Cornbread Stuffing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Ok, I'm going to "wing it" and improvise something here. In the past year, I have perfected my homemade cornbread recipe. Here's the recipe:

Cornbread Stuffing
Yields: 6 servings

about 4 c cornbread
2 T vegetable oil
½ c diced onions
½ c diced celery
1 t minced garlic
1 t salt
1 t ground black pepper
1 t thyme
1 t sage
1 c chicken stock
2 egg, beaten

NOTE: Use an 8” cast iron skillet for this one, and you can actually bake the dressing in the same pan as you sauté the vegetables in.
Heat a pan over high heat. Add the oil. Reduce heat to medium, and add the onions, celery, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, and sage. Sauté until onions are soft and transparent, and lightly caramelized. While this is cooking, crumble the cornbread.. When the onions are lightly browned, remove from the heat, and add the crumbled cornbread and stir. Add the chicken stock and mix thoroughly. The mixture should be fairly wet. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Press the mixture firmly into the baking dish (or use the cast iron skillet). Bake at 350°F for one hour.

Ok, you wanted a bread dressing. Over on the Bread forum, I posted a recipe for an Onion Bread. IMHO, this bread formulation is perfect for stuffing or dressing. Bake a batch of that formulation up, or use whatever you have on hand. Also, when you're seasoning and/or trussing up your bird, cut some of the fat and/or skin from the tail. Fry that in the pan you're going to cook the veggies (and hopefully, bake the dressing in). When you have rendered the fat, remove the crusty remains. Saute the ingredients in the chicken fat. You may want to add a little clarified butter for a buttery flavor. Proceed as directed.

Disclaimer: I have not tried this recipe with bread, only cornbread. I don't know if it will work or not. Try it, and if something needs changing, by all means, change it!

Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom