it will cost to bring in the electric. I think it's one transformer to every two properties, so I don't know if I'd get refunded $2500 if someone developed the lot next to mine. There aren't any poles here because all the electric is underground.

I used to think that was awesome until I realized it still connects to an above ground power grid and that gets knocked out on a regular basis.

I think I'd feel more excited about it if I weren't so old!

------------------------
Old 03-03-2019, 04:39 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

rr, I've been following this thread since you started it and still haven't decided if you are very brave or a little crazy. : wink: Probably a little bit of each.

I have suggestions for two other websites that might help you. Lehman Hardware has been in OH Amish Country for decades. They are a good resource for non-electric options, whether you buy or just window shop. https://www.lehmans.com

The Mother Earth News magazine has been around longer than I have been around for ages also. Lots of good info on their website if you don't want to subscribe. https://www.motherearthnews.com

Good luck!

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you. ~ BB King
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:41 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Reason I've been following these videos on YouTube is that one of these days I'm getting a used utility cargo van and turn it into a part time camper. :)
An econoline van would be nice. A truck with a camper shell on the back would be nice too, but you need the kind of camper shells that are insulated with a light in them. Not the plastic kind.

I think the smaller the better. Campers are fine, but if you're driving the country, a van is much more unnoticeable and much easier to find parking for. You can park a van in a parking lot under a shade tree and no one will think twice about it.

I lived in my car for about 3 months and if you're interested, I could tell you how I had that set up.

------------------------
Old 03-03-2019, 04:45 PM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
rr, I've been following this thread since you started it and still haven't decided if you are very brave or a little crazy. : wink: Probably a little bit of each.

I have suggestions for two other websites that might help you. Lehman Hardware has been in OH Amish Country for decades. They are a good resource for non-electric options, whether you buy or just window shop. https://www.lehmans.com

The Mother Earth News magazine has been around longer than I have been around for ages also. Lots of good info on their website if you don't want to subscribe. https://www.motherearthnews.com

Good luck!
Probably more crazy than brave. I lived out of my truck (camper shell on back) for 6 years back in the 90s in California when rent was going up so fast and I couldn't find a place I could afford (I was working a minimum wage job while I went to school in those years). So I pretty much know what I'm capable of doing. But whether it's feasible at my age - that's the big question. I'm 30 years older now and for all I know, I'm getting senile and maybe that's why I think I can do this.

I like Mother Earth. Our local library carries it and I used to go in there and read it every month. Thank you for the link to the Amish catalog. I'm going to go look at that right now. Where's our thumb's up smiley?

------------------------
Old 03-04-2019, 08:48 AM   #29
Master Chef

A website that could be helpful to you is Homesteading Today.

https://www.homesteadingtoday.com/

To get answers for your cooking questions for might try the first forum listed, Homesteading Questions, or a little further down, the Cooking forum. But you would probably have the most luck down in the Specialty Forums, Survival and Emergency Preparedness. This website is not for the faint of heart!

Also, check your library for the magazine "Countryside". It used to be called "Countryside and Small Stock Journal", don't remember when the name changed. It has been published since 1917 and generally has more accurate, practical, and helpful advice than the Mother Earth News. The Mother Earth News is geared more for the wannabes; Countryside is geared for the folks actually doing it.

https://countrysidenetwork.com/magazines/
Old 03-04-2019, 04:13 PM   #30
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
You're welcome! I really want a Doberman again, but the breeders here (the good ones) only breed a litter maybe once every year or two and charge $2600 for their pups. But I still can't have a dog till I get the property fenced and who knows when that will be.
I love Dobermans. But wow, that's expensive!

Linda0818 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cook, cooking, free, freezer