Crème fraîche

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marvinq

Assistant Cook
I've really been wanting to try this scrambled eggs recipe with Crème fraîche or even with strawberries. The problem is I can't find Crème fraîche anywhere. All the supermarkets I've gone to don't carry it and/or have never heard of it.

Does anyone here use it? If, so where can I get it so I can try it?

Sour cream with a little plain yogurt, or heck just sour cream is a fine substitute. If using the sour cream, just whip it and let it sit at room temp for a bit.

Even if/when you do find creme fraiche in the store, there will be a jacked up price to accompany it. It is simply cultured cream. The only distinct advantage is you can cook with creme fraiche without the risk of curdling and it has a LONG shelf life, but for just finishing a dish save yourself 5 bucks...sour cream.

Sour cream with a little plain yogurt, or heck just sour cream is a fine substitute. If using the sour cream, just whip it and let it sit at room temp for a bit.

Even if/when you do find creme fraiche in the store, there will be a jacked up price to accompany it. It is simply cultured cream. The only distinct advantage is you can cook with creme fraiche without the risk of curdling and it has a LONG shelf life, but for just finishing a dish save yourself 5 bucks...sour cream.
I tried using sour cream when I made Chicken Saltimbocca on Sunday. I wish I had whipped it, because when I made my sauce, it seemed to separate. It was still a good dish, just lacked in presentation. I think next time, I'll try to make my own creme fraiche.

Do you know what would cause the sauce to separate? I have used sour cream before, and it hasn't been a problem. My sauce consisted of leftover butter, olive oil, brown bits (after browning the chicken), crimini mushrooms, sage leaves, water and wine. I added the sour cream at the end, after taking it off the heat.

Make your own! It's similar to cream cheese, but it's definitely not the same. It has more bite / tang and isn't nearly as thick:

• 1 cup whipping cream mixed with 2 tablespoons buttermilk.
  • Combine well in a covered glass jar. Let stand at room temperature 12-24 hours, or until thickened. Shake it a couple of times. (The warmer the room, the better! 75 degrees is ideal.)
  • Use within a week.

It's to-die-for with fresh berries, rhubarb-strawberry cobbler, in your smashed and/or mashed potatoes or in soups. And don't forget to put some on top of your scones!

:heart:
Z

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom