Corn Dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
For whatever reason the batter I make doesn't stick onto the dogs. What can I do to improove that?

Make sure that the dogs are completely dry before dipping.

Preheat the deep fryer. The batter should be thick. I've had better luck dipping them twice. After the first see how it's holding up. If necessary dip it again and put it in the fryer before it has a chance to change it's mind.

<----- Asleep at the keyboard. :cool:

Munky.

There's a trick and a secret....

Trick: Pat the dogs dry and then roll them in cornstarch. Tap off the excess and then dip into batter. Fry them immediately ;)

Secret: let your batter set up for a few minutes before dipping.

Last edited:
Maybe that is what my problem was. I draged the hot dogs in the flour. Next time I will try cornstarch, thanks.

There's a trick and a secret....

Trick: Pat the dogs dry and then roll them in cornstarch. Tap off the excess and then dip into batter. Fry them immediately ;)

Secret: let your batter set up for a few minutes before dipping.

Flour seems to work in the same way. Dry, roll in flour and tap off excess before it goes in the batter. We also put the batter in one of those condiment squeeze bottles. The depth of the bottle allows the whole dog to be dipped all at once.

Ok, if flour and starch work the same then the next question would be what sticks better the thick or a thinner batter?

ATK did a segment on corn dogs recently. Since I do not eat hotdogs, I didn't pay a lot of attention. I do seem to recall that the discussion centered around how to get the coating to stick to the dog. Corn dogs are one of those foods I just don't get.

Back
Top Bottom