"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Seinfeld reference, Andy?

MAJOR shrinkage!!
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:01 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
225* is not braising....It's boiling. Turn your heat down to where the liquid is barley, barely simmering/moving at all. ~~~ It's done when a fork slides in and out effortlessly....not because you cooked it 4 hours or any other specific amount of time. ~~ Allow the meat to rest/cool awhile before attempting to slice...slicing it hot sometimes causes the meat to tear/shred/crumble. ~~~ Slice thinly with a sharp knife, and across the grain. HTH

Edit....I assumed you cooked it stove top...not in the oven. If 225* was your oven temp, setting then disregard the boiling comment.
__________________

__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #13
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mostly in my head
Posts: 2,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm odd, I like to eat my corned beef like others eat string cheese. Actually, I like corned beef anyway I can get it!
I love corned beef that falls apart. I also like it still firm but eating it "like string cheese" is my favorite. I can't eat cooked head cabbage, purple or green. I get violently ill. I loved it as a kid but around the time I hit puberty it started making me really sick. I can eat cooked napa cabbage though so I sub it or rutabaga in for head cabbage. Mmmm, now I want corned beef and rutabaga.
__________________
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #14
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
225* is not braising....It's boiling. Turn your heat down to where the liquid is barley, barely simmering/moving at all. ~~~ It's done when a fork slides in and out effortlessly....not because you cooked it 4 hours or any other specific amount of time. ~~ Allow the meat to rest/cool awhile before attempting to slice...slicing it hot sometimes causes the meat to tear/shred/crumble. ~~~ Slice thinly with a sharp knife, and across the grain. HTH

Edit....I assumed you cooked it stove top...not in the oven. If 225* was your oven temp, setting then disregard the boiling comment.
the recipe I used (from food network) told me to bake it in 300 degrees lol, I thought it was too high so I lowered it down to 225. I used to braise meat as low as 170
__________________
Hyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #15
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
Yum! I would love to make some overcooked corned beef myself now, you're inspired me to over do mine..lol! I think I'll shred the meat and make pasties :)
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #16
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Yum! I would love to make some overcooked corned beef myself now, you're inspired me to over do mine..lol! I think I'll shred the meat and make pasties :)
lol just as long as you aren't trying to slice it that thin it'll work and still tastes good. it's especially good when you pack the whole thing into a hash
__________________
Hyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #17
Master Chef
 
Snip 13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brakpan, South Africa
Posts: 5,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
lol just as long as you aren't trying to slice it that thin it'll work and still tastes good. it's especially good when you pack the whole thing into a hash
Noted..lol!
__________________
Odette
"I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass."

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #18
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm odd, I like to eat my corned beef like others eat string cheese. Actually, I like corned beef anyway I can get it!
I love it that way too! I do cut it across the grain, but I always peel off a few strings and eat them before I slice the rest of it.
__________________

__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
beef

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.