"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 06-02-2006, 08:49 AM   #11
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Harold McGee gives a good couple or so pages description in his book "On Food and Cooking - The Science and Lore of the Kitchen"
Of course, McGee would have the info on this... thanks

Favorite Quote: "Time Flies Like an Arrow - Fruit Flies Like a Banana"
Groucho Marx
Hopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:30 PM   #12
Corn Syrup

Corn Syrup or High Fructose Corn Sugar (HFCS) has a lot of uses. Just look for it in about all of the prepared foods you buy from cakes to ketchup. Yes it is used in homebrewing for carbonation ( and personal exprience tells me it works well) and it can be used for about anything cane sugar can.
There is a line of thinking, and I believe it has some merit, that HFCS is the cause of childhood obesity in many American children as it is found in so many ready to eat prepared foods and in soda pop, even diet. Those couple of carbon atoms cause it to be metabolized in the liver and as such can lead to cirhossis and juvenile diabetes in adults. It has a long shelf life and is a favorite of corn growers everywhere. While I am not a doctor I would urge caution in its use. Anybody else have any other opinions? I would like to hear them.

MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:24 PM   #13
Master Chef
When I was a kid, Karo corn syrup was an ingredient in baby formula (I'm the eldest of a crowd, so know these things). It was included to keep babies regular. I learned in more recent years that some docs recommend a dollop added to canned formula when babies are having a problem with regularity.

It's sugar.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote