"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-06-2008, 10:37 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Water crackers, melba toast....pretty much any cracker without flavoring added. I like some herb flavored ones but I usually top them with a variety of cheeses and cured meats. Flavored ones just ruin the moment. lol

Old 11-06-2008, 10:48 AM   #12
Master Chef

My favorite crackers, hands-down, are "Stoned Wheat Thins". (The regular, not the low sodium.) Great with EVERYTHING - caviar, cheese, dips.

After that, all other crackers are pretty much a toss-up for me unless I have a particular purpose for a specific type.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
My favorite crackers, hands-down, are "Stoned Wheat Thins". (The regular, not the low sodium.) Great with EVERYTHING - caviar, cheese, dips.
I love those too. Those are my standard go to cracker. I love most other types too, but these are the ones I grab most of the time.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:53 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Water crackers, melba toast....pretty much any cracker without flavoring added. I like some herb flavored ones but I usually top them with a variety of cheeses and cured meats. Flavored ones just ruin the moment. lol
Whaaat? That's like saying rye bread ruins a reuben sandwich
Flavored crackers should be taken for what they are, flavored. You don't need to eat them with anything to enjoy them. Twenty million overweight americans can't be wrong.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:11 AM   #15
Certified Cake Maniac

On the subject of crackers, I saw a very unusual site Tuesday evening. We were going out to friends and I had just gotten in the car and was waiting for DH. This young man (probably about 14 or 15) from the building across the street came walking past the car with of all things in his hand to munch on, a 3/4 full sleeve of saltines!!!! No chips or halloween candy for this teen - just plain crackers!

Either his Mom is bringing him up right or he was desperate for a salty snack and it was all he could find!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:12 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Flavored crackers should be taken for what they are, flavored. You don't need to eat them with anything to enjoy them. Twenty million overweight americans can't be wrong.
Count me in! Cheezit are one of my favorites. When we buy them, we have to buy two boxes, and hide both of them, or the kids will have them gone in a matter or hours.

I also like Ritz and club crackers. My MIL insists that we keep regular saltines on hand at all times. She just loves to spread some margarine on them, or peanut butter.

I used to make this cracker when I worked up in MI:

Buttermilk Cracker
Yields: ~ 5 servings

1 c flour, plus extra for dusting
4 T ( stick) butter
c buttermilk, in all
Salt and pepper to taste
Egg white, lightly beaten

Cut the butter into the flour with a pastry blender, or by hand, until it reassembles coarse crumbs. Add half the buttermilk, and mix together just until it starts to form a firm dough. Use more of the buttermilk if needed. Form into a flattened disk, and wrap with plastic wrap. Chill for 30 minutes
Completely clean a work table. Dust the table top, and a rolling pin with the extra flour. Unwrap the dough and roll out until thin. Transfer the dough to a parchment-lined sheet pan, brush with the egg white, and season to taste with the salt and pepper.
Bake in a 325F oven for 8 - 12 minutes, or until the cracker is no longer soft and has browned attractively. Allow the cracker to cool, then store in an airtight container.
NOTES: To help keep the cracker crisp, store a small sachet of salt, or a desiccant pack with the cracker. Also, you get a better yield if you roll the cracker very thin, about 1/16” thick, however, it is very brittle. A thicker cracker, about 1/8”, will not have as much yield, but will be better suited for scooping any topping.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:14 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

If he had had a Dr P in the other hand he could have been me, Laurie! I can easily go through a sleeve of saltines.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:15 AM   #18
Master Chef

Nabisco also makes a whole grain soda cracker that's very tasty, but the little crunchy bits in then hurt my teeth.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:20 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to GrantsKat
Hands down TRICUITS!!!! Plain or with an apple slice & cheddar....well heck you can put ANYTHING on them!! YUM!
.....I have some cracked black pepper & olive oil ones in the cabinet...excuse me while I grab a few!

Saltines come in a close second!

Babymaker
GrantsKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:20 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Whaaat? That's like saying rye bread ruins a reuben sandwich
Sorry, I just couldn't top a Cheezit with a piece of aged white cheddar and prosciutto.