"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Crème fraîche

I've really been wanting to try this scrambled eggs recipe with Crème fraîche or even with strawberries. The problem is I can't find Crème fraîche anywhere. All the supermarkets I've gone to don't carry it and/or have never heard of it.

Does anyone here use it? If, so where can I get it so I can try it?

Old 02-15-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
Head Chef

I've seen it at Trader Joe's and at Whole Foods.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I've never seen it in a store, most of the time I've had it the person serving it has made it themselves. Have you googled for recipes? Try this Google list.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:53 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I think you can use sour cream as a subsitute
Old 02-16-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
Cook

I've seen it for sale a time or two, but I've never bought it so I can't recommend a brand or a vendor. I usually substitute yogurt.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Sour cream with a little plain yogurt, or heck just sour cream is a fine substitute. If using the sour cream, just whip it and let it sit at room temp for a bit.

Even if/when you do find creme fraiche in the store, there will be a jacked up price to accompany it. It is simply cultured cream. The only distinct advantage is you can cook with creme fraiche without the risk of curdling and it has a LONG shelf life, but for just finishing a dish save yourself 5 bucks...sour cream.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:45 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Sour cream with a little plain yogurt, or heck just sour cream is a fine substitute. If using the sour cream, just whip it and let it sit at room temp for a bit.

Even if/when you do find creme fraiche in the store, there will be a jacked up price to accompany it. It is simply cultured cream. The only distinct advantage is you can cook with creme fraiche without the risk of curdling and it has a LONG shelf life, but for just finishing a dish save yourself 5 bucks...sour cream.
I tried using sour cream when I made Chicken Saltimbocca on Sunday. I wish I had whipped it, because when I made my sauce, it seemed to separate. It was still a good dish, just lacked in presentation. I think next time, I'll try to make my own creme fraiche.

Do you know what would cause the sauce to separate? I have used sour cream before, and it hasn't been a problem. My sauce consisted of leftover butter, olive oil, brown bits (after browning the chicken), crimini mushrooms, sage leaves, water and wine. I added the sour cream at the end, after taking it off the heat.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:54 AM   #8
Head Chef

Make your own! It's similar to cream cheese, but it's definitely not the same. It has more bite / tang and isn't nearly as thick:

• 1 cup whipping cream mixed with 2 tablespoons buttermilk.
  • Combine well in a covered glass jar. Let stand at room temperature 12-24 hours, or until thickened. Shake it a couple of times. (The warmer the room, the better! 75 degrees is ideal.)
  • Use within a week.

It's to-die-for with fresh berries, rhubarb-strawberry cobbler, in your smashed and/or mashed potatoes or in soups. And don't forget to put some on top of your scones!

Z

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote